Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

5 pc 1/2 in. dr Torque Limiting Extension Bar Set $44.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 9:55 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes

[Princess Auto] 5 pc 1/2 in. dr Torque Limiting Extension Bar Set $44.99

Last edited by TomRFD on May 25th, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
17 replies
Sep 8, 2019
138 posts
237 upvotes
Calgary
These are good but beware that on very fast battery-operated impact wrenches they don't work as well because they are hammering too fast.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10546 posts
4143 upvotes
Toronto
Do these ever lose calibration?
Jun 6, 2011
261 posts
372 upvotes
Victoria, BC
These are notorious for being inaccurate, all brands not just this brand.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6568 posts
4489 upvotes
Toronto
jerrypaulick wrote: Ideally both. I usually swap rims, put them on with 100 ft-lbs stick (because it's just way faster), drive for a day or two and then do final torque-ing with a torque wrench.
Proper way is to use one that is lower than your desired torque setting with the impact wrench at its lowest/medium settling, drop the car and do the final torque on the ground with a torque wrench.

The 10 piece is also on sale, https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8574055e

As is the 5 piece with higher limits, https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8574048e
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Proper way is to use one that is lower than your desired torque setting with the impact wrench at its lowest/medium settling, drop the car and do the final torque on the ground with a torque wrench.
+1

I actually use the 75ftlb stick (Toyota's specs is 76ftlb) with an impact... driver+adapter (much weaker than my impact wrench). The as you said, lower the car and finish (usually 1/8 turn) with the torque wrench.)
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Sep 8, 2019
138 posts
237 upvotes
Calgary
BeaverLiquor wrote: Proper way is to use one that is lower than your desired torque setting with the impact wrench at its lowest/medium settling, drop the car and do the final torque on the ground with a torque wrench.
My sticks have the same precision rating as my torque wrench (+/- 4%), so I don't see a point in doing things more complicated than necessary (time is money and stuff). As I said, I do the final torque with a wrench after 50-100 km of driving, which in my view is more important than doing it right after the wheel change and then forgetting all about it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
I originally bought these sticks to save torquing time, but after 2 uses, I realized it basically took the same amount of time as hand torquing. (Using the stick, I had to remove and put back the stick on the impact wrench between removing and installing on each wheel)

I went back to just removing with impact wrench and tightening with lowest speed on same impact wrench. Then finishing all 4 wheels at once with the torque wrench.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6568 posts
4489 upvotes
Toronto
jerrypaulick wrote: My sticks have the same precision rating as my torque wrench (+/- 4%), so I don't see a point in doing things more complicated than necessary (time is money and stuff). As I said, I do the final torque with a wrench after 50-100 km of driving, which in my view is more important than doing it right after the wheel change and then forgetting all about it.
Because torque sticks are known to be out of spec, if you're just going to hammer it on, there's no point in checking the torque settings a few days later with a wrench, just hammer it on again to make sure nothing has gotten loose.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1236 posts
1259 upvotes

I was considering getting torque sticks and then i watched this video. Basically there's several factors that can potentially make the sticks inaccurate, particularly the gun you use. The fact i'm using a cheap ryobi impact wrench didn't look promising.
Sep 8, 2019
138 posts
237 upvotes
Calgary
Mr Snuff wrote:

I was considering getting torque sticks and then i watched this video. Basically there's several factors that can potentially make the sticks inaccurate, particularly the gun you use. The fact i'm using a cheap ryobi impact wrench didn't look promising.
That's what I was referring to in my first post. If you use the slower modes on your impact, they are pretty accurate, if you are going full blast in the highest mode, the sticks won't have time to flex back and the final torque will be higher than the stick's spec. G5 explains it in the comments.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5210 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I typically used either my IR231 or Aircat 1150 1/2" pneumatic, and I use an old 10 pack torq sticks from PA (set looks similar to the set in the video). Works pretty well for both my honda's which are rated at 80ft-lbs. I have occasionally spot checked them, and they are pretty much always somewhere between 80 and 90. Setting my torque wrench to 90lbs, does often get a small nudge out of them. However, on my Honda, between 80 and 90ft-lbs, it won't make a huge difference. Neither will strip the lugs, and neither will cause any harm. However going 30 and 40ft-lbs more, is a different story.

I don't have any electric Milwaukee impacts. They look awesome on paper (they are beasts). And I've tried them in person at my buddy's garage. They are powerful, but it is a feeling you need to get used to. But, my biggest issue is that they are pretty damn heavy. If I was using something like this all day long for tires and other stuff, I think my elbow would be shot within a week.
My Aircat 1150 is a nice compromise (not too heavy - and super powerful), and as long as you use some proper high flow fittings (most important part of the equation - do yourself a favor and get rid of those type "M" fittings), you can do just about anything with them.

And, if I was doing this on a Ferrari or Aston Martin, then sure, I'd like to get them dead on (and with "calibrated" torque wrench. But on most daily vehicles, and extra 10ft-lbs won't make a huge difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
jerrypaulick wrote: These are good but beware that on very fast battery-operated impact wrenches they don't work as well because they are hammering too fast.
How does this happen?
Also, I didn't know that battery powered guns can produce that kind of torque (90lb+).

I have 2 torque bars that I've used for about 20 years now and have never had a problem using them with high powered air hammer guns. Even so, I still dial down the power.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, Never mind.
I just saw a post on a deal for a Milwaukee stubby impact gun and it's rated up to 250 ft/lbs.

home-depot-home-depot-milwaukee-m12-1-2 ... y-2378111/

I knew that they were getting more powerful bu tI didn't know by how much.

I think I've been asleep at the wheel and the world has passed me by.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)