• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 11:10 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2017
776 posts
650 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Princess Auto] 6 Litre Fluid Extractor $104.99

Use the Code: BETTERFARMING to get additional $15 off.
Free shipping too!

If you are planning to do the oil change by yourself, it is a great tool.
55 replies
Feb 1, 2009
367 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
Wish they sold just the pump and the liquid could be extracted directly into a cheap $3 Home Depot bucket.

Looking to get one for an oil change on the car, don’t care about the “dirt” left at the bottom of the engine.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4030 posts
5903 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
very useful tool for any oil changes.
I have the 7L non-pneumatic one and the pneumatic feature is nice, but pumping to start and then let suction do it's thing, is not that hard
I've done trucks, cars, ATVs and boats with it but have a warm engine, cause cold oil is thick and doesn't flow well
Apr 19, 2016
641 posts
628 upvotes
GTA, ontario
yes! free gas. good thing my neighbours are deep sleepers. thank you op.
help is available! life is worth it. i love you, no matter what.
canada suicide prevention service: 833-456-4566
quebec: 866-277-3553
usa: 800-273-8255
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1505 posts
1758 upvotes
VANCOUVER
raskal wrote: very useful tool for any oil changes.
I have the 7L non-pneumatic one and the pneumatic feature is nice, but pumping to start and then let suction do it's thing, is not that hard
I've done trucks, cars, ATVs and boats with it but have a warm engine, cause cold oil is thick and doesn't flow well
I don't see the point in this thing. How is it useful for oil changes? You still need to change the oil filter so you'll have to jack up the car anyways. Why spend $100 on a pump when you can just unscrew a single bolt to properly drain the oil and get all the crud out of the oil pan.

I guess it could be useful for sealed components like the transmission or transfer case. but for oil changes, it just seems like a waste of time
Dec 25, 2007
534 posts
438 upvotes
CALGARY
goozy1 wrote: I don't see the point in this thing. How is it useful for oil changes? You still need to change the oil filter so you'll have to jack up the car anyways. Why spend $100 on a pump when you can just unscrew a single bolt to properly drain the oil and get all the crud out of the oil pan.

I guess it could be useful for sealed components like the transmission or transfer case. but for oil changes, it just seems like a waste of time
Depends where your oil filter is. Many cars have one that's under the hood/at the top. There are also a lot of cars that have reachable filters.

Before someone makes the comment that you aren't draining all the oil, please use google. We've beaten this horse to death in 100 other threads.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4030 posts
5903 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
goozy1 wrote: but for oil changes, it just seems like a waste of time
My truck has its oil filter on the top of the engine, so I never have go under it.

If all you'll ever do is a car oil change, then yeah it's not useful.

Draining other fluids like PS or brake fluid might be useful enough to warrant the money, but I doubt it.

For me the real draw if for the toys (ATV, MC, boat)
Last edited by raskal on Apr 27th, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16831 posts
18545 upvotes
Oakville
Asriel wrote: Wish they sold just the pump and the liquid could be extracted directly into a cheap $3 Home Depot bucket.

Looking to get one for an oil change on the car, don’t care about the “dirt” left at the bottom of the engine.
I'm not sure a home depot bucket will hold much vacuum. The vacuum pump tanks have extra bracing for strength.

You could just get a vacuum pump and a few fittings to hook up the hoses. A shop vac can also pull some vacuum.

On the cheap, this might work, but probably not enough vacuum pressure. You'll still need to buy hoses and fittings.
https://www.amazon.ca/Bon-Vital-Pump-Ga ... 00A0ZSVFG/
https://www.amazon.ca/UltraSource-50133 ... 00X5BRRT8/
goozy1 wrote: I don't see the point in this thing. How is it useful for oil changes? You still need to change the oil filter so you'll have to jack up the car anyways. Why spend $100 on a pump when you can just unscrew a single bolt to properly drain the oil and get all the crud out of the oil pan.

My filter is on top, I never need to go under the car. And I get more oil and crud out of my pan than with bottom draining. Over 500mL more. And zero mess.

I still use it on cars with bottom mounted filters, as I get more oil, and there's still less mess. It's only a problem on newer BMW's without dip stick tubes. At Mercedes, the dealer uses a vacuum pump to change the oil.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1864 posts
860 upvotes
Scarborough
good price and very convenient for oil change. my friend have this and i borrowed it once. end up getting my own, but the crappy tire version, as i needed larger size to hold 8L of oil.
Feb 24, 2019
307 posts
429 upvotes
princess auto taking advantage of the recent spree of catalytic converter thefts and equipping these thieves with a new tool for their arsenal
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
I know a lot about cars but I really don't understand the difference between a pneumatic version and not...This requires a compressor to use?
"It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live." — Mae Jemison
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
KingMoobot wrote: princess auto taking advantage of the recent spree of catalytic converter thefts and equipping these thieves with a new tool for their arsenal
/Glad I don't know you :rolleyes: :facepalm: :rolleyes:
/Added to my Ignore List
Last edited by SCOPster on Apr 27th, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live." — Mae Jemison
Jul 17, 2008
77 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
KingMoobot wrote: princess auto taking advantage of the recent spree of catalytic converter thefts and equipping these thieves with a new tool for their arsenal
Gas thieves have been around forever, do you expect them to spend $100+ for something they could do with a hose and a bucket?

Or do you think they can use this to somehow steal a cat?

Either way, :facepalm:
Jul 17, 2008
77 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
SCOPster wrote: I know a lot about cars but I really don't understand the difference between a pneumatic version and not...This requires a compressor to use?
It's manual/pneumatic, you can use the manual pump in the handle or hook up a compressor.

Anybody know how long that dipstick needle/tube thing is? It looks kind of short in the pics.
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
I don't see the point in this thing. How is it useful for oil changes? You still need to change the oil filter so you'll have to jack up the car anyways. Why spend $100 on a pump when you can just unscrew a single bolt to properly drain the oil and get all the crud out of the oil pan.

ACTUALLY you probably could get more solids from the bottom of the oil pan with this thing.
The only way to get all the crud out is to remove the bottom of the oil pan. Which often requires a BREAKER Bar Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
There also are oil pans that don't even have the plug at the lowest point on the oil pan. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Also some manufacturers say change oil filter every second time which is nice if you are using expensive Synthetic oil filters and have lots of oil on hand
because you are a hard core RFDer Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I definitely would change my oil more often with this
as previously I had the attitude of once the car is up on the Ramp
might as well do the filter too.
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
hesp wrote: i bought this one:
https://www.stevestonmarine.com/pela-oi ... gKEvvD_BwE

but havent tried using it yet
Hmm So how much extra was the taxes and shipping?
Okay if you didn't require shipping I guess..
Many places charge an arm and a leg for S&H

EDIT: They seem to have some Free Shipping but Membership Required to Order?
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
Asriel wrote: For those in a rush, just use a water pump:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001053124
I'm betting the hose that comes with that will no way fit down a dip stick tube
Last edited by SCOPster on Apr 27th, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.