Expired Hot Deals

Princess Auto

Fuel Stabilizer 43% Off (Regular Price $6.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2022 11:16 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6879 posts
4292 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Fuel Stabilizer 43% Off (Regular Price $6.99)

It's that time of year again - small engine lawn and garden appliances and Summer cars get prepped for Winter storage.

Princess Auto has fuel stabilizer on sale for $3.99 regular price $6.99

I used this brand last Autumn and it was fine (Winter stored my 2018 Miata, lawnmower, and a couple of snow blowers over the Summer).

I recommend using premium gas along with the Stabilizer. (Costco/Husky premium has no ethanol)

Screen Shot 09-27-22 at 07.42 AM.PNG
36 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2532 posts
723 upvotes
Interesting, I never knew such thing is required. I had my lawn mower for over 19 years and never use anything for it. up to now, it is still working flawlessly.
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1597 posts
2255 upvotes
Rooster wrote: Interesting, I never knew such thing is required. I had my lawn mower for over 19 years and never use anything for it. up to now, it is still working flawlessly.
X2. I have a 5 year old canadian tire lawnmower that I just store in the shed with regular fuel in it. Never had any issues. Started on the very first crank this spring.
Feb 9, 2017
221 posts
294 upvotes
It's interesting to hear that some people never have any issue with their machines without using fuel stabiliser. I also hear from people who have had issues with their machines even when they use fuel stabiliser. Would love to hear the opinion of a small engine mechanic on this subject.

As for myself, I have been using the stuff in both my snow blower and my lawn mower. No issue at all for 20+ years now. I also put 0w30 oil into these engines to make starting easier.
Dec 2, 2003
954 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Craftsman lawnmower (Briggs engine) no maintenance and used to mow 230x73 lot bi-weekly for 22 years no maintenance still going strong and actually starts better than my powersmart and yard works mowers which are brand new. Actually powersmart brand new and not used for a couple years won’t start never had gas or oil in it.

Yard works (power more engine) after a couple weeks had a tougher time started needed multiple pulls whereas craftsman started on first pull still!

Toro 720E used a few times every season no maintenance. Needed carb cleaning after 8 years now starts flawless.

Bought powersmart because of good deal and never used and won’t get to use can’t figure how to fix. Yard works got recently on deal $100 21” deck thinking craftsman broke when really oil was low so face palm. Lol but no maintenance so far hassle free!
Last edited by Elusive on Sep 27th, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6879 posts
4292 upvotes
dodgybackhand wrote: It's interesting to hear that some people never have any issue with their machines without using fuel stabiliser. I also hear from people who have had issues with their machines even when they use fuel stabiliser. Would love to hear the opinion of a small engine mechanic on this subject.

As for myself, I have been using the stuff in both my snow blower and my lawn mower. No issue at all for 20+ years now. I also put 0w30 oil into these engines to make starting easier.
My son taught himself small engine repair during the COVID pandemic to fill some spare time while we were under lockdown (he's a University of Waterloo Computer Engineering Grad & works from home) .
He made some pretty good money picking up free lawnmowers and snow blowers that "won't start", cleaning the carburetor & changing the oil and posting them on FBM and Kijiji.
Most of them wouldn't start simply because the owner left stale gas in them which gummed up the carb.
Fuel stabilizer significantly slows down the process of fuel deterioration.
Premium "No Ethanol" fuel slows down the process of fuel deterioration even further.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en ... atton.html
Oct 2, 2008
228 posts
89 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote: (Costco/Husky premium has no ethanol)
Based on my last review both of these gas stations use ethanol. The only one I know of that doesn't is Shell premium. I am not 100% sure but Esso also used to have no ethanol in its premium as well this might have changed. Husky if I Remeber correctly had the highest octane rating and has always had ethanol. I believe they use ethanol to boost the octane.

Costco gas is unpredictable. They get their gas from a number of producers so sometimes they have ethanol and some times they don't but it would be hard to predict.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7840 posts
4638 upvotes
West GTEH!
plymouthhater wrote: My son taught himself small engine repair during the COVID pandemic to fill some spare time while we were under lockdown (he's a Computer Engineering Grad & works from home) .
He made some pretty good money picking up free lawnmowers and snow blowers that "won't start", cleaning the carburetor & changing the oil and posting them on FBM and Kijiji.
Most of them wouldn't start simply because the owner left stale gas in them which gummed up the carb.
Fuel stabilizer significantly slows down the process of fuel deterioration.
Premium "No Ethanol" fuel slows down the process of fuel deterioration even further.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en ... atton.html
Your Son is an Entrepreneur. Making $$$ off of other peoples discarded machines. Good for him.

I've used Seafoam in my Toro gas snowblower the past 6 years and it always started with no issues. Of course I drain the gas at the end of the winter season.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7840 posts
4638 upvotes
West GTEH!
Prelude38 wrote: Based on my last review both of these gas stations use ethanol. The only one I know of that doesn't is Shell premium. I am not 100% sure but Esso also used to have no ethanol in its premium as well this might have changed. Husky if I Remeber correctly had the highest octane rating and has always had ethanol. I believe they use ethanol to boost the octane.

