Princess Auto

48L x 36W x 12H in. Galvanized-Metal Planter Box - Back in Stock at $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2021 12:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
101 posts
327 upvotes

[Princess Auto] 48L x 36W x 12H in. Galvanized-Metal Planter Box - Back in Stock at $39.99

If you are looking for planters that may not look the most sexy, but will last you a longer time and are solid, I found these to fit the bill and currently they are back in stock. Order over $50 will have free delivery.

I bought a few myself and I am pleased with my purchase.

If they run out of stock, keep checking back, they seem to update stock levels at least once a week, but today they updated several time in the day.

Cheers
27 replies
Jun 4, 2011
239 posts
176 upvotes
With the cost of wood/2x4s today you probably can't build a box for much cheaper than this for a small project (like 1-3 boxes).
Nov 16, 2007
165 posts
41 upvotes
London
Great price IMO. I priced out galvanized steel and lumber for a similar project, and it was going to be well north of this cost.

OP - If I bought two could they be attached, effectively making one big 12'x3'x.5' bed? The pieces connecting the walls at the corners appear to be for angled use only.
Feb 13, 2016
522 posts
687 upvotes
Showing OOS, great deal otherwise. What's the cheapest wood now to build some planters ?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1207 posts
2443 upvotes
Canada
OOS
Live a little
Dec 24, 2011
486 posts
1016 upvotes
East, Canada
Got one. Expensive couple of days on RFD for me ahhh.
Nov 17, 2014
451 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto, ON
got a few of these a few weeks ago, great for the price
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
101 posts
327 upvotes
oFlash0 wrote: Great price IMO. I priced out galvanized steel and lumber for a similar project, and it was going to be well north of this cost.

OP - If I bought two could they be attached, effectively making one big 12'x3'x.5' bed? The pieces connecting the walls at the corners appear to be for angled use only.
I did think about joining a couple together, and I do not see any technical reason's why not other than perhaps slightly adjusting the lip on the top of the sheet with a pair of pliers, however, I did not proceed with that since it will make the box smaller in length. You see the angled corner joint adds length (resulting in more volume), and removing that and joining sheet to sheet would likely make you lose about few inches from the total length when compared to the individual sum length of two separate boxes.

So, I don't see any technical reasons why not, but I didn't want to sacrifice the volume factor.
Mar 1, 2015
28 posts
12 upvotes
St Catharines, ON
Crap, goes quick.
Gotta keep checking.
When is the sale over?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2824 posts
1191 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow. over already!

If people haven't already you can try fabric grow bags. I bought a couple of different 5 gallon ones for my dad last year and they worked out GREAT. His plants grew amazing. I've actually seen some people put grow bags inside of these planter things and fix up some drainage or watering system to make it even better.

I'm going grow bag this year (took the left overs from my dads) since I wont bother with lumber this year.
Dec 11, 2006
458 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver
Hello,
I placed an order for these when it showed stock online (on May 4th). My order still said submitted and not shipped, so I called in today and the representative told me the reason why the item has not shipped as they do not have any in stock (and mentions the system is not showing them receiving anymore of this item). He mentioned the system showed -16 units, and he ended up cancelling my order as he mentioned there would be no way these would eventually be fulfilled this year.

Did anyone else who placed an order recently for this item actually get theirs shipped?
Feb 9, 2012
19 posts
18 upvotes
toronto
aznmidnite wrote: Hello,
I placed an order for these when it showed stock online (on May 4th). My order still said submitted and not shipped, so I called in today and the representative told me the reason why the item has not shipped as they do not have any in stock (and mentions the system is not showing them receiving anymore of this item). He mentioned the system showed -16 units, and he ended up cancelling my order as he mentioned there would be no way these would eventually be fulfilled this year.

Did anyone else who placed an order recently for this item actually get theirs shipped?
Same story here. I placed my order May 4 when the stock showed ~20+ units remaining and the filler items I added to qualify for free shipping were shipped, but not the planter.

Checking back, this is the 3rd time Princess Auto has done this to me over the past few years. Last few times have been on their "hot buys" like trailer tire assemblies and a floor jack and I always receive the filler items but the main item I was after is OOS after a "strange" inventory issue they're experiencing.
Feb 13, 2016
522 posts
687 upvotes
aznmidnite wrote: Hello,

jacke672 wrote: Same story here. I placed my order May 4 when the stock showed ~20+ units remaining and the filler items I added the qualify for free shipping were shipped, but not the planter.

Checking back, this is the 3rd time Princess Auto has done this to me over the past few years. Last few times have been on their "hot buys" like trailer tire assemblies and a floor jack and I always receive the filler items but the main item I was after is OOS after a "strange" inventory issue they're experiencing.
Thanks for the update, I have been checking everyday for it to be back in stock. What will you do without these planter boxes?
Feb 9, 2012
19 posts
18 upvotes
toronto
onthemove wrote: Thanks for the update, I have been checking everyday for it to be back in stock. What will you do without these planter boxes?
I had already bought these blocks for ours but the galvanized looked like a better (less expensive) option than buying 2x6x8's to complete my other option.
Oct 11, 2018
648 posts
943 upvotes
Arkham
Ordered a few days ago when it showed in stock, got cancelled emailDisappointed Face
Dec 11, 2006
458 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver
onthemove wrote: Thanks for the update, I have been checking everyday for it to be back in stock. What will you do without these planter boxes?
I all ready have some fabric grow bags started, but was hoping to get these planter boxes for some other plants.

Currently have these in fabric grow bags:
Two 5 gallon (with handles) for tomatoes.
One 7 gallon (with handles) for bluecrop blueberry.

Going to start:
One or two 15 gallon (no handles) for some flowers and maybe other vegetables.

The 15 gallon fabric grow bags are a decent price at Dollarama @ $3.50/piece (just does not have handles).

Princess Auto is supposed to have larger planter boxes coming, but not until closer to end of May.
Dec 11, 2006
458 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver
jacke672 wrote: I had already bought these blocks for ours but the galvanized looked like a better (less expensive) option than buying 2x6x8's to complete my other option.
I was previously entertaining that idea as well (using planter blocks and 2x6x8 lumber), but ended up just going with the fabric grow bags for now. Was hoping to use these galvanized planters from Princess Auto.