Expired Hot Deals

[Princess Auto] Hook-style Strut Spring Compressor - $19.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 12:47 pm
Apr 8, 2010
778 posts
430 upvotes
toronto
these things scare the begebus out of me. I've restored cars and have no issues working on any part of a car but struts, i'll leave it to the pros.

I've even taken the struts off and took them to a garage to replace the bearing for me and watching the mechanic use one of these gets my stomach in knots. even watching that video i had to turn away
Feb 20, 2011
927 posts
310 upvotes
Used these many times. Of course point the spring strategically when it’s compressed (I.e not towards you). I do add small “ubolts” to prevent the hook part of the compressing tool from sliding down on the spring as an extra safety.
Aug 11, 2014
396 posts
270 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Used to replace the Macpherson strut in most cars. The spring and strut are a single assembly with the strut mounted inside the spring. The upper strut mount holds the top part of the spring and the big nut on top keeps everything together.

To replace the strut, the spring needs to be compressed release the pressure from the big nut on top. Then the strut mount and spring can be removed and the strut replaced. Since the spring is intended to carry the weight of the car, it takes a lot of force to compress, even slightly. If that stored energy is released suddenly, it can do major damage

Injury :
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dkglobal_videos/1499883523.mp4
Lol reminds me of the time my mechanically-experienced friend took a look at my vehicle and told me someone "stole my springs!" since he couldn't see them on the struts.

Actually that vehicle had a modified MacPherson strut system where the springs are positioned between the lower control arm and vehicle frame, not attached to the struts.
Screenshot_20200929-140029.jpg
Dec 1, 2009
211 posts
149 upvotes
In the dealership I work in, no mechanic uses the wall mounted spring compressor. The 6 mechanics I work with uses this type of spring compressor when changing struts, springs etc.
Mar 7, 2006
75 posts
15 upvotes
Hi everyone. What brand of full strut assembly would you recommend. I installed Monroes a few years ago and was not impressed. Have to replace the rears now.

Thanks!
Nov 23, 2007
377 posts
61 upvotes
liplip wrote: In the dealership I work in, no mechanic uses the wall mounted spring compressor. The 6 mechanics I work with uses this type of spring compressor when changing struts, springs etc.
We're the opposite. We only use the floor model. Though I do have a set of spring compressors similar to this and must have put about 200+ sets through them over the years. Even had to weld a new nut on one after the end gave out.

I wouldn't recommend the average diy'er use one of these though. Saving yourself 60 bucks isnt worth the risk of crushing your fingers, knocking your teeth out or worse.

If you want, remove the strut and take it to a professional and have them change the bearing, spring, strut, etc. For you.
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
Phikshin wrote: We're the opposite. We only use the floor model. Though I do have a set of spring compressors similar to this and must have put about 200+ sets through them over the years. Even had to weld a new nut on one after the end gave out.

I wouldn't recommend the average diy'er use one of these though. Saving yourself 60 bucks isnt worth the risk of crushing your fingers, knocking your teeth out or worse.

If you want, remove the strut and take it to a professional and have them change the bearing, spring, strut, etc. For you.
And this is exactly what I did. Took out all 4 corners, and had an old work colleague do all 4 springs for 50 bucks... I'll gladly pay 50 bucks any day, not like i'm changing suspensions every 6 months.
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
liplip wrote: In the dealership I work in, no mechanic uses the wall mounted spring compressor. The 6 mechanics I work with uses this type of spring compressor when changing struts, springs etc.
Why not? If it's there, isn't it safer to use the wall mounted compressor?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
cb8888 wrote: Why not? If it's there, isn't it safer to use the wall mounted compressor?
Probably save time by not taking the whole assembly out and these can be used in tight areas.
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
I know techs are all about time because they're flat rate, but how much total time can you save on 4 shocks? Genuinely curious. I can't see it being more then half hour, max 1 hour. I could understand if you're doing shocks all day, then 0.5 or 1.0 adds up quickly, but in my time at the dealer over a few years, I can't recall shocks being replaced once... if I were a tech, i'd be using the proper wall mount compressor, I just don't see the risk vs reward to make a little bit of extra cash, but of course to each his own
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
adysworld31 wrote: Hi everyone. What brand of full strut assembly would you recommend. I installed Monroes a few years ago and was not impressed. Have to replace the rears now.

Thanks!
Bilsteins, Tokicos are a couple of good brands but it depends on application. Monroe's are crap. Not worth the time to install them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5076 upvotes
ON
cb8888 wrote: I know techs are all about time because they're flat rate, but how much total time can you save on 4 shocks? Genuinely curious. I can't see it being more then half hour, max 1 hour. I could understand if you're doing shocks all day, then 0.5 or 1.0 adds up quickly, but in my time at the dealer over a few years, I can't recall shocks being replaced once... if I were a tech, i'd be using the proper wall mount compressor, I just don't see the risk vs reward to make a little bit of extra cash, but of course to each his own
If you're working on an older vehicle that's seen a few Ontario winters it could be quite substantial considering time to deal with seized/rusted fasteners.

And that's why my vehicle has not been at the dealership since it left the lot at purchase. Not all failed shocks leak(valves could fail internally) and with our roads and potholes they're usually pretty much done in 3-4 yrs or less depending on driving habits. Most folks won't know what to feel for so they keep driving with worn out shocks and never think to have them checked out.
Mar 7, 2006
75 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks!
dilligafeh wrote: Bilsteins, Tokicos are a couple of good brands but it depends on application. Monroe's are crap. Not worth the time to install them.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1198 posts
1325 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
paintballdude05 wrote: I have to agree with the above poster. I attempted to do this on my F150 and quickly realized I need a wall mount unit. Even the mechanic at work refused to do it since he only had this style if tool. Back when I did the ones on my Intrepid I used two sets per spring to make things a little safer.
Yup it is so scary. It seems better to replace the entire assembly with the common Monroe Complete Assembly. While they aren't as of high quality, you get a bunch of brand new rubber pieces and bushing, etc so it kinda balances out. I myself am too scared to compress it myself even though the tools are free to rent.

Good price nonetheless.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!