• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 10:18 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6615 posts
3270 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Fuel Stabilizer $3.99

It's that time of year again - in prep for storing my Mazda Miata and my lawnmower for the season I did a quick search for a deal on Fuel Stabilizer.

Princess Auto has 350 ml bottles on sale - much less expensive than CT/PartsSource/Amazon/HD/Lowes etc.

Screen Shot 10-16-21 at 10.13 AM.PNG
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 16th, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price was missing from the title
41 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3079 posts
5507 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Are all fuel stabilizers made the same and do the same purpose regardless of brand, etc? Need it for my lawnmower.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1663 posts
660 upvotes
Markham
stovetop wrote: Are all fuel stabilizers made the same and do the same purpose regardless of brand, etc? Need it for my lawnmower.
This video will answer your question.... or maybe not... :P
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6615 posts
3270 upvotes
lildevilx wrote: This video will answer your question.... or maybe not... :P
Fill your tank with NON ETHANOL premium gas and fuel stabilizer.
Dec 31, 2011
235 posts
281 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Apparently even Shell is converting to all ethanol based fuels including the supreme blend due to government regulations according to a different RFD thread. Might be hard to get this kind of fuel in the future unless you know a source
May 10, 2020
395 posts
284 upvotes
I think the best way to store lawn mower or snow blower is to let it run and burn all the fuel and store it empty
Mar 4, 2009
131 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
dan2011 wrote: Apparently even Shell is converting to all ethanol based fuels including the supreme blend due to government regulations according to a different RFD thread. Might be hard to get this kind of fuel in the future unless you know a source
Canadian Tire premium gas is also ethanol free
Rogers Ignite 500u - $29.99/month
Fido 15GB data only plan - $0/month
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3695 posts
781 upvotes
Kingston
dan2011 wrote: Apparently even Shell is converting to all ethanol based fuels including the supreme blend due to government regulations according to a different RFD thread. Might be hard to get this kind of fuel in the future unless you know a source
Ethanol or not shouldn't really matter too much as long as you dont let the fuel sit in your machines for too long. That's the key, only put enough gas in to do what it is needed for that job at that time that way you don't have gas sitting there for a week (I cut the lawn once a week) or until the next use. When I winterize my lawnmower, I drain all the fuel from it, fill my tank about a quarter way (yes I know it's excessive, but better to be safe than sorry) with just fuel stablizer, flush it through the lines and that's it. Same with my snowblower, pressure washer, etc and I have never had a problem getting them to start back up in the spring/fall after them sitting for months.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3695 posts
781 upvotes
Kingston
noobsrus wrote: I think the best way to store lawn mower or snow blower is to let it run and burn all the fuel and store it empty
You can do that + add fuel stabilizer and flush it through the lines by pulling the pull cord 5 to 10 times and that's it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6503 posts
1171 upvotes
stovetop wrote: Are all fuel stabilizers made the same and do the same purpose regardless of brand, etc? Need it for my lawnmower.
I think the video largely answers that question although the best thing you can do for your lawnmower is to run the engine to use up the remaining gas so it's dry going into storage.
plymouthhater wrote: Fill your tank with NON ETHANOL premium gas and fuel stabilizer.
Alternatively this is the next best solution to winter storage. I use regular ethanol gas throughout the summer and then in late fall switch to premium non-ethanol with Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. I have in fact just done this as I head towards the last couple of mowings before the snow falls.

Good video incidentally.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1260 posts
1057 upvotes
Airdrie
Yeah I usually put Shell 91 and fuel stabilizer in a fill if something is going to sit for a few months or longer.

I have a love/hate relationship with ethanol as my subaru is flex-fuel tuned and runs on both E85 and Shell 91.

Ethanol can produce incredible power in small forced induction engines, I run E85 in the summer and the engine puts out an additional 40 whp over Shell 91.

But it gets unusable in the cold and can gum up the injectors if gasoline is not run through every few tanks. Lose all that vroom vroom in the winter.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3095 posts
3017 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kcorscadden wrote: Ethanol or not shouldn't really matter too much as long as you dont let the fuel sit in your machines for too long. That's the key, only put enough gas in to do what it is needed for that job at that time that way you don't have gas sitting there for a week (I cut the lawn once a week) or until the next use. When I winterize my lawnmower, I drain all the fuel from it, fill my tank about a quarter way (yes I know it's excessive, but better to be safe than sorry) with just fuel stablizer, flush it through the lines and that's it. Same with my snowblower, pressure washer, etc and I have never had a problem getting them to start back up in the spring/fall after them sitting for months.
No that easy to do on my 72 Buick, with a 95L tank :(

