• Mar 8th, 2021 2:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2019
586 posts
1157 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant $11.99

Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant

$11.99

Not see this price for long time now. We buy many for work.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/copper- ... 0008652802

97 replies
Sep 25, 2009
565 posts
429 upvotes
this is good stuff for preventing winter rims getting stuck on the hub
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14200 posts
7967 upvotes
Southern Ontario
What applications use copperAS?
Apr 24, 2015
22 posts
30 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
AncasterRFD wrote: What applications use copperAS?
If you mean as opposed to nickel anti-seize, then none that I know of specifically.

Generally nickel anti-seize is the way to go due to some superior qualities like temperature range.

However, copper anti-seize is good enough in almost all scenarios and is usually a bit cheaper.

In general, anti-seize is good for pretty much any application where there will be relatively static metal-on-metal contact, such as a nut and bolt, especially when one or both of those metals are corrosive. It prevents them from rust-welding together and also acts as a lubricant.
Last edited by Twenty44 on Mar 1st, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2428 posts
1350 upvotes
Any hub-centric cars should be using this. If you don't have fun changing your tires come spring.
Dec 17, 2019
166 posts
97 upvotes
What's the difference between Copper and silver grade?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4113 posts
158 upvotes
Tahsis
Gommes wrote: What's the difference between Copper and silver grade?
Not much, silver grade has no silver in it, and is for fine thread applications I think. Nickel grade is a bit more expensive and is better than either silver or copper in certain applications. For the average person I’d just buy the nickel and probably use the one bottle for your whole life. However a bottle of copper or silver are a heap better than nothing and also probably fine for whatever an average person would use them for. I think I have a bottle of copper and nickel.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2020 posts
2581 upvotes
GTA
silver < copper < nickel

silver = aluminum with some copper and graphite, up to 1600 F
copper, up to 1800 F
nickel, up to 2400 F

I use silver and copper interchangeably, depending upon what I have on hand. I use these on parking brake components and wheel hubs mostly.
I don't bother with spark plugs as I have never had any issues there. I also do not bother on exhaust components as everything rusts solid by the time replacement is needed.
However, if I had a performance exhaust on a sports car that I needed to regularly remove, I would use nickel on that due to the higher heat rating.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5258 posts
2619 upvotes
Ottawa
I use this stuff in the steering knuckle cavity when I replace speed sensors and wheel bearings/hubs. Good find. Upvoted.
Dec 17, 2019
166 posts
97 upvotes
Is it ok to use anti seize to oil drain plug?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2020 posts
2581 upvotes
GTA
Gommes wrote: Is it ok to use anti seize to oil drain plug?
I've never had the need to, across many vehicles and oil changes.
Should be fine if you just put a bit on the plug threads and avoid getting it near the front that touches the oil. I still wouldn't bother.
May 10, 2016
348 posts
455 upvotes
Yeah in my experience oil drain plugs are usually pretty well oiled and don't seem to rust much. I live on the BC coast though so maybe things are different elsewhere. Also without looking into the abrasive properties of anti-seize I would say to keep it away from your oil. If it was abrasive it could damage bearing/piston seals.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
This should last you your entire lifetime, lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1935 posts
346 upvotes
Ottawa
A drain plug shouldn't seize as it's already lubricated and removed regularly.

It's redundant like saying "assless chaps".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Nov 23, 2004
783 posts
1389 upvotes
Ontario
mxthor3 wrote: This should last you your entire lifetime, lol.
Definitely will for most casual home users. I've been using the same bottle for winter/summer tire changes since owning my first car in high school. I'm now in my 30's and own a home and that bottle is still only 50%.

Edit: Clarification thanks to the RFDer who quoted me - this is for the metal contact on the tire rim to the hub and not for lug nuts obviously!
Last edited by mindabsence on Mar 1st, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.