• Sep 11th, 2019 9:19 am
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1789 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
onemorechance wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 2:58 pm
Yep, I've done steaks in the past, and just seared a roast with mine the other day. It does a great job.
Dumb question, but what would you lay your steaks on, a cold/warm grill and use this? Or something else?
Apr 26, 2019
189 posts
124 upvotes
People are way to casual around propane and propane accessories
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2067 posts
596 upvotes
MafiaHitman wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:19 pm
Dumb question, but what would you lay your steaks on, a cold/warm grill and use this? Or something else?
Curious about this as well. I love to sous vide steaks but I dont have a great method to sear yet. Is this overkill or not surgical enough for steaks?

And yeah, what do you guys put your steaks on? Only have stamped concrete so I dont really want to burn that haha.
Dec 10, 2012
795 posts
419 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tim-x wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:57 pm
Curious about this as well. I love to sous vide steaks but I dont have a great method to sear yet. Is this overkill or not surgical enough for steaks?

And yeah, what do you guys put your steaks on? Only have stamped concrete so I dont really want to burn that haha.
I have tried it by putting the steaks in the bbq and used this to give it a quick sear, this method is fool proof.

You can also put the steak in a cast iron skillet or on the blackstone grill that so many rfders have bought this year on clearance from Walmart.

Just make sure there is nothing flammable within 3 feet of the flame. 500,000 btu is no joke. Happy charbroiling. :)

btw if are going to use this for weeding, please make sure you have a water hose nearby. Heard of stories of people burning there house down with these.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1789 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
sirxterminator wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:05 pm
You can also put the steak in a cast iron skillet or on the blackstone grill that so many rfders have bought this year on clearance from Walmart.
I normally use a cast Iron skillet, but I did grab that 28" Blackstone for $90 as well.

Just thought this might be easier.
Dec 10, 2012
795 posts
419 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MafiaHitman wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:58 pm
I normally use a cast Iron skillet, but I did grab that 28" Blackstone for $90 as well.

Just thought this might be easier.
What I meant is that you can use this flamthower on the steak while it is in a skillet or on the blackstone grill or bbq
Aug 3, 2005
133 posts
119 upvotes
x
MafiaHitman wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:19 pm
I have a propane BBQ grill, and just open the lid and plop them on that.

I should mention that I don't turn the torch up full blast, just enough so that the flame is not yellow. You want a blue flame as per this quote:
What you do want to do, however, is to adjust the flame on your kitchen torch until it turns dark blue. The blue color means that it’s an oxidizing flame, not a reducing flame. This is a chemistry difference that matters for your food. If the flame is yellow, it’s a reducing flame, and there will be hydrocarbons from the fuel — whether it’s propane or butane — that aren’t fully combusted. These can end up in your food, creating an “off” taste in whatever you’ve seared with the torch.
More information here: https://sousvideguy.com/best-kitchen-to ... ds-review/

I thought about buying a small kitchen torch, but they are just as (or even more) expensive, and the flame is so small that it takes much longer to do the same job.