Ethanol is just a pain in the @ss for in carb based equipment. The water absorption properties of Ethanol, make it corrosive. The corrosion issue is most detrimental in carbureted vehicles, where critical carb components are made from die-cast aluminum or zinc (which will corrode when stored) :(
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3695 posts
781 upvotes
Kingston
Emporium wrote: No that easy to do on my 72 Buick, with a 95L tank :(

Ethanol is just a pain in the @ss for in carb based equipment. The water absorption properties of Ethanol, make it corrosive. The corrosion issue is most detrimental in carbureted vehicles, where critical carb components are made from die-cast aluminum or zinc (which will corrode when stored) :(
Yes in vehicles you need non ethanol fuel, but I am referring to small engines like a lawnmower or snowblower. What I said above still applies to small engines. I have done this method for many years without fail
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3095 posts
3017 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kcorscadden wrote: Yes in vehicles you need non ethanol fuel, but I am referring to small engines like a lawnmower or snowblower. What I said above still applies to small engines. I have done this method for many years without fail
Yes.. For small engines, agreed.

I had my Craftsman mower for 23yrs, and in the first decade "when I didn't know better", I would use regular fuel, and just leave less than 1/4 tank of fuel in tank, add more than double amount of fuel stabilizer than recommended, run it for a few seconds to get it circulating into system, and then store for winter. Spring, I would top up the tank with fresh fuel, and never had an issue starting it up with 2 or 3 pulls. 2 weeks ago, it died (I think it blew a valve - will open up during winter and check it out), but nothing due to fuel..

My nearly 40 yr old Toro snowblower, was treated the same, and never had an issue starting it. Still works like a charm.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2078 posts
3172 upvotes
Atlantic
noobsrus wrote: I think the best way to store lawn mower or snow blower is to let it run and burn all the fuel and store it empty
You can't use all the fuel even when its "dry".

The carburetor bowl always has fuel in it. Unless you drain that as well, doubtful the majority of people actually remove the bowl.

Hence why it is good to use fuel stabilizer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6588 posts
2953 upvotes
West GTEH!
Good deal.

However, I have a few cans of Seafoam I need to use up for my Snowblower.
😎
Jun 18, 2008
600 posts
275 upvotes
Burnaby
Fuel stabilizer also goes bad after a couple of years when exposed to oxygen. So i always have to buy a new bottle everytime i use it to store my motorcycle off season
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7436 posts
2371 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
plymouthhater wrote: It's that time of year again - in prep for storing my Mazda Miata and my lawnmower for the season I did a quick search for a deal on Fuel Stabilizer.

Princess Auto has 350 ml bottles on sale - much less expensive than CT/PartsSource/Amazon/HD/Lowes etc.

Screen Shot 10-16-21 at 10.13 AM.PNG
+1

Was waiting for this for my Miata and snowblower /lawnmower too!
Dec 31, 2011
235 posts
281 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I have a Gas scooter and gummed up the carb once while storing it with fuel. I'm not mechanically handy to drain tanks so my friend who is a mechanic said you can store it all winter with fuel so long as it's ethanol free. I've never winterized my small engines in years following his advise and so far no more gumming of engines. Sometimes I'll do that with the stabilizer. Draining the tank as you mentioned would be far more effective I'm sure

I guess I could drive it until 0 fuel remains and let it just die out, same end result. (Oops someone above just said that won't drain the carb of fuel)
Jun 15, 2018
33 posts
22 upvotes
I know I'm gonna start an argument, but... ;-)
I've lived on a rural property for 20 years and have about 10 small engines. I've never used fuel stabilizer and never had a problem.
I had a push mower from when I lived in the city. Now this was a bullet-proof, reliable mower. This mower is the reason they tell you to disconnect the spark plug when servicing the blade, cuz it'll start :-0. It sat for about 12 years (no use for it in the country). Someone I knew needed a mower, so I put a little gas in it and went to start it. I'd like to say it started on the first pull. Rather it started on the first HALF-PULL! BTW - when I bought it new, as a true RFd'er, I had selected the cheapest no-name mower I could find.

I have a 2-cycle weed whacker. Again, in the country it gets used very little (not like I'm manicuring a city lot). I finally used-up the 5l of gas/oil mix that I mixed about 6 years ago.

Also, as a cheapo, I've purchased used motorized items (tillers etc). I get 'em cheap cuz they don't run. I clean out the carb and fuel system and get them back running. I dunno what the previous owners are doing to get them gunked-up...maybe using fuel stabilizer ;-)

Anyway, my experience.