Hot Deals

Princess Auto

Refurbished Danby 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner + Wireless Connect (smart phone control) $320 + almost Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2022 5:51 am
Oct 20, 2019
593 posts
1118 upvotes
Ottawa
nicolascon wrote: I have a different danby ac that is smart and it does not connect to anything and it seems like that is quite common

Ended up just finding a smart plug with a high enough rating and doing it that way
I have a "smart" Danby AC and I was only able to connect to it through the NetHome app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rcondition

Once I install the AC this year I'll test again with the Danby app. It didn't discover the AC with that app.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1270 posts
266 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
This posting motivated me to check out the other refurbished air conditioners Princess Auto sells and to my surprise they have the U-shaped Danby window A/C I've been eyeing for some time. Same as the Midea U-shaped 8000 BTU model as far as I can tell, DC inverter technology so very efficient and quiet. 1 year warranty on all these refurbished units.

I may not even need this, it's going to be insurance in case one of the A/Cs on various farm buildings dies or emergency use in the house if the 40 year old central air compressor ever goes. I remember the panic buying of last summer and figure this kind of insurance is worth it. I'll have to adapt it for sliding windows unfortunately.
Apr 12, 2004
231 posts
52 upvotes
werdnav wrote: Mine is DAC120EB7WDB-RF, with the RF meaning refurbished. It looks perfect except for a little collision mark in the cooling fins visible from the back. Ran it for sec. A little loud, as expected; it all seems in order.
You can use a fin comb to straighten that out easily.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2708 posts
419 upvotes
Burnaby
nice find.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12672 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
Ctrl-Z wrote: This posting motivated me to check out the other refurbished air conditioners Princess Auto sells and to my surprise they have the U-shaped Danby window A/C I've been eyeing for some time. Same as the Midea U-shaped 8000 BTU model as far as I can tell, DC inverter technology so very efficient and quiet. 1 year warranty on all these refurbished units.

I may not even need this, it's going to be insurance in case one of the A/Cs on various farm buildings dies or emergency use in the house if the 40 year old central air compressor ever goes. I remember the panic buying of last summer and figure this kind of insurance is worth it. I'll have to adapt it for sliding windows unfortunately.
which one did you end up getting?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9376 posts
17120 upvotes
Montreal
With the hot season upon us, and many A/C out of stock, I thought I would "unexpire" this thread since this deal is still available. $320 might be their regular price after all.

mmartins25 wrote: Does anyone know the warranty policy on refurbished products?
From PA's Web site:

"Refund Policy
No sale is final until you're satisfied. We guarantee to make it right. We will repair, replace or refund any product to your satisfaction."
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9376 posts
17120 upvotes
Montreal
GKman26 wrote: Not sure when it ends but I did buy it in person today.

Haven't had a chance to install it
Are you happy with your purchase? TIA.
Dec 15, 2017
65 posts
26 upvotes
Very, it was easy to install. An extra set of hands are helpful. And performance is good.
Aug 19, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
BC Coast
Thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea that Princess Auto had air conditioners. I checked out what they had online and I bought a portable one, just a few hours from finding this thread. I ordered after midnight, and they sent a shipped notification at 6 am.

15,000 BTU, 10,800 SACC Portable Air Conditioner - $499.99
https://www.princessauto.com/en/15000-b ... 0009038779

I am cautiously optimistic....
Dec 15, 2017
65 posts
26 upvotes
GKman26 wrote: Very, it was easy to install. An extra set of hands are helpful. And performance is good.
I also configured the smart options with the danby app but couldn't add it to my Google home group.

Tried it with the midea air app and works just fine and I was able to add it to my Google home

So I'm throughly satisfied with this purchase.

Also, it collects a ton of water in its tray but has no drainage. so if you are handy, put a small drain hole but be super careful, the ideal drain spot at the back of the tray is millimeters away from the copper pipes that contains the compressed refrigerant. So you have a very high chance of puncturing it if not careful.
Aug 17, 2012
339 posts
341 upvotes
Vancouver
Helped someone install one of these in a casement style window a day before a hot day. Had to make a custom frame for it. It's okay. Tripped the breaker on the power bar twice. Said it only requires 15amp (specs say 10?) but the bar is 20 so...
Plugged into the wall, no breaker.

It does pool a lot of water in it on the drain side, but I think that actually helps with its normal functioning, and it should be that way, though it's not ideal if the AC isn't on and you're avoiding mold.

Weirdly, doesn't cool as well as a 5000btu Frigidaire at point blank range. You put your hand over that one and it's COLD. On this one, I don't know what to make of that, but the danby cools the space (250sq ft) it's in alright and DID help on a bad day of heat, but put your hand on it, and it's just kinda cool-ish. The other room (120sq ft) is an icebox by comparison. I just think this is an okay AC, but it's struggling and doesn't seem to meet the specs. It's supposed to cool a 550sq ft space, and I'd expect it to be able to icebox that room. Maybe they got a bad unit?
Oct 5, 2009
65 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
dfphoenix wrote: Helped someone install one of these in a casement style window a day before a hot day. Had to make a custom frame for it. It's okay. Tripped the breaker on the power bar twice. Said it only requires 15amp (specs say 10?) but the bar is 20 so...
Plugged into the wall, no breaker.

It does pool a lot of water in it on the drain side, but I think that actually helps with its normal functioning, and it should be that way, though it's not ideal if the AC isn't on and you're avoiding mold.

Weirdly, doesn't cool as well as a 5000btu Frigidaire at point blank range. You put your hand over that one and it's COLD. On this one, I don't know what to make of that, but the danby cools the space (250sq ft) it's in alright and DID help on a bad day of heat, but put your hand on it, and it's just kinda cool-ish. The other room (120sq ft) is an icebox by comparison. I just think this is an okay AC, but it's struggling and doesn't seem to meet the specs. It's supposed to cool a 550sq ft space, and I'd expect it to be able to icebox that room. Maybe they got a bad unit?
I got one of these like a month ago and I agree. Was expecting it to be colder. I just assumed NA uses a different coolant from Asia and our AC's arent as great. Its also loud. And where does the water drain out of? I installed it on the second floor window.

It still does the trick. Brings the room down to a nice room temperature and takes out the humidity so at least you're comfortable. I dunno, I'm skeptical of Danby being a good manufacturer. I don't need the room to be ice cold. In vancouver it got as hot as 28-29 degrees so haven't used it on days over 30 yet.

How does it not have a water drainage hole? How am I suppose to empty it out if I'm gonna store it
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9376 posts
17120 upvotes
Montreal
smokeyjay wrote: (...) And where does the water drain out of? I installed it on the second floor window. (...) How does it not have a water drainage hole? How am I suppose to empty it out if I'm gonna store it
You are supposed to install it at a 1-2 degrees angle slanting towards the back. The water is thrown away by the cooling fan or drips down the back. Most likely, Danby did not manufacture the A/C. It's a rebrand.