• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2019 9:19 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6023 posts
2054 upvotes

[Princess Auto] 500K BTU Propane Torch $24.99

Spotted this on the front page of the Princess Auto flyer for Sept 3-15.
500K BTU propane torch $24.99. (Sorry Princess Auto don't have the new flyer up yet on their web site).

I have a virtually identical torch purchased at Harbor Freight in the US. https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-t ... pane+torch
At the Princess Auto price , theirs is actually cheaper in Canada.

I found it does an amazing job lighting charcoal for my BBQ and my smoker - I can get the coals ready to BBQ or smoke in 5-6 minutes.
I use it for burning weeds between the interlocking bricks on my sidewalk, my patio and down the edges of my driveway.
It's also good for thawing pipes, drying a leaking frozen roof for repair, burning off loose paint.
Thread Summary
36 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1515 posts
828 upvotes
Kitchener
Also good for searing your sous vide steaks
Aug 29, 2001
388 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
i saw something similar before called a weed dragon. you are still left with burnt weeds in the end and it will take a lot of time for it to naturally disappear if you just leave it I think
Aug 3, 2005
132 posts
119 upvotes
x
I bought one of these a few months back and am quite pleased with it. Great for the backyard fire pit, searing food, and any number of diy-projects. For this price, everybody should have a flamethrower!

There is a more expensive model with an igniter, but the upgrade isn't worth the extra cost for me:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8696338e
Sep 17, 2002
876 posts
211 upvotes
Weed dragon only puts out 12K BTU....this puts out 500K BTU....

Guess which one is better at burning weeds, searing meat....
baseline wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:57 am
i saw something similar before called a weed dragon. you are still left with burnt weeds in the end and it will take a lot of time for it to naturally disappear if you just leave it I think
Jan 27, 2013
25 posts
13 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 5:28 am
Spotted this on the front page of the Princess Auto flyer for Sept 3-15.
500K BTU propane torch $24.99. (Sorry Princess Auto don't have the new flyer up yet on their web site).

I have a virtually identical torch purchased at Harbor Freight in the US. https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-t ... pane+torch
At the Princess Auto price , theirs is actually cheaper in Canada.

I found it does an amazing job lighting charcoal for my BBQ and my smoker - I can get the coals ready to BBQ or smoke in 5-6 minutes.
I use it for burning weeds between the interlocking bricks on my sidewalk, my patio and down the edges of my driveway.
It's also good for thawing pipes, drying a leaking frozen roof for repair, burning off loose paint.
Did you pick up a paper copy of the flyer in-store? If not, how did you see this?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2174 posts
1180 upvotes
Prince George
willy222 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 2:34 am
Did you pick up a paper copy of the flyer in-store? If not, how did you see this?
Can’t speak for the OP, but I got my paper copy in the mail a few days ago.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6023 posts
2054 upvotes
willy222 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 2:34 am
Flyer comes in the local newspaper that is delivered every Thursday - that's how we get most of our flyers delivered.
Dec 10, 2012
779 posts
406 upvotes
Richmond Hill
second2none wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 10:39 am
I'm not saying this is a bad deal. But do you REALLY need a flame thrower? Who the hell burns their grass and weeds?

Melting A Laptop Computer With A 500,000 BTU Torch

farmers in Amazonia

I was burning green garden waste in a wheel barrow with something similar, so much smoke a roaming city pickup truck drove by to check, thought someones house was on fire.

These go through a 20lb tank of gas in little over an 1 hour.

If you have a interlocking driveway, first nuke the weeds with round up then burn off the dead weeds. I prefer this method over power washing and sealing.