Princess Auto

75A Stick Welder on sale again- 98.88

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2021 1:27 pm
Feb 18, 2008
19 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
FWIW - as a newb I bought the flux core welder from CT. Easy to use, one handed (once you close the clamp circuit). I paid 220 for the unit which allows you to add gas (can’t remember the model). Great little unit that I pull out once in a while. Plug it into a 20 amp circuit and get a good auto-tinting helmet with long sleeve gloves and away you go.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2987 posts
1780 upvotes
GTA
traktion wrote: Here it is in action
Not bad, I may grab for small things around the house, car etc.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10348 posts
2921 upvotes
Montreal, QC
traktion wrote: Here it is in action
Is it just me or that guy doesn't know how to weld, that is so ugly with splatter
Jun 24, 2019
85 posts
217 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hello,
Just noticed there are two welder threads going!
Im a welder, 2 years of college and 7 years of experience now with most processes
i can answer questions for anyone that wants some advice about welding, pm or reply here. Heres some pics from this week
Images
  • IMG_20210806_134310.jpg
  • IMG_20210716_110242.jpg
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4144 posts
1186 upvotes
Brampton
DealGoblin wrote: Hello,
Just noticed there are two welder threads going!
Im a welder, 2 years of college and 7 years of experience now with most processes
i can answer questions for anyone that wants some advice about welding, pm or reply here. Heres some pics from this week
I tried stick welding back in high school, but found it difficult and gave up after a couple tries. Now I have the patience to learn.
From just reading this thread, seems stick is better for learning structural frame type/angle iron welding but can be used for thin stuff if you spend some time on it, while flux core/mig is only for sheet metal or tubing. Is that accurate?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Jun 24, 2019
85 posts
217 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
prod wrote: I tried stick welding back in high school, but found it difficult and gave up after a couple tries. Now I have the patience to learn.
From just reading this thread, seems stick is better for learning structural frame type/angle iron welding but can be used for thin stuff if you spend some time on it, while flux core/mig is only for sheet metal or tubing. Is that accurate?
Hi, in my opinion mig is the easiest to learn especially when youre by yourself. Mig is not exclusively sheet metal, the better machine you get the more you can do, at most ive welded 5/8" plate to 5/8 tubing with mig.

I would strongly recommend you get a gas bottle and a lincoln/miller or everlast welder and watch weldingtipsandtricks on youtube. Weld clean metal, not lawnmowers, horseshoes and cutlery

Stick is good for welding outside and when structural integrity is important, like pipes or building structures.

Checkout gmaw_welding_belgium on instagram to see some amazing mig

Pm if you have more questions Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Sep 11, 2017
91 posts
90 upvotes
Hey there, thanks for letting us noobs ask questions. If I want to learn to weld things like table bases, or other interior furniture, as a complement to a woodworking hobby, is MIG the best bet there or would there be a better option? And if something other than this deal, is there a time of year/store where a decent welder goes on sale that I should look for?
Jun 8, 2007
886 posts
259 upvotes
Oshawa
I bought a welder a couple days ago for my daughter. She has taken a few shop classes and enjoyed welding and blacksmithing. She is into the IB program now which means no electives now so I am trying to provide shop opportunities at home. I have built a full woodshop over the last year or so and we have been making all kinds of stuff.

Anyways here is the welder I got: https://www.princessauto.com/145a-dual- ... 0008619470

It was at PA's clearance store in Whitby and I got it for $450. Seemed tomgood to pass up. Am I missing anything with this one for us to learn on? I know we need the basics. Helmets gloves etc . But the welder itself seems decent enough?

Much thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1194 posts
1185 upvotes
Toronto
There seems to be many of us who are interested in taking up a bit of welding as a hobby to get some small stuff done around the house. I'm still figuring out whether stick or Mig Flux Core is the technology i will go with as a beginner, stick is likely a bit less expensive however thinking Mig Flux Core should do everything stick will do but posters are saying it is a bot easier to use and potentially might be better at thinner gauge metal. Don't think you can go wrong on the one you purchased being dual voltage and has inverter technology which i understand is good. You would need someone with experience to give you an honest opinion however if you have built a workshop it seems like a more advanced unit is the right choice for your needs. For many others on here we're just looking for something easy and less expensive as we'll use seldomly apart for the initial time when we will be learning how to use it properly.

We may wish to start a new post on Welding as there seems to be a fair bit of interest and a few posters have expressed that they would be able to help with questions.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Jan 9, 2014
53 posts
84 upvotes
Otugrapes wrote: Hey there, thanks for letting us noobs ask questions. If I want to learn to weld things like table bases, or other interior furniture, as a complement to a woodworking hobby, is MIG the best bet there or would there be a better option? And if something other than this deal, is there a time of year/store where a decent welder goes on sale that I should look for?
For sure MIG would be a better choice. You wont be welding thick stuff.. If you are full penetration wouldn't be a concern. Its cleaner and easier to get a uniform bead as a new comer
Aug 7, 2005
210 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
Although slightly off-topic, does anyone know of a hobbyist course available in Ottawa?
Or would there be interested from any members to run/attend an evening/weekend Intro to Welding course?
I tried to register for evening/weekend intro classes at Algonquin in Ottawa but they don't seem to offer the hobbyist course anymore.

I have a couple of local friends that may be interested too.
We could BYO device and consumables (based on the guidance in this thread).
I'm sure attendees would be happy to pay for the use of power and supervision. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3258 posts
446 upvotes
CALGARY
Picked up this welder with some sticks.

Now can I plug it into any outlet? Also, looking into buying goggles/helmet and gloves, what are some cheaper option just to know that this is something I can actually do?
  • Zoomer : $45/7GB subscriber ($50 Ref + $150 welcome) + Pixel 4A
Jun 24, 2019
85 posts
217 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
salty72 wrote: Although slightly off-topic, does anyone know of a hobbyist course available in Ottawa?
Or would there be interested from any members to run/attend an evening/weekend Intro to Welding course?
I tried to register for evening/weekend intro classes at Algonquin in Ottawa but they don't seem to offer the hobbyist course anymore.

I have a couple of local friends that may be interested too.
We could BYO device and consumables (based on the guidance in this thread).
I'm sure attendees would be happy to pay for the use of power and supervision. :)
I live just outside of ottawa and did my welding and fabrication course at algonquin in 2014, im happy to see this much interest in it.

I have a shop in my garage but im not sure if its a place for classes, but you got me thinking of doing some courses in the future if the interest is there Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1815 posts
1560 upvotes
I have both stick and mig. The stick is a Lincoln 225 amp and the mig is a century 160 amp.

I would definitely recommend the mig welder. You can get into tighter spots, like welding exhaust pipes while in the car and you have better control, better visibility. The mig also is easier to learn.

I only use the stick for heavier materials over 1/4 inch thick and the mig for everything else.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1194 posts
1185 upvotes
Toronto
I tend to have learned the same thing, so looking for a Mig Flux Core 125i Inverter Welder when i see a mega sale around, not in a hurry so have time to wait for the right deal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7464 posts
7522 upvotes
ATOMANTMAN wrote: 20% duty cycle is very low. 2 minutes weld every 10 minutes.
It's $100. Honestly, what would you expect?

This is a hobby welder. If you are doing a seam for more than 2 minutes you need something bigger.

FWIW my brother built a whole 4x8 trailer with a welder of this class. It's perfect for most non pros.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1194 posts
1185 upvotes
Toronto
Have to agree with that statement, for $100 can fulfill plenty of needs.