• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 5:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2019
53 posts
89 upvotes
Calgary

[Princess Auto] Princess Auto 2.5ton Low profile jack $60

Pretty good deal for a low profile jack. I have the same one I bought from parts source when they had their $20 GC when you spend $100 promo in late 2019. Their price was $89.99 IIRC.
60 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2553 posts
1133 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Trolley jack.
Apr 21, 2012
531 posts
745 upvotes
Ontario
Does this work with non low profile vehicles?
Jun 29, 2005
515 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
mobbie wrote: Does this work with non low profile vehicles?
yes that would work, all you need to make sure is that the max lift height of 14 1/8" fits your needs
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2243 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto West
hiker007 wrote: If you don't need the low profile and it's for sedan, the 2 ton version will be ok. It's also on sale for $21 dollar now. It's lighter and easier to move: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8036709e
For another side of this. Buy the best jack you can afford. They arent tools you change every couple years. There is never a case I would have a jack cause damage to a car and me say thank god I saved $23.14 in 2005.

You will have a jack for a LONG time. Buy a decent one that you can trust for a long time on a variety of cars. Absolutely do not buy the cheapest 2* rated $20 jack. These things can tilt, have a narrow base and can leak, improper use compounds all this which is probably much more likely for people buying $21 jacks.
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Aug 7, 2011
764 posts
340 upvotes
Mendes wrote: For another side of this. Buy the best jack you can afford. They arent tools you change every couple years. There is never a case I would have a jack cause damage to a car and me say thank god I saved $23.14 in 2005.

You will have a jack for a LONG time. Buy a decent one that you can trust for a long time on a variety of cars. Absolutely do not buy the cheapest 2* rated $20 jack. These things can tilt, have a narrow base and can leak, improper use compounds all this which is probably much more likely for people buying $21 jacks.
Would this 2.5 ton jack work for a Honda odyssey tire change?

I assume I'll need a few more items:
- jack stand
- torque wrench
- breaker bar
Last edited by 1theguy1 on Apr 26th, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
699 posts
477 upvotes
Mendes wrote: For another side of this. Buy the best jack you can afford. They arent tools you change every couple years. There is never a case I would have a jack cause damage to a car and me say thank god I saved $23.14 in 2005.

I agree with your point if you need a jack frequently. But I only use the jack for tire change.
MUST using the jack stand if you go underneath of car, even recommend it for the tire change too, if you don't have one, at lease use the scissor jack that comes with the car as the secondary support, also throw a spare tire under in case both fail.
If the jack leaks, just take it back to Princess Auto, they will fix it for you or refund.
Jan 1, 2020
62 posts
73 upvotes
I would save the money and buy a higher quality jack. This one and another smaller 1.5 ton one go on sale at Canadian Tire all of the time. They're kind of pieces of crap.
Dec 27, 2007
699 posts
477 upvotes
1theguy1 wrote: Would this 2.5 ton jack work for a Honda odyssey tire change?

I assume I'll need a few more items:
- jack stand
- torque wrench
- breaker bar
Didn't work on 2012 Odyssey back in the old day. It was 18 inch wheel. I assume it's not high enough for the newer model either.
If you work on bigger vehicles, better spend a bit more to buy 3-ton ones. for most of the sedans, 2-ton is fine, 2.5-ton looks awkward to me.
Aug 7, 2011
764 posts
340 upvotes
hiker007 wrote: Didn't work on 2012 Odyssey back in the old day. It was 18 inch wheel. I assume it's not high enough for the newer model either.
If you work on bigger vehicles, better spend a bit more to buy 3-ton ones. for most of the sedans, 2-ton is fine, 2.5-ton looks awkward to me.
Got a 2014 with 17 inch wheels.

Very little room in the garage so not trying to cheap out in dollars, but definitely need to cheap out in terms of Jack weight and space, hence bare minimum to get tire changed...
Jul 17, 2010
308 posts
342 upvotes
Keep in mind this jack only lift 14 inches. Not high enough to work under the car. Of course you can lift from the side, but you are risking crushing the frame when dropping the car onto a jack stand.
Apr 21, 2012
531 posts
745 upvotes
Ontario
So anyone recommend a decent jack at a fair price? I like my stuff to last. Smaller or with a case probably better since it'll likely only get used twice a year until it expires
Jan 23, 2017
235 posts
288 upvotes
You gonna trust your $60k+ vehicle to this $60 jack, or heaven forbid that $21 CT disaster? The rationale that you only jack the car to change tires seems compelling but these tiny cheapy disposable jacks require more care and due diligence to operate safely.

Do yourself a favor, buy the heavy Costco 3-ton jack that goes on sale every so often.
https://www.costco.ca/arcan-3-ton-profe ... 17470.html

What does safe and careful operation look like? The opposite of this...
Jun 27, 2018
201 posts
139 upvotes
Thanks OP. I trust this brand and very good price now.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1066 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver

Lol I agree...I've tried a cheap trolley jack in the past and it felt like it would tip over...

I find it funny how people will spend $50k+ on a car then try to buy crappy $20 jack.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3182 posts
2051 upvotes
Langley
imclumzy wrote: You gonna trust your $60k+ vehicle to this $60 jack, or heaven forbid that $21 CT disaster? The rationale that you only jack the car to change tires seems compelling but these tiny cheapy disposable jacks require more care and due diligence to operate safely.

Do yourself a favor, buy the heavy Costco 3-ton jack that goes on sale every so often.
https://www.costco.ca/arcan-3-ton-profe ... 17470.html

What does safe and careful operation look like? The opposite of this...
Is there another good quality jack that is lighter? 60lbs seems heavy to move around. I wouldn't mind paying more for something just as good, but lighter.
Dec 27, 2007
699 posts
477 upvotes
really bad idea by adding a hockey puck to raise the height !