613 upvotes

[Princess Auto] 9" High-Velocity Metal Fan ( 1,400 CFM ) - $14.88

22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2793 posts
2373 upvotes
BC
Is this better than the small Honeywell plastic floor fans?
Jan 23, 2007
257 posts
256 upvotes
London
I had this in my daughters room, and occasionally in the house, to move air. At highest speed, it does move air, but not at an industrial level. It has a CFM on 185. I like it.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JE3 ... UTF8&psc=1

THIS badboy has a CFM of 1,400! HOWEVER though, the reviews are also call that a load of crap.

for $15, a fan like this is worth exactly this price. It's a good value

muffin4life wrote: Is this better than the small Honeywell plastic floor fans?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4425 posts
3076 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Is it noisy?
This one says it has 2 speeds. I have one that looks identical that I bought in the USA back in 2006 with 3 speeds. I use it on low speed a few feet away from my head while I am sleeping. I actually sleep well with the mild hum that the motor makes. At the highest setting, it makes far too much noise to be trying to sleep a few feet away from but also moves too much air to be comfortable from that distance as well. 15 years and still going strong, but I really only use it on the warmest nights in the summer months.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
613 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Is it noisy?
At it's max setting, ~12db less than plastic 16" ped or 20" box on low [hi/max] setting. But pushes out just as much air. Metal blades are much quieter.
muffin4life wrote: Is this better than the small Honeywell plastic floor fans?
The Honeywell pushes air within a 45 degree angle ( may feel stronger at a narrower range). This fan does it within 90 degree angle ( the air flow is more spread out).
Last edited by the2ndme on Jun 1st, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 14, 2006
872 posts
1013 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
K85 wrote: I had this in my daughters room, and occasionally in the house, to move air. At highest speed, it does move air, but not at an industrial level. It has a CFM on 185. I like it.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JE3 ... UTF8&psc=1

THIS badboy has a CFM of 1,400! HOWEVER though, the reviews are also call that a load of crap.

for $15, a fan like this is worth exactly this price. It's a good value

Am I reading this right? 185cfm @75W with the honeywell, or 1400cfm at 25W with this? I'll never buy a honeywell if true.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1278 posts
662 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: This one says it has 2 speeds. I have one that looks identical that I bought in the USA back in 2006 with 3 speeds. I use it on low speed a few feet away from my head while I am sleeping. I actually sleep well with the mild hum that the motor makes. At the highest setting, it makes far too much noise to be trying to sleep a few feet away from but also moves too much air to be comfortable from that distance as well. 15 years and still going strong, but I really only use it on the warmest nights in the summer months.
Obviously you're not from S. Korea, or you would know the risks of having a fan running while you sleep (sarcasm)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
Jun 25, 2006
229 posts
63 upvotes
I bought this fan. Not that powerful and the the claimed 1400 cfm is not close to this number. It is not loud but you can hear some noise.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22140 posts
8497 upvotes
Socially Distanced
1400cfm!
I can use it for my new energy auditing business, the blower door apparatus costs several grand and is commonly used at 1500cfm, this is saving me mucho money because its legitimate.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14322 posts
9086 upvotes
Markham
I'm not a physics major/engineer but according to the website below....1400 CFM is not unreasonable. [This fan is 9 inch, not sure the pitch, but it's high velocity not a regular fan.]

https://www.hunker.com/13407187/how-to- ... -from-rpms

According to the general fan law governing axial fans, you will need to know the fan blade diameter and pitch (blade tilt or attack angle) along with the rpm variable to calculate CFM. In this example, a small household fan on a stand has a three-bladed plastic fan with a 1-foot diameter and an 8-inch effective pitch. This means that each revolution of the running fan blows the one-foot-diameter column of air coming through the fan 8 inches toward you after accounting for efficiency losses. The fan is running at 1,200 rpm.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22140 posts
8497 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gr8dlr wrote: I'm not a physics major/engineer but according to the website below....1400 CFM is not unreasonable. [This fan is 9 inch, not sure the pitch, but it's high velocity not a regular fan.]

https://www.hunker.com/13407187/how-to- ... -from-rpms

According to the general fan law governing axial fans, you will need to know the fan blade diameter and pitch (blade tilt or attack angle) along with the rpm variable to calculate CFM. In this example, a small household fan on a stand has a three-bladed plastic fan with a 1-foot diameter and an 8-inch effective pitch. This means that each revolution of the running fan blows the one-foot-diameter column of air coming through the fan 8 inches toward you after accounting for efficiency losses. The fan is running at 1,200 rpm.
I've experienced 1500 calibrated cfm, at close distance it will bowl you over from such a small point source.
My furnace blower motor is rated for 600cfm iirc. For the whole house.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14322 posts
9086 upvotes
Markham
I can't fully understand what the number means which is why I referenced that a simple household fan performs ie 1200 CFM.

A good kitchen exhaust fan can pull 1000 CFM but I'm not anywhere scared of being pulled up into it? So how does your 1500 CFM translate into "bowl you over"?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22140 posts
8497 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gr8dlr wrote: I can't fully understand what the number means which is why I referenced that a simple household fan performs ie 1200 CFM.

A good kitchen exhaust fan can pull 1000 CFM but I'm not anywhere scared of being pulled up into it? So how does your 1500 CFM translate into "bowl you over"?
A kitchen exhaust fan that actually pulls 1000cfm (under expected static pressure) will need a large opening to achieve it and from a small footprint is very powerful.
1400cfm from a nine inch fan is going to be like a vortex of air. It is far more likely that this fan puts out 140 cfm.
Feb 5, 2010
353 posts
129 upvotes
Joedest wrote: $7 shipping... RIP
Princess Auto has free shipping right now when you spend over $50. Which shouldn't be hard to do there Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 15, 2017
512 posts
565 upvotes
these are trash. I've had a honeywell for 4 years and lots of hours on it, even used 24/7 to circulate a woodstove at one point and still going strong. This fan lasted one summer before quit. It's noisy and moves less air.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3493 posts
2263 upvotes
Montreal
No freakin way it's anywhere near 1400 cfm, 140 maybe. My 19" high velocity fan is only rated 1200 CFM, and it's already loud enough that you wouldn't want to be in the same room when its running.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
613 upvotes
miningminer wrote: these are trash. I've had a honeywell for 4 years and lots of hours on it, even used 24/7 to circulate a woodstove at one point and still going strong. This fan lasted one summer before quit. It's noisy and moves less air.
How is the free replacement?