• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 5:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1744 posts
1226 upvotes

[Princess Auto] 48" clamp cutting guide - $14.99

Pretty cheap price for a cutting guide, used to break down large sheet material (e.g. plywood) using a circular saw. Useful if you don't have a huge table saw with a huge outfeed table.

Considering it's the Princess Auto house brand (instead of a professional wood working brand), it's decent, but not amazing. It'll definitely do the job, and it is sturdy enough to hold and not slip on you.

As usual, $50 minimum for free shipping. I paired it with the bench vice from my other thread, and added a few fillers.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4459 posts
8629 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
I've owned this for a year, and it's worked well. Not something I use much, but very useful when needed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1744 posts
1226 upvotes
raskal wrote: I've owned this for a year, and it's worked well. Not something I use much, but very useful when needed
And for $15 it's a no brainer. That's cheaper than making your own guide out of lumber.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9472 posts
1606 upvotes
Yeah bought 2 of them a few days back, just awaiting arrival. Also bought the 4inch bench vise for $30... seems pretty cheap...equivalent amazon one is $50 so decent I guess.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Jul 15, 2008
747 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
Can this be shortened? I don't have anything I'd need 48" for.. maybe 24 or 36.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5761 posts
5519 upvotes
BC
Might be user error, but the few times I've tried this, my saw blade binds up. I thought at first that I was putting too much pressure trying to keep the saw against the guide, but I've tried to use as little pressure as I require to keep it against the guide and it still seems to bind.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7548 posts
8123 upvotes
Vancouver
SizzleChest wrote: Might be user error, but the few times I've tried this, my saw blade binds up. I thought at first that I was putting too much pressure trying to keep the saw against the guide, but I've tried to use as little pressure as I require to keep it against the guide and it still seems to bind.
One of the standard tests in comparison reviews of circular saws is to check if the saw blade tends to bind in the cut when making a long straight cut using a guide. The reason it does that is because the blade orientation is very slightly off or the bearing is loose and tends to wobble. That causes the cut to wander away from a straight line and causes the blade to bind in the cut if you attempt to force it to a straight line. Some saws do better than others.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5761 posts
5519 upvotes
BC
Scote64 wrote: One of the standard tests in comparison reviews of circular saws is to check if the saw blade tends to bind in the cut when making a long straight cut using a guide. The reason it does that is because the blade orientation is very slightly off or the bearing is loose and tends to wobble. That causes the cut to wander away from a straight line and causes the blade to bind in the cut if you attempt to force it to a straight line. Some saws do better than others.
Interesting info. Thanks.
Dec 3, 2006
496 posts
292 upvotes
Craven
ji_hyun_jun wrote: Can this be shortened? I don't have anything I'd need 48" for.. maybe 24 or 36.
It's infinitely adjustable to anything up to 48". I used mine to cut down some wooden windows that were about 23". Sturdy and straight.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9472 posts
1606 upvotes
Got mine today... can't ask for much for for $15 to be honest... bit too many plastic parts but for $15 bones no complaints. Haven't tested it yet.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
I've had one for a few years. Don't use it very often but it has always worked well when it has been needed. It is fast to set up and easy to use...really can't ask for much more for $15.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6800 posts
1021 upvotes
Etobicoke
I got 2 of these. Clamp on both sides of the cut spaced out just enough to let your Skil saw glide through. And you don't have to worry about the saw not following the guide. Very useful if you cross cut 4X8 boards all day long (eg. installing sheathing). Only problem is that these guides don't fold up nor join. So it's too unwieldy for 1' boards and too short for 8' boards. I ended up just using a bunch of 1X2 boards and clamps as guides.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12146 posts
3464 upvotes
Ordered online with a bunch of other items, this came shipped, wrapped in black plastic, but someone dropped the bottom or slammed a door on it, at first, I thought just the plastic ring to hang it was the only thing broken, but looking closer, the metal has been bent and flared at the end, time to head to the store for an exchange.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: Ordered online with a bunch of other items, this came shipped, wrapped in black plastic, but someone dropped the bottom or slammed a door on it, at first, I thought just the plastic ring to hang it was the only thing broken, but looking closer, the metal has been bent and flared at the end, time to head to the store for an exchange.
For some reason this reminds me of UPS bending a door.

Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
1782 posts
210 upvotes
I bought this about the same time last year, still waiting for the day I will need it . But good to know I have it when I do . Think it was about the same price or few dollars less..
Jan 23, 2017
242 posts
299 upvotes
I have this cutting guide. Works well ripping down 4x8 plywood sheets.
Feb 18, 2015
199 posts
171 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
I have had one for years, used it a lot. It's just a straight edge now and not worth the time to troubleshoot or repair.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)