• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 10:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1422 posts
947 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Standing Propane Patio Heater $149.99

I've been looking for one of these and they are either sold out or really expensive. Princess Auto has these in stock. Not much information but with the return policy it seems like a no brainer for me. Rule of RFD Buy first think later applies here

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8948572e
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 28th, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
80 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1554 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
That powder coat might rust in no time. And lugging it back to the store might not be worth the time and effort.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1073 posts
741 upvotes
Montreal
michiebaby wrote: That powder coat might rust in no time. And lugging it back to the store might not be worth the time and effort.
Heat resistant anti-rust spray paint is $10.
Nov 3, 2018
324 posts
146 upvotes
Would it work as an umbrella replacement for a round-patio table? How practical is 41,000 BTU, I mean, would it allow to comfortably sit outside all Fall up until the first snow? :)
Feb 27, 2008
292 posts
105 upvotes
calgary
Any idea which brand or company is this? Would like to check out reviews. Costco has similar online for $180 but sold out now
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9783 posts
2846 upvotes
Vancouver
I was looking extensively at these a few years back as my condo had natural gas hook up and it was unmetered. Also looked at propane tanks based ones.

What I learnt is that most have parts that fail and they are all some random brands with questionable post sales support. The igniter being the one that fails frequently. These do not perform well in the wind.

Then I thought to myself how often do bars struggle to get these things going and those are commercial ones. The higher end bars have crazy wide ones that are more reliable.

I passed on buying one but at this price

No comments on this unit in particular
Last edited by GangStarr on Sep 29th, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2011
1048 posts
379 upvotes
findmedeals2 wrote: Any idea which brand or company is this? Would like to check out reviews. Costco has similar online for $180 but sold out now
Brand is Red Mountain Valley
Jul 21, 2005
396 posts
404 upvotes
Kitchener
is this a buy?
Something something dark side...
Jun 12, 2007
985 posts
643 upvotes
I think i own the same one. Its fairly simple inside, nothings broken down in the last couple of years.

Not much rust even though i just keep it outside. The hat is super flimsy and fell off a few times, looks a bit wonky now.
I didnt end up using it as much as i thought i would because the wind usually blew the heat away. I cant see it heating up a whole table unless its not windy at all out.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3268 posts
2026 upvotes
Toronto
purchased, thanks OP. Will be nice for the upcoming winter covid gatherings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9783 posts
2846 upvotes
Vancouver
Grau18 wrote: Would it work as an umbrella replacement for a round-patio table? How practical is 41,000 BTU, I mean, would it allow to comfortably sit outside all Fall up until the first snow? :)
Not sure what you mean by a replacement for an umbrella. This thing won’t keep you dry and def won’t fit In That round hole in your table.

They do make table top heaters. That are short and sit in middle of table. Might have less wind effect and I think they make infrared ones.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3562 posts
1613 upvotes
'Shwallywood
Ordered, I was waiting for it to show up on their website, they always put it up the day before.

I am 100% expecting my order to get cancelled. I ordered a kayak carrier and a park bench (twice) they all got cancelled more than a month after ordering it. They have a terrible system.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Aug 15, 2017
105 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP. Was looking for one but they were usually start in the high 300 elsewhere.
Apr 30, 2012
291 posts
146 upvotes
North York
ive had one of these the past 3 years and no rust on it as of yet
Nov 19, 2009
705 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Sold out now. I've been trying to get my hands on these for a few weeks. If these come through I could kiss the OP.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1730 posts
2332 upvotes
VANCOUVER
GangStarr wrote:
I passed on buying one but did learn that infrared is the way to go. Yes it uses electricity but it works well and wind doesn’t impact it.
Actually that is terrible advise. Avoid the electric infrared ones at all costs!

First of all you have to have a dedicated 240v circuit installed, which could costs thousands depending on the location (if you can even do it). Next, they are very weak compared to the natural gas or propane versions. My friend installed a commercial quality infrared heater on his back porch (cost was close to $2k not including electrical). We sat directly under the thing and could barely feel any heat. This is on a early october day in Vancouver so not even cold out. He ended up removing the thing and upgrading to the tube style natural gas ones you see at hockey arenas. And finally, the running costs are significantly higher than LNG/LPG.

At any rate, these cheap portable units are probably good enough for most people. Keep in mind, unless you shell out for a premium commercial unit, these will fall apart after a few seasons.
Jul 24, 2019
22 posts
20 upvotes
Buy now, ask wife for forgiveness later.
RFD syndrome is where you spend less per item but buy more stuff with the saved $$
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2888 posts
785 upvotes
Malta wrote: Sold out now. I've been trying to get my hands on these for a few weeks. If these come through I could kiss the OP.
I have been trying also, was lucky to get in before it was OOS. Fingers crossed it comes through.
Jul 24, 2019
22 posts
20 upvotes
36 left online currently. RFD in full effect
RFD syndrome is where you spend less per item but buy more stuff with the saved $$
Nov 26, 2018
352 posts
344 upvotes
how does this work again? you just plug in a propane tank? any idea how many hours you can get out of it on one tank?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)