• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2003
230 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton

[Princess Auto] 4 to 16-1/2 in. Tire Changer $69.99

4 to 16-1/2 in. Tire Changer going for $69.99 @ Princess Auto.
Seems like a good deal. Anyone try this? Thoughts?
I do have a car with 16" steelies and another with 18" alloys. Not sure if you could do 18" tires with this?
For alloy rims, I think the breaker bar can be coated with plastic material to protect from scratching rims.
I don't like the thought of drilling holes in the floor but maybe I could mount it on my backyard sidewalk blocks or a pallet...

Rice
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 18th, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
12 replies
May 11, 2009
384 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think this would suffice for car use. You'd need to balance the tires afterwards anyways, which this doesn't do.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3755 posts
4403 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
this is fine for atv type tires, motorcycle too I guess
It was too hard to get it to work on a car tire (you could use balancing beads for that)
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14869 posts
15720 upvotes
Oakville
RiceKing wrote: 4 to 16-1/2 in. Tire Changer going for $69.99 @ Princess Auto.
Seems like a good deal. Anyone try this? Thoughts?
I do have a car with 16" steelies and another with 18" alloys. Not sure if you could do 18" tires with this?
For alloy rims, I think the breaker bar can be coated with plastic material to protect from scratching rims.
I don't like the thought of drilling holes in the floor but maybe I could mount it on my backyard sidewalk blocks or a pallet...
[/img]
It says right in the name that it only does up to 16.5in rims, so it's not going to do your 18in rims.

Rice
May 4, 2001
49 posts
35 upvotes
Nice find! Usually these manual tire changers are +$120.00 off Amazon. Use a bubble balancer with stick on lead weights to balance your tires and you'll recoup all your money back in just 2 tires changes (all four tires).
[OP]
Jan 5, 2003
230 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton
headhunt3r wrote: I don't think this would suffice for car use. You'd need to balance the tires afterwards anyways, which this doesn't do.
Yeah, I would have to get a bubble balancer, weights, etc. Please don't tell my wife.
Your text to link here...
[OP]
Jan 5, 2003
230 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton
I've seen people comment on similar tire changers that they claimed to have done 17" and even 20" but I'm not sure so sure...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4050 posts
1305 upvotes
WFH
RiceKing wrote: I don't like the thought of drilling holes in the floor but maybe I could mount it on my backyard sidewalk blocks or a pallet...
I tried the pallet route and can tell you it's a lot easier to use when installed on a solid surface. I ended up drilling four holes in my garage floor and installing some drop in anchors. I store the tool out of the way and bolt it to the floor only when I need to use it. Works well once you've perfected the technique.
May 11, 2009
384 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver
RiceKing wrote: Yeah, I would have to get a bubble balancer, weights, etc. Please don't tell my wife.
Your text to link here...
:) Promise I won't.
While I'm all for DIY to save money, I'm not sure this is an area that's worth the invest and hassle. I had to install a set of tires I ordered online recently, and just ended up finding a mom/pop shop that did all 4 tires installed and balanced for $70 cash. Mind you they were small tires (14" wheels), but the infrequency of replacing tires (even with 3 cars at home) makes going down the DIY route not worth it for me, and likely many others alike. Having said that, If this is your wheelhouse (no pun intended), then enjoy!
Jul 9, 2014
639 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto, ON
it is not worth it. It will cause more trouble if your tire not properly pop. And it will cost you money for balancing.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1254 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
These are brutal for scratching rims. Maybe fine for atv etc but I'd never put a car wheel in there...
·Ï¢årµ§·