Expired Hot Deals

Princess Auto

Auto AC Refrigerant sale (save upto 40%)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 12:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4105 posts
9310 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

[Princess Auto] Auto AC Refrigerant sale (save upto 40%)

58
37 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2005
2574 posts
1268 upvotes
Montréal, QC
How do we use those products?
Do we use the moisture removal can before the leak stop one?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2249 posts
2617 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I recently swapped out my condenser for another one

Would these work to fill the system again or would I have to get the gases balanced somewhere?
Member
Jan 27, 2010
211 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Yeh does anyone know if there is a DIY tutorial on how to use these? My Ac stopped working and I’d be down to fix it myself if there is a good tutorial or YouTube video
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1539 posts
1139 upvotes
Read up on these products. Lots can go wrong which can ruin the components of your AC system. When you do end up bringing it to the shop to get it fixed and they find out the system has this product in it, it can cost you a fair amount to clean out there machine. I use the strait refrigerant cans on my vehicles myself. However, I have a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to ensure I do it right. The fill adapter that they sell in the kit is nearly useless as it doesn't monitor the high side pressure. YMMV on this one guys.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
2513 posts
1103 upvotes
i got these on the last sale for $5 a piece. They only last for 1 season and performance isn't great, not enough cool. You will need a few to fill up from empty. If you have to use these then something wrong with your AC system. I ended up getting my car AC clean out and refill with the real stuff for $180. It's ice cold now like new. This is just a quick fix. You will spend more money on these in the long run. Unless you don't want the car anymore that's fine to go with.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20242 posts
13567 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
One very important thing to note - Check the type of refrigerant your car currently has and only use that type to refill - not all cars use the same stuff. All newish cars should be using R-134a which is not the same as the stuff on sale.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
2513 posts
1103 upvotes
craftsman wrote: One very important thing to note - Check the type of refrigerant your car currently has and only use that type to refill - not all cars use the same stuff. All newish cars should be using R-134a which is not the same as the stuff on sale.
well the A12 suppose to work with R-134a system for me they don't provide adequate cooling since my AC was condenser was blocked and need a clean so I can't say it works 100%.
Member
Oct 15, 2013
355 posts
340 upvotes
These cans have "for professional use" written on them for good reasons.

If your AC is out of freon, it's leaking. Once the leak is fixed you need to empty the system with a vacuum pump and gauges. Once the system is really empty (like, close to space void) can you refill it with the correct amount of the proper gas and oil mixture. It takes a scale, gauges and know how.

Emptying your system of freon in the open air is illegal, and filling a leaking system without fixing the leak is frowned upon as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20242 posts
13567 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
xpressmerchant wrote: well the A12 suppose to work with R-134a system for me they don't provide adequate cooling since my AC was condenser was blocked and need a clean so I can't say it works 100%.
Works with R-134a systems is different than mixing with R-134a refrigerant...
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes
Episode666 wrote: These cans have "for professional use" written on them for good reasons.

If your AC is out of freon, it's leaking. Once the leak is fixed you need to empty the system with a vacuum pump and gauges. Once the system is really empty (like, close to space void) can you refill it with the correct amount of the proper gas and oil mixture. It takes a scale, gauges and know how.

Emptying your system of freon in the open air is illegal, and filling a leaking system without fixing the leak is frowned upon as well.
Rfd is where just dumping a few cans to get through summer is the norm.
Member
Dec 8, 2013
241 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
blackston3 wrote: I recently swapped out my condenser for another one

Would these work to fill the system again or would I have to get the gases balanced somewhere?
No. As soon as your system is exposed to the atmosphere you must fully evacuate the system with a vaccum pump. At this point you might as well fill with the proper 134a.
CamGuy85 wrote: Yeh does anyone know if there is a DIY tutorial on how to use these? My Ac stopped working and I’d be down to fix it myself if there is a good tutorial or YouTube video
If it has a very slow leak and it just is down on refrigerant, you can "get it working" with a can or two of this stuff. However, it's not a great thing to do as you are mixing 134a and 12a which shouldn't be mixed. But in reality that's exactly the market for these cans, as anyone who has access to a vaccum pump to properly evacuate the system isn't going to fill it with this stuff.
It's a cheap fix, but I wouldn't use it on anything you care about. Also, most shops won't even touch it if you tell them you filled it with those cans.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
There is a reason that stuff like this used to require a license and training before purchasing, when did that change?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Member
Oct 15, 2013
355 posts
340 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Rfd is where just dumping a few cans to get through summer is the norm.
I know, but it still sucks. Seriously, the weather is hot enough as it is without spilling refrigerants in the atmosphere through amateur AC jobs.

/rant
Last edited by Episode666 on Jul 7th, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14572 upvotes
Side question: Do they sell manifold gauges at PA? Are they on sale too, and are they as cheap as you can get 'em at HF (during non-covid border-closed time)?
Member
Apr 14, 2017
333 posts
589 upvotes
Can we please stick to the topic instead of everyone telling us how bad they are for cars and environment? We don’t need 10 people saying the same thing, we get it, thank you very much.

As for those that are looking for a deal to refill, checkout this deal, it’s actually better than the sale items but you have to buy two.

2 cans for $10
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8899478e
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
2513 posts
1103 upvotes
cmosve wrote: Can we please stick to the topic instead of everyone telling us how bad they are for cars and environment? We don’t need 10 people saying the same thing, we get it, thank you very much.

As for those that are looking for a deal to refill, checkout this deal, it’s actually better than the sale items but you have to buy two.

2 cans for $10
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8899478e
No doubt this is a great deal compare to how much crappy tire charge per can. You will need an AC filling kit also which will cost at least $30. For what it worth get a professional to do it. An AC refill cost about $100 or less. So you will save $50 maybe but you run the risk of having the AC not working correctly by not filling it properly and your time. Just my two cents since I used these already. Quickfix and last only one season. Not sure how the gas escaped but my AC isn't leaking. At the Autoshop they have proper tool to check the pressure when they fill and ensure that your AC line is not clogged up.
Sr. Member
Jul 22, 2015
819 posts
1651 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cmosve wrote: Can we please stick to the topic instead of everyone telling us how bad they are for cars and environment? We don’t need 10 people saying the same thing, we get it, thank you very much.

As for those that are looking for a deal to refill, checkout this deal, it’s actually better than the sale items but you have to buy two.

2 cans for $10
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8899478e
I Disagree, I think it's great. If plenty of people are telling you to not do something, Probably best not to do it.

a) your not saving much more
b) it's horrible for your vehicle and the environment

Have a good day :)

Side question: Do they sell manifold gauges at PA? Are they on sale too, and are they as cheap as you can get 'em at HF (during non-covid border-closed time)?

You can get the Manifold set at Canadian Tire for about $250.
a vacuum pump on Amazon is about $250. (very important to evacuate your system since Moisture and cold don't mix)
Then you need a ODP card to buy r134

Top