• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2019 11:55 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB

[Princess Auto] Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 Headlight Projector - $19.99

Online the brand isn't listed but they are actually Morimoto branded mini H1 7.0 projectors. Price is EACH, so you need to buy 2 to make a complete set. They also do NOT come with shrouds or bulbs/ballasts.

Specs can be found online at TheRetrofitSource.

I can confirm I found stock in store at the Edmonton South location and I read some others finding them in Calgary - or just buy them online and pay the shipping. They come in a black with blue strip box with Morimoto labelling on everything (see picture for example of exactly how the boxes appear). The box can be hard to spot. I found them near the electronics section NOT with the trailer/fog light lighting in my particular store. My store had 5 left on the shelf after I purchased my set.
Images
  • Morimoto_Mini_H1_7.0_Bi-xenon_Projectors_7_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Last edited by Cryton on Mar 1st, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
110 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1592 posts
969 upvotes
Thanks! Good find.

But you should add "headlight projector" in title.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB
Chewfam wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 4:16 pm
Thanks! Good find.

But you should add "headlight projector" in title.
Thanks for the tip. Updated the title to be less confusing for those not aware what these are.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13544 posts
2996 upvotes
London
In case people don’t know, these are used to quickly and properly retrofit a halogen reflector headlight to convert it to HID bulbs

1. Remove the entire headlight housing from the car
2. Heat in an oven to separate the plastic lens from the body
3. Install the projector where the halogen bulb used to sit
4. Tighten down the shaft of the projector with the nut
5. Reinstall the plastic lens
6. Done

Only an afternoon is needed now. Before, it used to take an entire weekend using the old school methods and you had to know what you were doing
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6060 posts
1220 upvotes
good for those who DIY retrofitted...i wonder how is the cuttoff lines , someone post actual full pics if u ever get this done, its past my xpertise!
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13544 posts
2996 upvotes
London
Do you guys think these might be clones/ copies?

The box doesn’t look the same between the op and the ones from Winnipeg
[OP]
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB
l69norm wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 5:44 pm
Do you guys think these might be clones/ copies?

The box doesn’t look the same between the op and the ones from Winnipeg
The boxes are an older style, which more closely match the older Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 boxes. They changed the design on later production runs. That means they are likely NOS of an earlier run (nothing mechanically was changed on later runs, unlike the 6.0 which did have a 6.1 revision).

EDIT: Here's a link to another Authorized dealer showing this exact box on their page.

The quality on these is very nice. Laser engraved Morimoto on the reflector bowls, Morimoto on all bags and all. I can say for certain that these never went through TheRetrofitSource (the manufacturer/distributor, but they are all made/assembled in China though) since there 2 things missing - the hologram sticker and their checkmark for LHD or RHD on the box - both things they add after they QA/QC them when they arrive at their warehouse.
May 26, 2006
23 posts
11 upvotes
Thank you OP. North Edmonton PA shows 28 in-store. They are at an end cap buy the surplus section, facing the front of store.
Jul 22, 2015
222 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So are these just the Projector or the whole light? What happens if these take a dump a year later? do you have to change the whole assembly again?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4565 posts
1354 upvotes
Canuckland
Keep in mind you’d still need to buy the housing for it
[OP]
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB
Superjester wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 7:27 pm
So are these just the Projector or the whole light? What happens if these take a dump a year later? do you have to change the whole assembly again?
These are the projector only. Used for retrofitting your stock or aftermarket housings with a projector. Look online for videos or forums posts from the hundreds of others who have retrofitted these into various vehicles. You will also still require an H1 HID kit to run these properly (they are not designed for halogen or LED bulbs).

These are fairly robust. The only piece that could "take a dump" is the solenoid, which means you would lose the bixenon function (ie- low beam only). The solenoid aren't known to fail very often. You would likely still have your halogen hi beam anyways since the majority of cars use separate reflectors/bulbs for hi and lo beams. Or I suppose if you don't seal your headlights back up properly and a bunch of water got in, the reflectors could possibly rust too. For this price, I would suggest grabbing a spare for parts if it's a concern.
Feb 28, 2016
527 posts
179 upvotes
Great find OP! I still have a set kicking around in storage to do my F150, but I'll still pickup an extra set! I had an earlier version of the H1 projector in my last F150 and loved them.
Mar 12, 2006
634 posts
41 upvotes
Smithers
I got an ol 1999 pathfinder.

Looked up some videos and man, I feel like an idiot. I'll give it a try though. So you buy these Headlight projectors and swap them for the OEM's? from the looks of a couple youtube videos

Would love these, or I might cop out and go the lightbar route.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1592 posts
969 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 5:16 pm
In case people don’t know, these are used to quickly and properly retrofit a halogen reflector headlight to convert it to HID bulbs

1. Remove the entire headlight housing from the car
2. Heat in an oven to separate the plastic lens from the body
3. Install the projector where the halogen bulb used to sit
4. Tighten down the shaft of the projector with the nut
5. Reinstall the plastic lens
6. Done

Only an afternoon is needed now. Before, it used to take an entire weekend using the old school methods and you had to know what you were doing
I'm pretty sure it's not a direct fit for all halogen bulb types. Only a couple certain types require no modification/cutting.
May be a little misleading on how simple it is.