• Jul 9th, 2020 11:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2525 posts
1550 upvotes
Durham

[Princess Auto] Adjustable Bar Clamp 4/6/12/24/36" $2.49/4.99/5.99/6.99/7.99

Was looking for some adjustable clamps, and found these. Price is great, and seems low risk with Princess Auto's return policy.

Has anyone ever tried these?

4 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

6 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

12 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

24 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

36 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1470 posts
5191 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Hot deal for the 36. Upvote. Tx op
What's in your wallet?
Nov 23, 2006
321 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
I just ordered a pair of 4 in, 12 in and 24 in. I've never used them before, but I've been looking for a set for some items on my "Honey-Build" project list when I go on Parental Leave and figured for this price you can't go wrong, even if they only work for these few projects.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1998 upvotes
Ottawa
What sizes would people recommend for general future use in your workshop? I definitely have need for something like this every now and then, but I don't think I'd need one of each size!
I am a current Koodo customer
Dec 6, 2013
702 posts
259 upvotes
Ontario
Thank you OP bought some =)
:cool:
Nov 23, 2006
321 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
cappaj wrote: What sizes would people recommend for general future use in your workshop? I definitely have need for something like this every now and then, but I don't think I'd need one of each size!
I have no direct experience myself, so others may chime in, but I figured that you CAN use longer clamps for shorter jobs (a 24" will work in place of a 6", for example), but the length may be cumbersome. I'm also a bit wary about how "strong" some of the longer ones are, and figure they may flex more than wanted, so if I need to go bigger than 24", I'll probably try to pick up a set of 1/2" pipe clamps. But again, that's just my non-expert, not-very-handy thoughts.
Mar 7, 2017
30 posts
26 upvotes
cappaj wrote: What sizes would people recommend for general future use in your workshop? I definitely have need for something like this every now and then, but I don't think I'd need one of each size!
Bigger ones are better but honestly, you can never have too many clamps.
Aug 23, 2001
315 posts
326 upvotes
NS
These look like fairly light-duty clamps, there isn't enough plastic in the jaws:

Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45017 posts
5571 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mailliw wrote: These look like fairly light-duty clamps, there isn't enough plastic in the jaws:

These should only be used to secure something in place so that you can use the stronger F clamps to put the required pressure.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2082 posts
775 upvotes
All of these Princess Auto deals being posted are killing my wallet. Fortunately I already have all the adjustable clamps I need so I can resist this deal but I'm sure there will be another irresistible deal from them posted here soon. Even though I won't be ordering this time, I'll still upvote the OP for posting this.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1262 posts
423 upvotes
This video gives you a run down of the various clamp types; at the end he recommends the basic types and numbers of clamps you might need. I found it helpful:
Youtube Link
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Mar 10, 2016
23 posts
28 upvotes
jugojugo wrote: Was looking for some adjustable clamps, and found these. Price is great, and seems low risk with Princess Auto's return policy.

Has anyone ever tried these?

4 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

6 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

12 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

24 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

36 in. Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreader

I've used these. I bought them to help with a small tile project and they are all broken. If you squeeze the trigger too hard, the body of the clamp will break/pop open rendering the clamp barely usable.
I don't recommend them for any real job work.
These are definitely light duty only. Maybe good for small craft work????
Jan 24, 2008
97 posts
115 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: These should only be used to secure something in place so that you can use the stronger F clamps to put the required pressure.
100% I have snapped several similar to this, Canadian Tire jobs.. I will say for light duty tasks they are incredibly convenient and easy to use.. the fact that they even state "spreader" is laughable, do not under any circumstance attempt to spread something with any force whatsoever with these. Any advice for a deal on something more robust? I see the giant woodworking ones on TV but they are incredibly pricey. That said I may pick up 1 or 2 more of these as they are incredibly convenient.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1470 posts
5191 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
CalgaryRunner wrote: All of these Princess Auto deals being posted are killing my wallet. Fortunately I already have all the adjustable clamps I need so I can resist this deal but I'm sure there will be another irresistible deal from them posted here soon. Even though I won't be ordering this time, I'll still upvote the OP for posting this.
Dude. You can never have enough clamps.
What's in your wallet?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2082 posts
775 upvotes
Spawk1028 wrote: Dude. You can never have enough clamps.
LOL, you haven't seen my workshop. Also, my clamps are all metal so they're strong enough to handle any project I'm doing.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1262 posts
423 upvotes
I ordered this 4 pc Bessey F clamp set (2 each of the 6-inch GSCC2.506 and 12-inch GSCC2.512 clamps) from HD for $30.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5010 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a better built clamp, I would check out KMS Tools. I recently bought a whole bunch of clamps from them (the shipping fees if you aren't local may kill the deal though):

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-24-ratc ... der-102915

I also don't think you can compare these clamps to pipe clamps with a cast iron pipe. They are way more sturdier but but they are also equally more cumbersome (heavy, can damage the work surface, can't operate with one hand) and I don't find them really necessary unless I have a big project (over 36") or I am doing a glue-up. In either event, KMS tools has (I think) the lowest price on pipe clamps:

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-3-4-pipe-clamp-119031
Oct 7, 2007
282 posts
73 upvotes
Rider Nation
Buyer Beware. Princess Auto, I had 4 of the 12 inch, snapped every one of the hand clamps. I was using them to clamp wooden boxes together while the glue set. The handles broke, Stick with the Bessey or similar quality , if you do any serious project work. I returned them