[Princess Auto] ELM 327 OBDII Bluetooth Code Reader $11.99 + free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 8:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2008
907 posts
253 upvotes

[Princess Auto] ELM 327 OBDII Bluetooth Code Reader $11.99 + free shipping

ELM 327 OBDII Bluetooth Code Reader is 11.99 at Princess Auto with free shipping. While you might be able to get this for cheaper from overseas via ebay, this is the lowest I have seen in Canada with free shipping.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 16th, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
69 replies
Mar 9, 2007
100 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks OP! Been looking for one from a trusted place.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1398 posts
1539 upvotes
This is a very bulky device and been on the market since 2012, very dated.

It will still work, but newer one might be more up to date.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1452 posts
437 upvotes
Vancouver
will this work for like a volkswagen 2015 GTI mk7? or it's all the same regardless of OBD11? Ones for german cars on amazon sell like over $140 for the basic one.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2002 posts
1342 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this a clone chip with the very old version or a legit one?
Dec 25, 2014
41 posts
19 upvotes
Boischatel, QC
Cucumference wrote: This is a very bulky device and been on the market since 2012, very dated.

It will still work, but newer one might be more up to date.
So I guess it's perfect for a 2012 car?

Thanks OP!
Feb 14, 2006
608 posts
560 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
pentexplorer wrote: will this work for like a volkswagen 2015 GTI mk7? or it's all the same regardless of OBD11? Ones for german cars on amazon sell like over $140 for the basic one.
From what I know, no, you need some sort of special active cable to turn whatever Volkswagen uses into odb compatible. My friend was unable to use mine in their Volkswagen. There is a compatibility chart for these somewhere. Clones are v1.0 only and the official ones can be updated and have more support
Jan 14, 2008
468 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
I have this from a few months ago
Had paid full price
These are the free android apps i had been using with this device

Torque (lite)
Car scanner
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4485 posts
1366 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Is this a clone chip with the very old version or a legit one?
It's a clone
I bought one last year. Did not work with my software
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3196 posts
896 upvotes
Mississauga
hey guys, just FYI, not sure if these new gen readers go in 'sleep' mode, but I once made the mistake of leaving an older generation model plugged in and it completely drained my battery.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2237 posts
1250 upvotes
GTA
Tig wrote: hey guys, just FYI, not sure if these new gen readers go in 'sleep' mode, but I once made the mistake of leaving an older generation model plugged in and it completely drained my battery.
Anything plugged into the OBD port will get continuous power.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3196 posts
896 upvotes
Mississauga
Akizuki wrote: Anything plugged into the OBD port will get continuous power.
yeah, i felt like a total dolt when I tried to turn over the ignition and it was dead and i saw the reader plugged in lol.
Sep 29, 2010
423 posts
536 upvotes
Not 100% true. Depends on your vehicle. My Nissan kills OBDII power when the car is off.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4248 posts
381 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
For those looking for a reliable app check out this one...It doesnt do of course what a Ross tech does but for basic home garage newbie it does offer lots of options.

https://caristaapp.com
Aug 30, 2009
102 posts
64 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Cucumference wrote: This is a very bulky device and been on the market since 2012, very dated.
Care to link a smaller, more modern device at a reasonable price?
pentexplorer wrote: will this work for like a volkswagen 2015 GTI mk7? or it's all the same regardless of OBD11? Ones for german cars on amazon sell like over $140 for the basic one.
I have bought a very similar device for the in-laws and I believe I tested it in my car (2008 Audi TT which shares a lot with Golf) and it worked just fine. ;) The device I've been using for the past few years was also a cheap ELM327 clone as well. AFAIK, no need to spend $100+ unless you're getting advanced diagnostics of BlueDriver/MX+ or want to be able to reprogram your car settings.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10770 posts
5072 upvotes
With these clones yes,However some of the newer legit ones on the market have sleep mode and will shut off.
I have one plugged into my vehicle all the time its under a cover in dash so you never see it and then i have a android 8 inch screen that has torque pro thats always running so its nice see what you need anytime and not having to unplug the reader.

this one here is a clone with old software it may or may not work with torque or other apps. I purchased one before christmas for a small gift but it was a dud would not work with torque or my ford app. I returned and bought them another we tried it and it worked no issues at all.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1743 posts
1132 upvotes
Markham
Akizuki wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/ELM327-Bluetooth- ... e=UTF8&me=

Doesnt work for Iphone but works for Android.
There are two types out there, one works for IOS and the other for Android. Something to do with bluetooth vs wifi connection if I remember correctly.
Paid around $12 on Ebay few years ago and sb same one as Princess Auto one. Tried it on BMW, Acura, Infiniti and no issues for basic stuff including resetting engine light.