There is also Shop light on sale but reviews don't look good
https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-ft-60 ... 0008956351
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
2264 posts
831 upvotes
toronto
I've had this shop light. Mine blew and smoke came out of it. Used only a couple tines.
Aug 29, 2010
594 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
chrisanthony14 wrote: I've had this shop light. Mine blew and smoke came out of it. Used only a couple tines.
Do you have a recommendation for another LED one?
Oct 26, 2017
156 posts
274 upvotes
Cheap pliers are terrible. This might be ok as a backup pair in your trunk.

Some tools don't have big performance gaps- e.g. with Husky or Nepros sockets, your bolt is still getting turned. It makes a huge difference in pliers when you step up to a good brand made with the proper grade of steel, strong rivets and hardened cutting edges.

Channellock or Gearwrench are my recommendation on the "cheap" end of the spectrum. Just wait for the $59 set of Channellock to go on sale at Canadian Tire.
Apr 9, 2018
366 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
Just bought 3 pack Husky high leverage pliers on clearance at HD for $25 for basic DIY electrical at home. I'm wondering if you have any experience with thrsr and whether you think I need to upgrade:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky- ... 1000683033

I assume the ones here from PA are worse than even the Husky's based on what you're saying.
jradmcfast wrote: Cheap pliers are terrible. This might be ok as a backup pair in your trunk.

Some tools don't have big performance gaps- e.g. with Husky or Nepros sockets, your bolt is still getting turned. It makes a huge difference in pliers when you step up to a good brand made with the proper grade of steel, strong rivets and hardened cutting edges.

Channellock or Gearwrench are my recommendation on the "cheap" end of the spectrum. Just wait for the $59 set of Channellock to go on sale at Canadian Tire.
Aug 15, 2007
619 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Hashim85 wrote: Just bought 3 pack Husky high leverage pliers on clearance at HD for $25 for basic DIY electrical at home. I'm wondering if you have any experience with thrsr and whether you think I need to upgrade:

I assume the ones here from PA are worse than even the Husky's based on what you're saying.
I've seen plenty of electricians use husky linesman pliers on industrial construction sites. I personally have a 3pc set of Maximum pliers for home use, and i find them more than adequate. The standard fare mastercraft, however (hi vis handles, or blue/black) are garbage. This set looks to be about the same.

Some of the most difficult things to cut when doing electrical are armoured cable and poly twine/rope (cleanly, that is). If your pliers can handle that, you're fine
Apr 9, 2018
366 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
ff_29 wrote: I've seen plenty of electricians use husky linesman pliers on industrial construction sites. I personally have a 3pc set of Maximum pliers for home use, and i find them more than adequate. The standard fare mastercraft, however (hi vis handles, or blue/black) are garbage. This set looks to be about the same.

Some of the most difficult things to cut when doing electrical are armoured cable and poly twine/rope (cleanly, that is). If your pliers can handle that, you're fine
Oct 26, 2017
156 posts
274 upvotes
Hashim85 wrote: Just bought 3 pack Husky high leverage pliers on clearance at HD for $25 for basic DIY electrical at home. I'm wondering if you have any experience with thrsr and whether you think I need to upgrade:

They're probably ok. It depends on what you're doing - electrical usually isn't that demanding if you just mean swapping fixtures and outlets, etc. My basic point is that pro-level pliers are noticeably better than the DIY/homeowner grade. Channellock especially, is a bargain for pliers at that level. Even though you only get 4 pairs of pliers with the $59 deal I mentioned, you can absolutely get more done with 4 good pliers than 6 mediocre or bad ones.

On the other hand, if you used them side-by-side, you would absolutely notice a difference cutting even 14ga solid copper wire with a pair of Channellock side cutters versus the Husky you have now. Channellock (with it's knife and anvil design) would take less effort and cut cleaner. If you are trimming the ends off of screws - I bet your Huskies will wear out in a hurry.

If you already have pliers, I'd say use them until they frustrate you.

Just keep in mind that there is something better. Pliers are the type of hand tool where I think the higher tiers make the most difference (second category: screwdrivers - pick up the $29 6-piece laser-tip Weras from KMS tools when you have a chance).
Oct 26, 2017
156 posts
274 upvotes
ff_29 wrote: I've seen plenty of electricians use husky linesman pliers on industrial construction sites. I personally have a 3pc set of Maximum pliers for home use, and i find them more than adequate. The standard fare mastercraft, however (hi vis handles, or blue/black) are garbage. This set looks to be about the same.

Maximum has come a long way over the last ~20 years. I agree, they're alright these days. Word on the street is that the Maximum-branded pliers wrench (currently on sale for $40) is made by Wiha (German company, Taiwanese factory). I'd still pick Channellock over Maximum myself, but I can't say you did it wrong.

Mastercraft - ugh. I bought the big pack a few years ago when I was away from home in my RV and needed to fix something - it happened to be what was on sale and it did get the job done. However, I absolutely concur - except I'm not sure "garbage" even goes far enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1620 posts
904 upvotes
SW Ontario
jradmcfast wrote: Cheap pliers are terrible. This might be ok as a backup pair in your trunk.

Agreed.

Don't want to crap on the deal, but if you actually use pliers, spend a little more on the side cutter, needle nose and lineman pliers.

Even the Channel Lock needle nose pliers aren't very good. I bent mine doing a repair, chewed up the teeth on the jaws only after a few uses. These look similar to the CT ones and you can expect the large ones to bend and the little ones to break when you need them. The cutters on them won't last very long, if they actually line up at all. Which brings me to the side cutters and lineman. Unless you're just cutting mechanics wire these won't last very long.

The other pliers are OK because you usually can't get much force on them. The only problem is they usually rust.

