Expired Hot Deals

[Princess Auto] Standing Propane Patio Heater $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 10:20 am
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1376 posts
1302 upvotes
konig1 wrote: how does this work again? you just plug in a propane tank? any idea how many hours you can get out of it on one tank?
Please buy it and report. I must know!
Dec 10, 2009
326 posts
488 upvotes
wildlele wrote: Please buy it and report. I must know!
A standard 20lb propane tank has an energy content of about 430,000BTU. At 41,000BTU/hr expect around 10 hours-ish of usage at full blast. If you turn it down you will get more hours out of it.
Mar 16, 2006
273 posts
248 upvotes
Well I was at a friend’s 2 nights ago And I can say the infrared heater (non commercial variety) kept our group of 4 very toasty. It was also a standard 120V hookup,
I don’t know why your friend’s heater didn’t work but your advice to stay away at all costs based on one experience seems rather harsh.
goozy1 wrote: Actually that is terrible advise. Avoid the electric infrared ones at all costs!

First of all you have to have a dedicated 240v circuit installed, which could costs thousands depending on the location (if you can even do it). Next, they are very weak compared to the natural gas or propane versions. My friend installed a commercial quality infrared heater on his back porch (cost was close to $2k not including electrical). We sat directly under the thing and could barely feel any heat. This is on a early october day in Vancouver so not even cold out. He ended up removing the thing and upgrading to the tube style natural gas ones you see at hockey arenas. And finally, the running costs are significantly higher than LNG/LPG.

At any rate, these cheap portable units are probably good enough for most people. Keep in mind, unless you shell out for a premium commercial unit, these will fall apart after a few seasons.
Dec 5, 2004
416 posts
444 upvotes
Three years later and the first parts to rust are the wingnuts on the reflector (top side), and that's with it getting covered during the winter and spring.

As for the igniter being the first part to crap out, it's not a big deal to use a bbq lighter to start it. They fit inside the holes around the top of the unit. Most generic units will have a dedicated port to use a match or lighter.

My biggest worry about it is it catching some wind during a storm, even with a full tank of propane. It's happened more than once.
Apr 30, 2004
114 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm in the restaurant industry and been doing a bunch of research and real world tests with for my 250 seat patio. These style tall heaters with 5 foot high burners in these posts are great for areas mostly sheltered from the wind or for people lining up or heating people while standing and mingling, heat rises and the fire and round flame guard and perforated cylinder does get hot enough to transmit some infrared rays to heat downward when at full blast but if you're seated around a table or lounger on even a slightly breezy day you will get only a small fraction of the heating that this unit outputs as the fire and all the elements getting heated are 5 feet above ground, and the heat level below 4 feet drops to almost 0 when you run the unit at 50% or lower. I had a dozen of these style Napoleon commercial ones and automatic igniters going is a bother, and the thing tipping over in high wind when the tank is empty and bending the guard also annoying (but can be bent back) I found for commercial uses the thing that failed that caused the unit to need a $100-200 repair for an expensive and hard to find part is failure of the perforated metal element that gets hot. We are running the heater a ton in the spring and fall and the metal gets super brittle eventually and if it tips the whole element cracks and that part to get is over half the cost of the heater.

I have one of the stand up glass tube types and went to a few patios with my wife that had dozens of those long glass tubes with fire rising inside (one between every other table) and on a 10-15C night with a slight breeze it was too cool for comfort with a long sleeve shirt with 2nd short sleeve underneath (my wife with a light sweater and dress was borderline wanting to leave it was too cool with the unit right beside her 2 feet away). The bright flame upwards starting at 2.5-3 feet helps bring some of the heat downward and the glass gets hot so it radiates good heat outward when standing at close proximity (my kids and I use ours when drying off from the pool), but the majority of the heat transmitted at face height, also compared to the ones in this post they are less efficient as some of the energy wasted creating that cool flame. I'm no scientist but its something about it creating more visible light energy (bright but not warming), in exchange for less infrared rays which will make people warm from a distance.
The best seated patios heating I've found for overall use is infrared. For commercial, the highest end restos have spent the money on individual gas or electric infrared heaters pointing at each booth or covering 2-3 tables, or have long patios like mine and have infrared natural gas tubes with parabolic reflectors. Electricity is super expensive to run, natural gas for the next few should stay at a all time low so those of us willing to invest have gone gas (I bought 2x 40 foot natural gas tube heaters to cover 1/3 of my patio, the infrared running heats up the tables, concrete patio pad, along with the awning and galss patio wall cutting most of the wind the unit runs on low fire right now when its 10-15c out and its feels warm as our iron tables, chairs, everything is getting warmed by the infrared rays). 120V 15A regular plug infrared might be ok for a small small table of 4 if positioned correctly for residential purposes. I've also been eyeing this for home use (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8945081e) these knee height propane ones should be casting a large amount of infrared heat and are cheap enough that putting 2 in opposing corners might cover a decent size patio as all people would be covered on one side. If anyone has experience with these type heaters please DM me. I'm trying to find 2 cheap natural gas infrared elements to make a similar heater but using natural gas.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8531 posts
1409 upvotes
Vancouver
goozy1 wrote: Actually that is terrible advise. Avoid the electric infrared ones at all costs!

