Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

33 ft 16 Gauge Triple-End Outdoor Extension Cord - $13.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2021 9:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
zing31 wrote: Yeah I'm referring to 1 garage outlet, wondering if there's a difference between both tools plugged into 1 triple-tap extension cord (plugged into 1 of 2 plugs) or each tool plugged into 2 different extension cords, each plugged into the 2 plugs on the outlet. I've run both tools from this outlet without extension cords before without tripping the breaker. My concern is the warning on triple-outlet extension cords "combined load of all items at one time must not exceed amperage rating of cord". Based on that I'm thinking the 2 separate cords might be the way to go
If you haven't tripped the breaker then you haven't went over 15 amps. You are fine with 1 cord.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 21, 2017
165 posts
38 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Are the outlets on the same circuit? If so it doesn't matter and if your running both at the same time, you could be blowing your breaker

14 is fine
cable rating.png
If i look at this rating table it says 0-50 feet 14/3 good carries upto 15 amp and 50 + feet it carries upto 13 amps .....so 50 feet is on the borderline and wondering if 50 feet 14/3 will can really carry 14 amps?
Dec 27, 2007
279 posts
167 upvotes
Duuuuude wrote: I've run my table saws, angle grinders, and impact wrenches off of "cheap" cords like this and never had an issue. Perfectly fine for a DIYer.
ditto, plus snow thrower, battery charger, dethatcher... for over 10 years on the same 16G extension cord. Guess I'm lucky!
Jun 28, 2021
501 posts
680 upvotes
aaleemm wrote:
cable rating.png
If i look at this rating table it says 0-50 feet 14/3 good carries upto 15 amp and 50 + feet it carries upto 13 amps .....so 50 feet is on the borderline and wondering if 50 feet 14/3 will can really carry 14 amps?
The distance ratings aren't really absolute and they're more about safety than what the wire actually carries. Wires of basically any length will carry the amperage you need, but they'll get hot and lose voltage if they're too skinny.

So for 15 amps, a 51 foot 14 gauge wire would probably be fine to use even though it's out of the recommended range, but a 60 foot wire might get hot enough to be unsafe (or the voltage might drop so much that it causes issues).

Since you'd be running less than 15 amps at 50 feet, I think that's fine and I would be comfortable using a 14 gauge extension cord. Not to mention that you'd be using the cord in the winter, so it's not like it would have a chance to heat up much even if it was undersized ;)

One thing to consider is whether the cord will get stiff in winter weather though. Some cords are specifically designed to stay bendy in the cold.

Edit - if you really want a 12 gauge for peace of mind, PA has 40 foot 12 gauge for $40:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/40-ft-1 ... 0008948929
Last edited by watchoutforgeese on Oct 20th, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link for relevant product
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
townie22 wrote: They (PA) also have a triple end, 14 gauge, 25 foot extension cord on sale for $14.99, regular $29.99 https://www.princessauto.com/en/25-ft-1 ... 0008058265
Yes this was posted in the second page, post #29

I agree it's a better deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
radeonboy wrote: Yes this was posted in the second page, post #29

I agree it's a better deal.
ooops, sorry, my bad. Seems sale on both is over now. I was actually going to grab a couple today, planning ahead for Xmas decorating outside.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
townie22 wrote: ooops, sorry, my bad. Seems sale on both is over now. I was actually going to grab a couple today, planning ahead for Xmas decorating outside.
One good thing about this one is that for Xmas decorating this won't be highly visible as the bright yellow ones. Shame the sale finished.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)