Expired Hot Deals

[Princess Auto] Digital Multimeter Tester $9.99 50% off

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
1436 posts
473 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Digital Multimeter Tester $9.99 50% off

Remember Sale starts November 10, 2020 to November 22, 2020, not at the current moment. Just got flyer today.

Digital Multimeter Tester
Store code number 8964447
Reg $19.99 Sale $9.99
50%

package size 7.6x5.6x1.2 inches Size looks big but it could also be package size
weight 0.4 lbs

Similar one at Amazon.ca cost about $28.97, not sure if it the exact model number

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Tool- ... B000N34604
This one is pocket size multimeter, so I doubt it's big.

I don't know the quality or accuracy of this product
Last edited by MasterMK on Nov 5th, 2020 12:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
23 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 20, 2011
83 posts
297 upvotes
I ordered a similar-looking one for ~$4 from AliExpress which might come next year, and I regret the purchase already.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 19, 2005
4487 posts
1390 upvotes
qwerty17327 wrote: I ordered a similar-looking one for ~$4 from AliExpress which might come next year, and I regret the purchase already.
Other than an order that took 3 months to arrive earlier in the year, all my recent (10+) orders came between 2 weeks and 2 months (knock on wood). Canada Post hate me less now.
signature closed for renovation
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 20, 2011
83 posts
297 upvotes
recordman wrote: Other than an order that took 3 months to arrive earlier in the year, all my recent (10+) orders came between 2 weeks and 2 months (knock on wood). Canada Post hate me less now.
Is it really Canada Post the bottleneck for parcels coming from China? Just trying to understand.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1022 posts
825 upvotes
qwerty17327 wrote: Is it really Canada Post the bottleneck for parcels coming from China? Just trying to understand.
I recently placed an order and chose shipping via ChinaPost (paid a small amount more than the regular shipping method offered by seller) - and I received it within 1-1/2 weeks. I don't order much, but I think choosing Ali shipping or ChinaPost would be more reliable than the sellers option (usually questionable shippers). YMMV.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 19, 2005
4487 posts
1390 upvotes
qwerty17327 wrote: Is it really Canada Post the bottleneck for parcels coming from China? Just trying to understand.
Actually, I got it wrong. It's not CP that's the issue, it's Canada Customs. If you order from a reputable seller, if it arrives late, it's most likely held at Canada Customs. Many people tracked their packages and sometimes they get stuck at Customs for months.
signature closed for renovation
Member
User avatar
Mar 10, 2011
374 posts
272 upvotes
Niagara
Price in title please. Thanks
See sumtin'. Say sumtin'. ('less someone else already did)
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
44 posts
27 upvotes
Richmond Hill
qwerty17327 wrote: Is it really Canada Post the bottleneck for parcels coming from China? Just trying to understand.
Yup lots of my packages have cleared customs and showed up with Canada Post and still take up to a month to ship from Vancouver to Toronto. Even my last shipment that came from China went from China to Singapore to Toronto in 2 weeks then took another two weeks from Mississauga to Richmond Hill lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17151 posts
9885 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
frugal69 wrote: I recently placed an order and chose shipping via ChinaPost (paid a small amount more than the regular shipping method offered by seller) - and I received it within 1-1/2 weeks. I don't order much, but I think choosing Ali shipping or ChinaPost would be more reliable than the sellers option (usually questionable shippers). YMMV.
I've had similar experiences when the vendor actually does what they say. However, I've had vendors that state they are shipping with Ali shipping or even ePacket and then they don't and provide some tracking number that doesn't even go in the system and place an expected delivery date 100+ days out with shipping happening in another 30 days out. And of course, the package never arrives.... heck, I don't even know if it shipped as the tracking number may not even work.
Sr. Member
Oct 10, 2020
668 posts
426 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: I recently placed an order and chose shipping via ChinaPost (paid a small amount more than the regular shipping method offered by seller) - and I received it within 1-1/2 weeks. I don't order much, but I think choosing Ali shipping or ChinaPost would be more reliable than the sellers option (usually questionable shippers). YMMV.
I ordered multiple items from a seller a few days ago and got a surprise upgrade to "ePacket" ( the tracking # is in Canada Post's system ). The total order was under $20.
Sr. Member
Oct 10, 2020
668 posts
426 upvotes
recordman wrote: Other than an order that took 3 months to arrive earlier in the year, all my recent (10+) orders came between 2 weeks and 2 months (knock on wood). Canada Post hate me less now.
Canada Post is processing AliExpress local returns ( "Free Return") . They are making some money there.
Member
User avatar
Mar 4, 2006
443 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have any idea about multimeters. There seems to be quite a few that has popped up in RFD last few days. Just looking for something to check home electronics and small circuitry and knick knacks.

Thoughts on this princess auto multimeter vs Canadian Tire. Appreciate your opinions
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
1436 posts
473 upvotes
To my knowledge, the Canadian tire one doesn't read amperage (current) plus the probe lead could be different so it would be harder to get it into electric outlet. It take LR44 battery (might be difficult to find). The price for this kind of smart meter is $30 at Sayal so $70 regular price is exaggerated. It can read voltage and resistance without changing a knob dial.

Princess Auto one can read amperage (current) and probably has 9 volt battery (readily available in store). Lead metal might be well exposed and can be changed for different if need be. Canadian tire one, you won't be able to do this because it soldered in. The question is accuracy of reading of this multimeter. It can also read voltage, resistance and few other things. It has knob dial to set to proper reading, you won't have to change decimal places in your head like Canadian Tire one, provided you set it correctly. It has on-off switch whereas Canadian tire has push button type (prone to breaking maybe).
Member
User avatar
Mar 4, 2006
443 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
MasterMK wrote: To my knowledge, the Canadian tire one doesn't read amperage (current) plus the probe lead could be different so it would be harder to get it into electric outlet. It take LR44 battery (might be difficult to find). The price for this kind of smart meter is $30 at Sayal so $70 regular price is exaggerated. It can read voltage and resistance without changing a knob dial.

Princess Auto one can read amperage (current) and probably has 9 volt battery (readily available in store). Lead metal might be well exposed and can be changed for different if need be. Canadian tire one, you won't be able to do this because it soldered in. The question is accuracy of reading of this multimeter. It can also read voltage, resistance and few other things. It has knob dial to set to proper reading, you won't have to change decimal places in your head like Canadian Tire one, provided you set it correctly. It has on-off switch whereas Canadian tire has push button type (prone to breaking maybe).
This is great! Thank you
Member
Oct 14, 2007
399 posts
426 upvotes
Thedford
This meter looks similar to the ones you could get for free with a coupon at Harbor Freight Tools when we used to be allowed to go to the USA.

Be careful! When using this meter be absolutely sure you have the selector dial set to the correct property you wish to measure as well as the test leads in the correct ports. These low cost meters lack safeguards to prevent damage (to you or the meter) if you mistakenly attempt to measure with the meter set to the wrong function. For example measuring voltage when it is ohms mode. You could let the smoke out or worse.

I have found them to be reasonably accurate measuring DC volts and low current amperage. I would not use it in high voltage applications.
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2017
101 posts
105 upvotes
This is the exact same meter they sell for 3$ in India. I used to need one every 2 months as they blow out pretty quick if used in the wrong setting. One blew out because I connected it to a tiny toy motor and spun the shaft using fingers and the back emf destroyed it immediately lmao
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14509 posts
8431 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Lol pretty sure I fried this one on the wrong dial a few years ago too
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
8009 posts
1516 upvotes
nvm
Last edited by CFRTim on Nov 6th, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim

Top