Costco gas is unpredictable. They get their gas from a number of producers so sometimes they have ethanol and some times they don't but it would be hard to predict.
I always use Costco premium gas in my snowblower and have not had any issues.
😎
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6879 posts
4292 upvotes
Prelude38 wrote: Based on my last review both of these gas stations use ethanol. The only one I know of that doesn't is Shell premium. I am not 100% sure but Esso also used to have no ethanol in its premium as well this might have changed. Husky if I Remeber correctly had the highest octane rating and has always had ethanol. I believe they use ethanol to boost the octane.

The Costco I visit in Woodbridge ON has the 10% Ethanol in Regular Grade sticker on the pump but no mention of Ethanol in the Premium Grade.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6879 posts
4292 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Your Son is an Entrepreneur. Making $$$ off of other peoples discarded machines. Good for him.

I've used Seafoam in my Toro gas snowblower the past 6 years and it always started with no issues. Of course I drain the gas at the end of the winter season.
He's the most popular resident on the street - there was a steady procession of neighbors coming to the door over the Summer with lawnmower and pressure washer assistance requests.
To digress slightly - we picked up a Homelite 2700 PSI pressure washer with a Honda clone Chinese engine at the side of the road in our subdivision - he cleaned the carb and had it running in less than 30 minutes. (For the really dirty carbs, he bought himself an ultrasonic cleaner - 5 cents worth of Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water and a half an hour = immaculate carb).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7840 posts
4638 upvotes
West GTEH!
plymouthhater wrote: He's the most popular resident on the street - there was a steady procession of neighbors coming to the door over the Summer with lawnmower and pressure washer assistance requests.
To digress slightly - we picked up a Homelite 2700 PSI pressure washer with a Honda clone Chinese engine at the side of the road in our subdivision - he cleaned the carb and had it running in less than 30 minutes. (For the really dirty carbs, he bought himself an ultrasonic cleaner - 5 cents worth of Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water and a half an hour = immaculate carb).
So this is a side-hustle he does? Very nice. Hopefully he's charging a reasonable rate for his services.

I wish you were located in the GTA. I think 1 time you mentioned you were in Eastern Canada?
😎
Dec 30, 2013
372 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
dodgybackhand wrote: It's interesting to hear that some people never have any issue with their machines without using fuel stabiliser. I also hear from people who have had issues with their machines even when they use fuel stabiliser. Would love to hear the opinion of a small engine mechanic on this subject.

Use ethanol free gas and it won't gum up the carbs like gas with ethanol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6879 posts
4292 upvotes
Webhead wrote: So this is a side-hustle he does? Very nice. Hopefully he's charging a reasonable rate for his services.

I wish you were located in the GTA. I think 1 time you mentioned you were in Eastern Canada?
Richmond Hill ON.

He's cut down on his "hobby" considerably after one customer bought a Tecumseh engine equipped snow blower (it was a beauty - remote control chute, 10 HP engine) - the dope checked to see the oil was clean before he bought it and didn't tighten the dipstick. The guy called all upset a few hours later that the "Engine was racing"...turns out he was blowing snow on a hilly driveway, the oil blew out the dipstick area and the idiot blew the engine and demanded a refund.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2014
1344 posts
485 upvotes
Ottawa
plymouthhater wrote: Richmond Hill ON.

He's cut down on his "hobby" considerably after one customer bought a Tecumseh engine equipped snow blower (it was a beauty - remote control chute, 10 HP engine) - the dope checked to see the oil was clean before he bought it and didn't tighten the dipstick. The guy called all upset a few hours later that the "Engine was racing"...turns out he was blowing snow on a hilly driveway, the oil blew out the dipstick area and the idiot blew the engine and demanded a refund.
This is why I would always suggest selling on online marketplaces anonymously, with no guarantees, and not at my own property. You never know who will do what, when it's their own mistake that causes it. The headache of these types of people just isn't worth it sometimes. Confused Face Sorry to hear, but props to your Son for the hard work and effort put into learning!
May 8, 2016
757 posts
1738 upvotes
I have my Yard works lawn mower (Honda engine) for about four years. Yes. I use gas stabilizer. I didn’t burn out gas in one or two falls and it really hard to start now. Yes. I did cartridge cleaning multiple times. My lawn mower works perfectly right after cleaning but not so afterwards. Any suggestions?
Last edited by springrain on Sep 27th, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7840 posts
4638 upvotes
West GTEH!
plymouthhater wrote: Richmond Hill ON.

What a F***** idiot, the customer. Your Son should've told him it's not his problem. He only cleans the Carb and other parts of the engine.

Anyways, I'll DM you if your Son is still doing this next year, Carb cleaning. And his rate is reasonable. Richmond Hill isn't close or very far for me. I'd rather do business locally rather than pay the "small engine" shops their Hourly rate.
😎