Expired Hot Deals

[Princess Auto] HOT!!! Impact Wrench 24V Cordless with Battery - $39.94!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2019 9:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 17, 2007
228 posts
82 upvotes

[Princess Auto] HOT!!! Impact Wrench 24V Cordless with Battery - $39.94!

I think this is probably the cheapest I’ve ever seen for a cordless impact wrench that’s 1/2” with a battery and charger!!! It’s advertised for $59.99 but when you ring it up it shows up as $39.94 in store!! Mind you it’s some no-name brand princess auto quality but for $40 I can’t complain!!!

I got it at Princess Auto Coquitlam there were about 8 left this morning.
Images
  • 05A10D7A-978C-4AF7-9E6E-F69EC32E16B6.jpeg
28 replies
Oct 25, 2009
681 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary
Good thing Princess auto lets you return anything, that thing WILL NOT last
Oct 13, 2003
47 posts
17 upvotes
Brampton
It's also Ni-Cad. Won't last.
Li-ion should be minimum nowadays.
Aug 22, 2019
12 posts
6 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: 240lbft is pretty useless for an impact wrench
Guess it depends on application? This is more than double of what normal torque for lug nuts are. Granted I don't trust the 240lbft rating, I'd probably say it's 200. Will test and find out.
Aug 22, 2019
12 posts
6 upvotes
butlermere wrote: It's also Ni-Cad. Won't last.
Ni-Cad is more prone to memory effects so best to drain it completely before recharging unlike Li-Ion. No hopes that this would last since it's $40. If I have to charge it full before each use I'm fine with that. My use is purely for seasonal tire changes.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2250 posts
2149 upvotes
Montreal
Instead of wasting $40, I would spend a good $150-$200 on a good tool/battery or get a corded one that sell also for $40... This is not money well spent IMHO. If it work for you, good, but the reality is, this item was created and will be send to the landfill very quickly. In my book, this is not the definition of saving money.
Last edited by SquadG on Dec 20th, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1396 posts
845 upvotes
Markham
PhantomLamb wrote: Guess it depends on application? This is more than double of what normal torque for lug nuts are. Granted I don't trust the 240lbft rating, I'd probably say it's 200. Will test and find out.
To put things in perspective, one that is advertised for 1400 max lbft and costs $150 when on sale has enough juice (not guaranteed) to loosen a lug nuts torqued at 95lb. So you may think 240 is plenty but unfortunately the math does not work that way. If your goal is to use to loosen a lug nuts ONCE its loosen by a torque bar by hand, then yes it will do the work. If you think it will loosen a lug nuts from get go, you will be disappointed.
You can try and report back.
Dec 27, 2007
488 posts
229 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: To put things in perspective, one that is advertised for 1400 max lbft and costs $150 when on sale has enough juice (not guaranteed) to loosen a lug nuts torqued at 95lb. So you may think 240 is plenty but unfortunately the math does not work that way. If your goal is to use to loosen a lug nuts ONCE its loosen by a torque bar by hand, then yes it will do the work. If you think it will loosen a lug nuts from get go, you will be disappointed.
Is the breakaway rating the one one needs to look for to determine if it will loose the lug nuts without prior assistance?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1396 posts
845 upvotes
Markham
kkostadinof wrote: Is the breakaway rating the one one needs to look for to determine if it will loose the lug nuts without prior assistance?
Yes but also keep in mind in real life situation nuts may be stuck due to rust or other reasons and will require a lot more than the said torque to loosen initially. And max torque rating is based on when the battery is at 100%.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27383 posts
7690 upvotes
PhantomLamb wrote: Guess it depends on application? This is more than double of what normal torque for lug nuts are. Granted I don't trust the 240lbft rating, I'd probably say it's 200. Will test and find out.
LOL 200. More like 80...if you're lucky.
Jun 11, 2015
404 posts
403 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
savemoresaveoften wrote: 240lbft is pretty useless for an impact wrench
savemoresaveoften wrote: To put things in perspective, one that is advertised for 1400 max lbft and costs $150 when on sale has enough juice (not guaranteed) to loosen a lug nuts torqued at 95lb. So you may think 240 is plenty but unfortunately the math does not work that way. If your goal is to use to loosen a lug nuts ONCE its loosen by a torque bar by hand, then yes it will do the work. If you think it will loosen a lug nuts from get go, you will be disappointed.
I'm pretty sure savemoresaveoften is confusing inch lb and foot lb. A 1400 ft lb impact wrench does not cost $150 and looks like... Image

A 1400 inlb (115 ftlb) impact wrench does cost $150 and looks like this Image

If this is properly rated, it will have no problem with most lug nuts. Even 150 ftlb is fine for most cars (although more is better).

With that said, I wouldn't suggest buying it due to the battery.
Jan 26, 2011
509 posts
256 upvotes
Gatineau
I wouldn't waste my time with that tool, but if it is for a one-time use why not. If anyone is interested in an impact wrench lithium batteries and brushless motors are pretty much the minimum requirements these days. Brushless motors produce more torque and very little heat, and thus need less power (or will have more power for the same energy use), however it won't be $40.

A breaker bar is only $15 and will never let you down, if you're willing to consider that.
Jan 4, 2013
526 posts
177 upvotes
butlermere wrote: It's also Ni-Cad. Won't last.
They must be burning through the tail end of NiCad batteries at this point lol. Its been so outdated for ages.