• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 5:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 5, 2008
71 posts
22 upvotes
St Catharines

[Princess Auto] Mr. Heater Big Maxx 80,000 btu Heater $479.97

Princess auto has the Mr. Heater Big Maxx heaters marked down. It's currently $200 cheaper then their last sale price .

80,000 BTU Natural Gas Unit Heater with LP Conversion Kit and Thermostat
SKU: 8547085
Model : F260580

Vertical and horizontal vent kits are also on sale

4 in. Vertical Vent Kit
SKU: 8164899
Price $89.97

4 in. Stainless-Steel Horizontal Vent Kit
SKU: 8459042
Price $281.97
28 replies
Jun 16, 2015
162 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Great heaters for garage. Installed the 50k unit few months back and keeps garage nice and warm.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1868 posts
1130 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for posting, didn't know princess auto got these. Don't need one this year, hoping for a similar deal next year.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2729 posts
983 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote: Thanks for posting, didn't know princess auto got these. Don't need one this year, hoping for a similar deal next year.
They go on sale every year at this time, so if you time it well, you’ll catch the sale!

The only thing being that if you think you’ll need one for next year (winter 2020/2021), then you’re best to pick it up now since it doesn’t always go on sale at the beginning of the season (some years it does, some years it doesn’t) and it’s not usually as big of a discount.
Oct 17, 2010
822 posts
421 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone know if they ever have deals on the radiant heaters?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2729 posts
983 upvotes
8008135 wrote: Anyone know if they ever have deals on the radiant heaters?
Yeah they usually do at around the same time as well, so keep an eye out.

I’m pretty sure that they went on sale at the beginning of this winter season as well (at least the electrify ones did, both 110v and 220v), as I was looking for options for my shed. I ended up getting a small one instead of a wall mounted one like I originally considered.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2094 posts
311 upvotes
How much does it typically costs to run a gas line out to a detached garage 25 feet away? Aside from trenching, can it be done alongside a fence above ground?
Nov 18, 2014
558 posts
519 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just be aware these are NOT CSA approved and should/will fail inspection when you pull a permit from your municipality...
[OP]
Feb 5, 2008
71 posts
22 upvotes
St Catharines
rrabbit10 wrote: Just be aware these are NOT CSA approved and should/will fail inspection when you pull a permit from your municipality...

Are you sure about that... this is right from the manual stating they are csa international certified
20200211_063408.jpg
Nov 18, 2014
558 posts
519 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Fireball027 wrote: Are you sure about that... this is right from the manual stating they are csa international certified

20200211_063408.jpg.
There are no CSA plates on them and the city inspectors have been failing them here in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4852 posts
257 upvotes
man, looking for a reason to buy this thing ... dang rfd ...
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Aug 25, 2011
107 posts
93 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I have the 50k model in my garage - installed by a gas fitter. Great deal - but don't buy the exhaust kit. I ended up taking it back because the gas fitter couldn't use many of the parts and needed others. He explained that the installs are very specific - and he charged me less for the parts than the princess auto kit.
And now I am going to climb up and look for that csa sticker.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1868 posts
1130 upvotes
Kitchener
407user wrote: I have the 50k model in my garage - installed by a gas fitter. Great deal - but don't buy the exhaust kit. I ended up taking it back because the gas fitter couldn't use many of the parts and needed others. He explained that the installs are very specific - and he charged me less for the parts than the princess auto kit.
And now I am going to climb up and look for that csa sticker.
Thanks please let us know - also did you get it inspected? do you need to?
Feb 5, 2019
174 posts
153 upvotes
I'm contemplating whether to have something like this installed vs a 4500watt electric heater. The detached garage will only have the ceiling insulated. Any suggestions?
Aug 25, 2011
107 posts
93 upvotes
BURLINGTON
keyser-soze wrote: Thanks please let us know - also did you get it inspected? do you need to?
No sticker! - I didn't take the unit apart to see if there was one on the inside. I did not get it inspected, but I did have it installed by a licensed gas fitter who put a tag on the unit.
Jul 21, 2013
763 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
rrabbit10 wrote: There are no CSA plates on them and the city inspectors have been failing them here in Calgary.
Lol I had one inspected about 8 months ago, in Calgary, was fine. But then again, he didn't care 1 bit about the heater, just about the gas work (which I trenched through the yard).

Tip: don't buy the pipe kits, hang it and measure out what you exactly need and get it from a good plumbing shop. Remember, horizontal needs to be class 3, which is $$$.
Jan 8, 2019
22 posts
7 upvotes
Regina, SK
Guys that are considering putting this in a standard two car attached garages - just note 80K BTU is very large. We put in 30K/45K typically for 2 and 3 car garages. If you plan on leaving your garage set to a constant temp with a garage heater, consider getting it sized properly.
Aug 25, 2011
107 posts
93 upvotes
BURLINGTON
GTArenovate wrote: I'm contemplating whether to have something like this installed vs a 4500watt electric heater. The detached garage will only have the ceiling insulated. Any suggestions?
You really have to balance the expenses - use a spreadsheet. When I did my calcs, two years ago electricity cost about 8x as much compared to gas, per btu. However, the capital costs are significant. The gas fitter charged me $900 + parts and I already had a gas line in the garage with an available nipple and valve.
Also - the unit must be installed so the bottom is at least 8' above the floor - so I had to open up the rafter space - moving joists and reinforcing the remaining joists and rafters - as I only had 8' below the joists. Also - as part of the install I sistered in 2x6 rafters beside the existing 2x4 rafters for strength and for insulation space. Since, I have insulated the walls as well. However, it was worth it. Using a 30 amp heater cost so much that didn't want to use the garage in the winter and now I use it several times a week. I hope your project goes well.
Jul 27, 2015
111 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How much does it cost to install by a gas fitter?