First of all you have to have a dedicated 240v circuit installed, which could costs thousands depending on the location (if you can even do it). Next, they are very weak compared to the natural gas or propane versions. My friend installed a commercial quality infrared heater on his back porch (cost was close to $2k not including electrical). We sat directly under the thing and could barely feel any heat. This is on a early october day in Vancouver so not even cold out. He ended up removing the thing and upgrading to the tube style natural gas ones you see at hockey arenas. And finally, the running costs are significantly higher than LNG/LPG.

At any rate, these cheap portable units are probably good enough for most people. Keep in mind, unless you shell out for a premium commercial unit, these will fall apart after a few seasons.
Apologies I’ve edited my original post on infrared
Autocorrect sucks
Jan 22, 2017
238 posts
156 upvotes
Thanks, good deal, I went to the St-Jerome location this morning at opening time and I manage to get one. The 12 unit in stock sold in about a minute
Nov 19, 2009
654 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: How do you refill the propane?
I believe its the same as a BBQ. you have a tank and get it filled
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7165 posts
3439 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This may be a stupid question, but is there similar heater that use electricity?
I am too lazy to keep changing the propane.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Dec 10, 2009
326 posts
488 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: This may be a stupid question, but is there similar heater that use electricity?
I am too lazy to keep changing the propane.
Yes, most heaters on typical 120V don't put out as much heat due to circuit load constraints. You can also get a dedicated 240V circuit installed and get a 240V heater with more output.
Feb 8, 2017
215 posts
114 upvotes
My order was canceled and this is when they had 60 plus in stock....this is ridiculous will think twice before ordering from Princess Auto again. Horrible experience
Apr 21, 2017
365 posts
322 upvotes
Chelsea
Order just got cancelled as well .. disappointing
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9681 posts
3032 upvotes
Is this really 87 inches, so can't really put it in a hard top Gazebo as it will be to close to the top.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3584 posts
2417 upvotes
Toronto
Jeremy_H_Chan wrote: I'm in the restaurant industry and been doing a bunch of research and real world tests with for my 250 seat patio. These style tall heaters with 5 foot high burners in these posts are great for areas mostly sheltered from the wind or for people lining up or heating people while standing and mingling, heat rises and the fire and round flame guard and perforated cylinder does get hot enough to transmit some infrared rays to heat downward when at full blast but if you're seated around a table or lounger on even a slightly breezy day you will get only a small fraction of the heating that this unit outputs as the fire and all the elements getting heated are 5 feet above ground, and the heat level below 4 feet drops to almost 0 when you run the unit at 50% or lower. I had a dozen of these style Napoleon commercial ones and automatic igniters going is a bother, and the thing tipping over in high wind when the tank is empty and bending the guard also annoying (but can be bent back) I found for commercial uses the thing that failed that caused the unit to need a $100-200 repair for an expensive and hard to find part is failure of the perforated metal element that gets hot. We are running the heater a ton in the spring and fall and the metal gets super brittle eventually and if it tips the whole element cracks and that part to get is over half the cost of the heater.

I have one of the stand up glass tube types and went to a few patios with my wife that had dozens of those long glass tubes with fire rising inside (one between every other table) and on a 10-15C night with a slight breeze it was too cool for comfort with a long sleeve shirt with 2nd short sleeve underneath (my wife with a light sweater and dress was borderline wanting to leave it was too cool with the unit right beside her 2 feet away). The bright flame upwards starting at 2.5-3 feet helps bring some of the heat downward and the glass gets hot so it radiates good heat outward when standing at close proximity (my kids and I use ours when drying off from the pool), but the majority of the heat transmitted at face height, also compared to the ones in this post they are less efficient as some of the energy wasted creating that cool flame. I'm no scientist but its something about it creating more visible light energy (bright but not warming), in exchange for less infrared rays which will make people warm from a distance.
The best seated patios heating I've found for overall use is infrared. For commercial, the highest end restos have spent the money on individual gas or electric infrared heaters pointing at each booth or covering 2-3 tables, or have long patios like mine and have infrared natural gas tubes with parabolic reflectors. Electricity is super expensive to run, natural gas for the next few should stay at a all time low so those of us willing to invest have gone gas (I bought 2x 40 foot natural gas tube heaters to cover 1/3 of my patio, the infrared running heats up the tables, concrete patio pad, along with the awning and galss patio wall cutting most of the wind the unit runs on low fire right now when its 10-15c out and its feels warm as our iron tables, chairs, everything is getting warmed by the infrared rays). 120V 15A regular plug infrared might be ok for a small small table of 4 if positioned correctly for residential purposes. I've also been eyeing this for home use (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8945081e) these knee height propane ones should be casting a large amount of infrared heat and are cheap enough that putting 2 in opposing corners might cover a decent size patio as all people would be covered on one side. If anyone has experience with these type heaters please DM me. I'm trying to find 2 cheap natural gas infrared elements to make a similar heater but using natural gas.
Drop the name of your restaurant! Will have to visit when we're in Ottawa one day, and no I won't ask for a discount Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1879 posts
1359 upvotes
Surrey
Went back in stock and ordered one. See if it gets cancelled or not
Jul 9, 2018
81 posts
63 upvotes
Just got cancellation of my order placed. Not worth a try
Feb 9, 2002
349 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I was cancelled and the website was showing over 30 in stock. Now its OOS.
Canadian Tire Addict
# Of Hot Deals Posted = 6
My Heatware
Nov 26, 2018
109 posts
93 upvotes
Order got cancelled. I ordered early too. Anyone actually get one? I bet they're relisting it at a higher price in a week. Lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)