4-Person Ice Fishing Hut $74.93

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2023 3:11 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6936 posts
8780 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
poopooplatter wrote: Can someone explain to me the appeal of this "sport"?
It's kind of like asking why people like to go camping. You leave your house, which has TV, internet, air conditioning, running water, food........ and you go out into the forest with mosquitos and spiders everywhere and sleep on the ground in a tent and eat camping food then come home a few days later smelling like dirt. And people pay for that privilege. To some people that would make very little sense. Yet people love camping. So if you can understand why people go camping, then you can understand why someone would buy a tent and go ice fishing. It's basically winter camping. And in the winter, people go stir crazy and they need to find a reason to get out. Ice fishing gives an excuse to do that.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3734 posts
913 upvotes
Hamilton
For the last 10 years me and a group of buddies rent ice bungalows and stay (and sleep) out on the ice for a 2-3 days.

It's a blast. Holes right in the floor of the hut for fishing while laying in a bunk drinking beer. Perfect for that early morning and late night bite. We usually spend the day outside on the ice.

Huts come with a propane furnace, propane cook top and an outhouse. It's the winter version of camping. Highly recommend trying it.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1833 posts
411 upvotes
Winnipeg
Panet Rd. Winnipeg has about a dozen left at the front door.
Used a 15 off $75 coupon. Great deal.
Apr 2, 2022
43 posts
48 upvotes
YoloGME wrote: This ice hut is made by Altan - same brand as this one selling at sail ( https://www.sail.ca/en/altan-polar-ice- ... -082300001 ). The one at Sail is a bit bigger 91 vs 72 inches L/W with same height, and only 300D vs 600D fabric.

I wonder why the princess auto one is selling for so much less.
Just got to princess auto - it’s the same one but with 600D vs 300D.
Images
  • C13FC9B5-1C67-40B7-95E8-290E939AB308.jpeg
Apr 9, 2011
88 posts
26 upvotes
This fits at most 3 people. If it's windy outside with gusts, it will blow away. Holding it with heavy stuff might work, but last season this tent flew right over us. We luckily caught it and didn't have to chase it down the river.

For $75 it's a sweet deal. But just wanted to note the reality for people who haven't ice fished before.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
1124 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TSLA88 wrote: Bought this last year for about the same price. FYI, you can fit 2 at most comfortably with gear.
I was wondering how the hell you'd fit 4 people in a 6x6 space AND fish
Mar 1, 2015
37 posts
15 upvotes
St Catharines, ON
Same applies if you have an accessibility permit( Handicap Permit)

No fishin license required!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7114 posts
3632 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Wow awesome price. Too bad we already got one at can tire on clearance last November for like 150$... I'm still tempted to order it and keep it as a backup in case ours eventually break :)
Feb 13, 2021
550 posts
550 upvotes
adamtheman wrote: It's kind of like asking why people like to go camping. You leave your house, which has TV, internet, air conditioning, running water, food........ and you go out into the forest with mosquitos and spiders everywhere and sleep on the ground in a tent and eat camping food then come home a few days later smelling like dirt. And people pay for that privilege. To some people that would make very little sense. Yet people love camping. So if you can understand why people go camping, then you can understand why someone would buy a tent and go ice fishing. It's basically winter camping. And in the winter, people go stir crazy and they need to find a reason to get out. Ice fishing gives an excuse to do that.
Camping's no fun anymore. No more running through the DDT mist behind the mosquito fogging truck driving through the campground.
Apr 24, 2009
86 posts
58 upvotes
Surrey
adamtheman wrote:
If you haven't watched Camping with Steve lately, then you might not know yet... but... beautiful wife passed away Crying FaceCrying FaceCrying Face Very tragic. She was only 31 years old. She was a school teacher in Edmonton. She passed away in her sleep suddenly.

https://www.connelly-mckinley.com/obitu ... ey-hatton/
"Passed away in sleep suddenly"... far too common these past 2 years.
May 1, 2007
333 posts
64 upvotes
I've only been ice fishing once, and it was with a buddy who had converted a trailer into an ice shack and had a huge wood stove in it... -35C outside, over +35C inside, it was amazing. I can't imagine ice fishing in a tent.
Jan 27, 2013
253 posts
311 upvotes
I tried fitting a cot in mine, but it had to go diagonal, not very useful. But it is great as a temporary back yard man cave. I don't ice fish either.
Sep 8, 2014
598 posts
1995 upvotes
adamtheman wrote: It's kind of like asking why people like to go camping. You leave your house, which has TV, internet, air conditioning, running water, food........ and you go out into the forest with mosquitos and spiders everywhere and sleep on the ground in a tent and eat camping food then come home a few days later smelling like dirt. And people pay for that privilege. To some people that would make very little sense. Yet people love camping. So if you can understand why people go camping, then you can understand why someone would buy a tent and go ice fishing. It's basically winter camping. And in the winter, people go stir crazy and they need to find a reason to get out. Ice fishing gives an excuse to do that.
Camping = spending an exorbitant amount of money to live like you're homeless.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2578 posts
1324 upvotes
Hometown
Johndaly wrote: Spending time outside is great for your health. And you can easily do it with friends/family.

Freshly caught fish is delicious is fun to cook.

It can be a very challenging sport which makes a successful day feel rewarding.

Did I mention the delicious food?
True... Some people have never had fresh caught perch fillets with dollar fries and maple baked beans on the ice. And it shows too LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1151 posts
929 upvotes
I just bought an IR sauna but theres a few posts I came across where people turn these into steam saunas

Its been a bad year for ice fishing. Too warm unfortunately
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2288 posts
1932 upvotes
What happens if the ice cracks. You and your tent will go under

Wallet safe

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)