2065 upvotes
ontario
^^ you're still here? why? ^^

we get it. ice fishing's not for you.
Mar 10, 2012
323 posts
325 upvotes
THORNHILL
mxthor3 wrote: You aren't anchoring this type of popup hut down before opening it up. Setting this type of hut up when it's real windy out isn't exactly fun.
That's absurd, of course you can.

Put an anchor in the ice, tie it to one of the guy out points, pop up the shelter.

I think I've always had wind setting mine up (Lake Simcoe). The first time a gust of wind almost took it away. Ever since it gets tied off before I pop it up...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2749 posts
3810 upvotes
Barrie, ON
brianl999 wrote: That's absurd, of course you can.

Put an anchor in the ice, tie it to one of the guy out points, pop up the shelter.

I think I've always had wind setting mine up (Lake Simcoe). The first time a gust of wind almost took it away. Ever since it gets tied off before I pop it up...
Perhaps my memory is really bad, lol. I'm usually taking my Clam out (flip over). The older I get the less I want to fish Simcoe (wind, weather, crowds etc)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
2330 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
Not to mention Family Day weekend for ice fishing is the perfect family outing. Been doing it for the past 2 years and the kids love it!
If you're seeing this message, it means I cared enough to downvote or felt the need to upvote. Either way you get a👎/ 👍 so be grateful that your thread is being bumped
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
2330 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
adblink182 wrote: For the last 10 years me and a group of buddies rent ice bungalows and stay (and sleep) out on the ice for a 2-3 days.

It's a blast. Holes right in the floor of the hut for fishing while laying in a bunk drinking beer. Perfect for that early morning and late night bite. We usually spend the day outside on the ice.

Huts come with a propane furnace, propane cook top and an outhouse. It's the winter version of camping. Highly recommend trying it.
Where do you usually go? Where are you renting the hut (company)?
Curious as we've been doing ice fishing as a family for two years now and hope to find another nice place to enjoy this Family Day weekend
If you're seeing this message, it means I cared enough to downvote or felt the need to upvote. Either way you get a👎/ 👍 so be grateful that your thread is being bumped
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3555 posts
2710 upvotes
Dang this is tempting, but I've been spending a lot of money lately, just booked family trip to Japan. I'd use this at the cottage, but this year the ice isn't safe. Someone talk me out of getting it lol
Nov 17, 2014
496 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Picked one up at Dixie/courtney park. 5 Left when I was there
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
2330 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
For those who may think going with young kids would not be fun. From my experience it's ultra fun. They don't really get impatient and whine. In fact they are very patient and get excited when they see the fish through the hole. Once they feel a tug, they'll alert you and you just help them out. The rest of the day they're pretty much excited and either want to catch more or they'll just keep an eye on the fish they caught.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13449 posts
7708 upvotes
Anfaax wrote: Image
This is likely pretty conservative actually. I remember in my younger days parking the 5+ trucks in a circle on Rice Lake with the lights on to see and having a big fire in the middle.

That lake rarely gets over 12" of ice.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3734 posts
913 upvotes
Hamilton
DealsHunterCo wrote: Where do you usually go? Where are you renting the hut (company)?
Curious as we've been doing ice fishing as a family for two years now and hope to find another nice place to enjoy this Family Day weekend
Lake nipissing. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the details.
Jan 10, 2011
481 posts
297 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Dang this is tempting, but I've been spending a lot of money lately, just booked family trip to Japan. I'd use this at the cottage, but this year the ice isn't safe. Someone talk me out of getting it lol
Nope. Get it.
Nov 17, 2014
496 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone who ice fishes regularly down to have a complete stranger join them? I'm new to it. Just bought this hut.
PM me!
Mar 10, 2012
323 posts
325 upvotes
THORNHILL
mxthor3 wrote: Perhaps my memory is really bad, lol. I'm usually taking my Clam out (flip over). The older I get the less I want to fish Simcoe (wind, weather, crowds etc)
True enough. I bought my popup the year we had good ice on Simcoe in late December (2016?). I don't think we've had a good season since, and this year is not looking good...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2749 posts
3810 upvotes
Barrie, ON
brianl999 wrote: True enough. I bought my popup the year we had good ice on Simcoe in late December (2016?). I don't think we've had a good season since, and this year is not looking good...
It's definitely been a few years since there has been really good ice on Simcoe. This year isn't looking good either. Although that just means I'll be out on Gbay chasing open water lakers that much sooner.
Dec 5, 2009
271 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
Sad oos in Vancouver, this would work as a nice winter tent
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1121 posts
606 upvotes
Canada
rudyzhou2 wrote: Sad oos in Vancouver, this would work as a nice winter tent
There is free shipping over $100. Find a few filler items.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25570 posts
15423 upvotes
Toronto
This thing is probably thin like paper which means more heating required to keep warm inside. These huts are like homes, better quality = better heat retention. The whole point of using a hut is creature comfort.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii