Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

Radial Tire Repair Cord Kit @ 6.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 12:56 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2008
1184 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal

[Princess Auto] Radial Tire Repair Cord Kit @ 6.99

Everyone should have one of these kits in their car and know how to use it.

here is an overview of how these work :

This saved my bacon a few years ago when we got a flat, out camping very far from anyone cell signal etc. This got the tire fixed.

I have repaired a few tire leaks with these, good for fixing nail or screws that imbed in the tire's rolling surface only. ( Will not work for side wall leaks , but I never tried)

Other note, if you have driven on a tire flat you many have destroyed the tire from the inside. So take the tire to pro. source :

Strange coincide but I used up the last rubber strip in my old kit yesterday, we got a screw in the front wheel this weekend.
32 replies
Jun 27, 2006
599 posts
285 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I bought a bunch of the slime ones on amazon for $2 and they work great
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2018
1116 posts
1618 upvotes
Ontario
Good to have in case of emergency for sure. My understanding is taking the tire off the wheel and patching from the inside is the best fix though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
stevo88 wrote: Good to have in case of emergency for sure. My understanding is taking the tire off the wheel and patching from the inside is the best fix though.
really? i've had a few tires patched at various garages and have never seen them take tire off to repair or even offered the service at additional cost.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7476 upvotes
RFD
qwerty17327 wrote: There is another kit without the knife, which make the knife $2; lol.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/8-pc-tu ... 0008458291
I bought this one before, haven't needed to use it but it looks good. I don't need the knife since I have a cutting plier in the car emergency tool bag.
Jun 24, 2019
136 posts
334 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ive put in probably about a dozen of these cords into mine and my co-workers tires. Essential kit to have in the car IMO, and although getting a patch from the inside is the "manufacturer approved" way of plugging a hole, Ive put 100,000km on a tire with this plug in it and no slow leak the whole time.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2973 posts
302 upvotes
The method of " plugging " a tire in N.S. is no longer allowed . The tire must be removed and patched from the inside . The average cost to do this is $28 .
Dec 31, 2016
171 posts
218 upvotes
Fredericton
DogeMusk wrote: really? i've had a few tires patched at various garages and have never seen them take tire off to repair or even offered the service at additional cost.
Best repair is a plug and patch combo which is done with the tire removed from the rim as long as the puncture isnt on the sidewall...if the sidewall has a hole in it..the tire goes to the recycling depot.
"Quality, not quantity".
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7476 upvotes
RFD
DealGoblin wrote: Ive put in probably about a dozen of these cords into mine and my co-workers tires. Essential kit to have in the car IMO, and although getting a patch from the inside is the "manufacturer approved" way of plugging a hole, Ive put 100,000km on a tire with this plug in it and no slow leak the whole time.
I've seen numerous people do this way of plugging a tire up and it has withstood thousands of KMs as you experience. These are more than fine to use especially when used with the glue provided the hole isn't oversized.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1802 posts
1030 upvotes
Vancouver
I've patched the same tire twice (different holes) using something like this with no prior experience and it worked well. The amount of force you need to shove the thing in/out is so much that I doubt it would come out...especially out of such a small hole. You can just use an exacto knife to get rid of the excess.
Apr 14, 2019
116 posts
137 upvotes
naimc wrote:

Other note, if you have driven on a tire flat you many have destroyed the tire from the inside. So take the tire to pro. source :

Wow years of life left in that tire. He's selling a new tire when it only needs a plug, what a scammer.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2011
1154 posts
1056 upvotes
Montreal / Laval
Just in time, I'm in the market for a repair kit and almost buy one from CT. Thank OP.
-------------
Fido Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 20GB - 25$
Public Mobile Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 2GB - 17$
Videotron Internet : 400/50M cable - 50$
Oct 1, 2015
35 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
As an alternative to this tool, if you have a Costco membership it only costs $12.42 with tax for them to remove the tire, patch it, fill with nitrogen, and rebalance. Had Costco fix a tire in Sept 2021.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
gtownsend82 wrote: As an alternative to this tool, if you have a Costco membership it only costs $12.42 with tax for them to remove the tire, patch it, fill with nitrogen, and rebalance. Had Costco fix a tire in Sept 2021.
If you bought the tires from Costco, it should be free repairs. If you didn't buy them from Costco, I thought they wouldn't work on them, or did that policy change?
Oct 1, 2015
35 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jm1 wrote: If you bought the tires from Costco, it should be free repairs. If you didn't buy them from Costco, I thought they wouldn't work on them, or did that policy change?
I had no problem getting my non-Costco tire fixed for the aforementioned fee.
Mar 11, 2019
870 posts
876 upvotes
One thing to always remeber using these plugs is you MUST insert the plug through the original hole. If the nail went through the tire at a steep angle and you push the plug straight through you are making a new hole in the tire and will probably leak. Rwmoving the tire and using a patch and plug is optimal repair solution. You need the plug to keep water and dist out of the hole.
May 10, 2020
547 posts
395 upvotes
DogeMusk wrote: really? i've had a few tires patched at various garages and have never seen them take tire off to repair or even offered the service at additional cost.
This is the proper way of doing it .patching from outside is just cutting corners and making $
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1143 posts
454 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I do car work on the side and my own work for my vehicles and I only plug tires that are leaking and haven't gone completely flat on the way in, if it has lost all air somehow you could be risking a blowout later on especially on heavier vehicles such as SUV or trucks, that being said I've never had a blowout mentioned to me or on my own vehicles using these $5-$7 princess auto Canadian tire kits, if patching a leaking tire with a plug too there is the risk of making things worse if you don't know what you are doing, don't use a plug very close to the sidewall or on the sidewall either, it's tempting and a friend did it and it got him around for a week but it is extremely dangerous .....just don't do it lol
May 4, 2001
92 posts
78 upvotes
If you have a nail puncture or a puncture from a narrow sharp object then these tire plugs will work just fine. Getting the rasp through the hole to clean out the hole is by far the toughest part (and a little scary since you are destroying the tire even more so). Once you get the tire plug/cord about 2/3 the way in then all you need to do is pull the handle out quickly in one quick smooth motion. It's not terribly difficult and just fill the tire and spray the area with soapy water to check for any visible leaks. Cut off the remaining cord (or you can let the tire wear the remaining protruding cord away as well). If the hole is quite big then use two plugs together on the plug tool to plug the hole. It's a cheap no brainer fix that almost anyone who can drive a car can do. It is a whole heck easier if the tire is off the vehicle though. It's small & cheap enough to carry in the glove box as well. Buy a set with a good reamer and plug tool as the better the reamer and plug tool the easier the repair will be.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)