If you need a set for occasional use it's a very good deal. But if you're ruined a pair of needle nose or lineman pliers and think you're getting those and 4 wrenches for free you'll be disappointed. fwiw
Oct 26, 2017
156 posts
274 upvotes
alpha2omega wrote: Agreed.

Don't want to crap on the deal, but if you actually use pliers, spend a little more on the side cutter, needle nose and lineman pliers.

Even the Channel Lock needle nose pliers aren't very good. I bent mine doing a repair, chewed up the teeth on the jaws only after a few uses. These look similar to the CT ones and you can expect the large ones to bend and the little ones to break when you need them. The cutters on them won't last very long, if they actually line up at all. Which brings me to the side cutters and lineman. Unless you're just cutting mechanics wire these won't last very long.

The other pliers are OK because you usually can't get much force on them. The only problem is they usually rust.

If you need a set for occasional use it's a very good deal. But if you're ruined a pair of needle nose or lineman pliers and think you're getting those and 4 wrenches for free you'll be disappointed. fwiw
You take that back right now!
I'll not sit here and listen to this Channellock bashing! My E326CB's (6" with the Code Blue handles) are awesome!
Apr 9, 2018
366 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
Swapping out fixtures and outlets is right. I do enjoy electrical work but don't do a lot of it. I ask because my Huskies are still in the packaging with receipt. Not sure if I should upgrade to the channel locks.
jradmcfast wrote: They're probably ok. It depends on what you're doing - electrical usually isn't that demanding if you just mean swapping fixtures and outlets, etc. My basic point is that pro-level pliers are noticeably better than the DIY/homeowner grade. Channellock especially, is a bargain for pliers at that level. Even though you only get 4 pairs of pliers with the $59 deal I mentioned, you can absolutely get more done with 4 good pliers than 6 mediocre or bad ones.

On the other hand, if you used them side-by-side, you would absolutely notice a difference cutting even 14ga solid copper wire with a pair of Channellock side cutters versus the Husky you have now. Channellock (with it's knife and anvil design) would take less effort and cut cleaner. If you are trimming the ends off of screws - I bet your Huskies will wear out in a hurry.

If you already have pliers, I'd say use them until they frustrate you.

Just keep in mind that there is something better. Pliers are the type of hand tool where I think the higher tiers make the most difference (second category: screwdrivers - pick up the $29 6-piece laser-tip Weras from KMS tools when you have a chance).
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11681 posts
5687 upvotes
chrisanthony14 wrote: I've had this shop light. Mine blew and smoke came out of it. Used only a couple tines.
Yea i purchased 3 of these ones back when they were on sale for 19,99 and 1 of them blew fairly quick so i ended up returning all 3.
Ended up purchasing 3 from home depot for 20 each on sale i forget the brand though and so far there working great.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1620 posts
904 upvotes
SW Ontario
jradmcfast wrote: You take that back right now!
I'll not sit here and listen to this Channellock bashing! My E326CB's (6" with the Code Blue handles) are awesome!
lol, I'm hard on hand tools. Needle nose are usually something of a last resort so I tend to be extra hard on them.

But I was still pretty surprised when I mangled my 8" Channel Lock needle nose. After destroying a few sets like these I finally broke down and bought 6 or 7 pliers when they went on sale at CT. All but the needle nose are still doing well 15 years later. I thought there was a lifetime guarantee on them but there isn't. Which is too bad, if they had one they'd be as good as any professional grade tool.

If found steel made in the USA pretty good, but German and Japanese are almost always better quality. When I was working forming on high rises I used lineman's pliers all day. You could chew through a pair like these in a week. The Craftsman and Channel Lock, those mid grade ones in a month. But the German ones would last you almost all year. I wish I remembered the name, all I know is they had green handles.

tl:dr Chinese steel tends to be Ok for general use, American fairly strong for most applications, but if you need to keep an edge on your tool German steel won't let you down.
Aug 15, 2007
619 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
jradmcfast wrote: Maximum has come a long way over the last ~20 years. I agree, they're alright these days. Word on the street is that the Maximum-branded pliers wrench (currently on sale for $40) is made by Wiha (German company, Taiwanese factory). I'd still pick Channellock over Maximum myself, but I can't say you did it wrong.

Mastercraft - ugh. I bought the big pack a few years ago when I was away from home in my RV and needed to fix something - it happened to be what was on sale and it did get the job done. However, I absolutely concur - except I'm not sure "garbage" even goes far enough.
It honestly looks like the entire new Maximum line is made by Wiha. The lineman pliers i have are identical, down to the pipe reaming nose, crimp and textured, dipped grips(which are very nice). I'd put them ahead of Channellock lineman pliers, having used both.

This 3pc lineman/side cutter/long nose plier set @ $40 when on sale is really good value. Add the no hassle, lifetime warranty without having to deal with a manufacturer, and it's a no-brainer imo.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp
Images
  • download.png
Last edited by ff_29 on Jan 20th, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 15, 2007
619 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Hashim85 wrote: Swapping out fixtures and outlets is right. I do enjoy electrical work but don't do a lot of it. I ask because my Huskies are still in the packaging with receipt. Not sure if I should upgrade to the channel locks.
If you feel like splurging a bit over the Husky, get the 3pc above. Better than the Channellock set @ CT imo because it includes the lineman over the slip joint, and because of the warranty.
Apr 9, 2018
366 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
Which 3 piece is this? I assume you mean the maximum ones from CT.
ff_29 wrote: If you feel like splurging a bit over the Husky, get the 3pc above. Better than the Channellock set @ CT imo because it includes the lineman over the slip joint, and because of the warranty.
Aug 15, 2007
619 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Hashim85 wrote: Which 3 piece is this? I assume you mean the maximum ones from CT.
Yes, the one I linked in post #18

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)