• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 2:30 pm
[OP]
Jan 1, 2011
648 posts
184 upvotes
Etobicoke

[Princess Auto] 2-pack 6 ft HDMI cables for $4.99

2-pack of 6-foot HDMI cables is on sale at Princess Auto all month long. You get a screen cleaning solution and cleaning cloth as part of the deal.

I'm sure one can order these cheaper from cable-centric places online, but in this day and age getting 2 cables at a local brick-and-mortar for $5 strikes me as decent.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3909 posts
2435 upvotes
Vancouver
Although probably not an issue, the description of "Full HD up to 1,440p " would have me concerned about how old the stock is. As in is it old enough (10 yrs old) to actually not be HDMI 2.0? Might be better off going with dollarama or amazonbasic if you are using it on a 4k tv (just because RFDers have confirmed both are 2.0).
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3238 posts
3266 upvotes
GTA
They may not be 2.0 because they sell another cable by the same brand with 2.0 in the description.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2011
648 posts
184 upvotes
Etobicoke
Just did some Googling around, and I wonder if possibly the product in my original post is in fact this:

http://www.xtremecables.net/4PCHDMIValuePack.aspx

The PA web page doesn't show the packaging, just the contents, but it seems to be identical to the above based on the description. If I get a chance to swing by the local PA store tomorrow, I'll check the item out and report back.

I am no expert on the various HDMI standards, but the web link above claims up to 18 Gb transfer rate and 4K support.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2011
648 posts
184 upvotes
Etobicoke
Okay, I popped into the store this afternoon. The item is identical to what I guessed in post #4 above. Package says 4K resolution, Bluray 3D, 18 Gbps transfer rate. Make of that what you will...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19256 posts
5345 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: Although probably not an issue, the description of "Full HD up to 1,440p " would have me concerned about how old the stock is. As in is it old enough (10 yrs old) to actually not be HDMI 2.0? Might be better off going with dollarama or amazonbasic if you are using it on a 4k tv (just because RFDers have confirmed both are 2.0).
Technically, there is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable, just Standard and High Speed. There are good cables (some certified), not so good cables, and bad cables. I dunno about the Amazon Basic cables, but the Dollarama cables are not so good to bad. However, even if a cable is not so good, it often will work just fine, esp. if it's a short cable. I suspect that Princess Auto $5 a pair cables are roughly on par with Dollarama cables. ie. For 6 foot cables, it will probably usually be OK, but don't be completely surprised if you get occasional problems with some hardware combinations.

Basically, what you really want is a certified High Speed cable, but many if not most cables labelled High Speed don't meet certification spec, and thus most such cables aren't certified. And basically none of the el cheapo cables are certified, but what's annoying is some noname brand cables will be falsely labelled as certified. Thus, it can be very difficult to navigate amongst the plethora of cables out there.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3909 posts
2435 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: Technically, there is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable, just Standard and High Speed. There are good cables (some certified), not so good cables, and bad cables. I dunno about the Amazon Basic cables, but the Dollarama cables are not so good to bad. However, even if a cable is not so good, it often will work just fine, esp. if it's a short cable. I suspect that Princess Auto $5 a pair cables are roughly on par with Dollarama cables. ie. For 6 foot cables, it will probably usually be OK, but don't be completely surprised if you get occasional problems with some hardware combinations.

Basically, what you really want is a certified High Speed cable, but many if not most cables labelled High Speed don't meet certification spec, and thus most such cables aren't certified. And basically none of the el cheapo cables are certified, but what's annoying is some noname brand cables will be falsely labelled as certified. Thus, it can be very difficult to navigate amongst the plethora of cables out there.
True except some old stock might not be good enough, which is why i suggested it might or might not be an issue. Personally i stick with amazonbasics because if im spending 100s or 1000s on a tv, i think the few $ difference isnt worth any possible issues with the cable (as slim as it is).

I stated dollarama cables just because some rfders seem to recommend them or confirm they work for 4k/hdr. Plus if you wait for a sale, you could get amazonbasic 3pk 10 feet for just over $10 (boxing day was the last sale and i bought 3 then).
Aug 4, 2006
611 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
PA has an easy return policy ... just buy and if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you - simply return it.

Is Monster brand cables still been sold at Best Buy? :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2048 posts
722 upvotes
Ottawa
2flags wrote: Is Monster brand cables still been sold at Best Buy? :twisted:
Right next to the Bose speakers.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19256 posts
5345 upvotes
Toronto
2flags wrote: PA has an easy return policy ... just buy and if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you - simply return it.
That's fine if it has problems right off the bat. The problem with a lot of these cheap cables though is you don't notice issues until you swap equipment.

In a way at this price it's not a big deal since if you have problems later, you can just throw it away. My main issue with this philosophy though is the time spent troubleshooting. That is not so say that $20 6-foot better built cables don't have problems because they sometimes do, but depending upon the brand, the problems may be less frequent.

I find a reasonable compromise is the HDMI cables that Costco sometimes sells. They may sell a pair of High Speed 10-foot cables for $20, and they're usually half decent, and definitely a step up in reliability from the crap Dollarama sells. But Dollarama sells cables for just $3 - $4, and the Dollarama stuff may still just work fine.
Is Monster brand cables still been sold at Best Buy? :twisted:
Ironically, Monster brand cables are almost always better than the el cheapo noname brand stuff. Monster's issue here is not the quality as some of their stuff is actually reasonably decent. Not awesome, but decent. The issue is the fact that they charge 5-10X too much. If Monster sold their $150 cables for $25, it might actually be a reasonable deal in some cases.