• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 12:47 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2011
226 posts
186 upvotes
Cambridge, ON

[Princess Auto] Hook-style Strut Spring Compressor - $19.99

PA has some spring compressors on sale for anyone looking to swap auto springs before winter. They also have square-head style on sale too for $39.99
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
33 replies
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
I know it's a cheap option and saves money having to do it at a shop, but those compressors just outright scare me. One slip, or one fatigue crack, and you have a massive spring flying at you, and the end results could be very, very bad... I am a huge DIYer but I would never recommend these... just go on youtube. Here's one from a rather famous mechanic on youtube

Go to 2:50...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1063 posts
682 upvotes
I have to agree with the above poster. I attempted to do this on my F150 and quickly realized I need a wall mount unit. Even the mechanic at work refused to do it since he only had this style if tool. Back when I did the ones on my Intrepid I used two sets per spring to make things a little safer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9061 posts
2654 upvotes
London
I could swear I used a borrow a tool program to get a spring compressor in the past.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4800 posts
2191 upvotes
Ottawa
I've used the square head style safely and effectively several times. There are jobs I wouldn't tackle with them though.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12518 posts
21035 upvotes
Since this is something very few people do themselves , I just went for full strut assemblies on wife’s Civic . Yes , more expensive but so much faster and safer . Just avoid cheap ones .
Nov 28, 2010
315 posts
146 upvotes
I usually rent compressor spring tool at Canadian Tire for free...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
Mudstrap wrote: I usually rent compressor spring tool at Canadian Tire for free...
And it's usually the same type as this or similar. Haven't seen anyone loaning a wall mounted spring compressor.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
paintballdude05 wrote: I have to agree with the above poster. I attempted to do this on my F150 and quickly realized I need a wall mount unit. Even the mechanic at work refused to do it since he only had this style if tool. Back when I did the ones on my Intrepid I used two sets per spring to make things a little safer.
I was a wimp and paid my mechanic to lower my Intrepid.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14460 posts
3479 upvotes
Mind explain what is this for and why does car need it
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
paintballdude05 wrote: I have to agree with the above poster. I attempted to do this on my F150 and quickly realized I need a wall mount unit. Even the mechanic at work refused to do it since he only had this style if tool. Back when I did the ones on my Intrepid I used two sets per spring to make things a little safer.
Did the springs on my Ram1500 a few times , used 3 compressors per spring spaced as evenly as possible and had to reposition them a couple of times bcs they slant as they compress the spring putting more stress on one side than the other and bend the threaded bar.
Exactly what the guy in the vid posted above failed to notice or care about, in addition to using a single hook compressor type. I've had the double hook type fail and the other hook saved the day.
Granted these were Honduh springs he was working on and I would have just used my armpit to compress them while taking the strut out...
While it's nice to have someone with a garage do it for you, sometimes you have no choice and not being a tool while using a tool goes a long way in keeping yourself alive and unharmed. I would also point out that greasing the compressor threads to reduce friction and galling is also a very good idea, in addition to not working on it at chest and face height.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
kiasu wrote: Mind explain what is this for and why does car need it
Watch the video. Your car doesn't need it. The mechanic/you working on your vehicles suspension needs it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
Rob_EV wrote: I was a wimp and paid my mechanic to lower my Intrepid.
A wimp driving an intrepid cancel each other out, so it's like nothing going down the road...unless it was a police interceptor package (which is more than nothing) or it had a 2.7(that would be less then nothing).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6843 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
Not included - Pontiac Sunfire with underglow and an idiot using these to slam it.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1245 posts
1049 upvotes
I have the style with the cast end blocks. They work okay but I won't use them on long or heavy springs. There's also a strap style of compressor available. I make sure the threads are lubed so there's no binding.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15982 posts
4822 upvotes
London
kiasu wrote: Mind explain what is this for and why does car need it
Used to replace the Macpherson strut in most cars. The spring and strut are a single assembly with the strut mounted inside the spring. The upper strut mount holds the top part of the spring and the big nut on top keeps everything together.

To replace the strut, the spring needs to be compressed release the pressure from the big nut on top. Then the strut mount and spring can be removed and the strut replaced. Since the spring is intended to carry the weight of the car, it takes a lot of force to compress, even slightly. If that stored energy is released suddenly, it can do major damage

Injury :
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dkglobal_videos/1499883523.mp4
Jul 11, 2017
575 posts
671 upvotes
Just buy the complete strut assembly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
dilligafeh wrote: A wimp driving an intrepid cancel each other out, so it's like nothing going down the road...unless it was a police interceptor package (which is more than nothing) or it had a 2.7(that would be less then nothing).
Intrepid R/T 3.5HO.......still have it. The Police Interceptor package Intrepids are slower and don't handle as well ;) Can't wait to get a set of historic license plates for it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
Rob_EV wrote: Intrepid R/T 3.5HO.......still have it. The Police Interceptor package Intrepids are slower and don't handle as well ;) Can't wait to get a set of historic license plates for it.
That's another 10 years at least...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
dilligafeh wrote: That's another 10 years at least...
DAMNIT, 30 years old........another 10 years (was hoping for 25 years old).