(STEAL OF A DEAL) Jet Blue Ice melter (10kg) starts Dec 07-19th

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2021 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2019
95 posts
126 upvotes
sspick wrote: I just get 20kg(?) bags of water softener for <$6 at HD. It's sodium chloride, and really clean. It doesn't leave a mess in the driveway. And it's always in stock when you need it.

Water Softener from HD
Interesting! So, you use this water softener on your driveway and pathways? I buy them since we have a Kinetico Water Filtration system at home. But, it never occurred to me that this water softener can also be used to melt ice. Is it as effective as the other salts? I already have a bunch of these. Costco also sells them.
Nov 23, 2006
439 posts
276 upvotes
Ontario
harshivb wrote: Interesting! So, you use this water softener on your driveway and pathways? I buy them since we have a Kinetico Water Filtration system at home. But, it never occurred to me that this water softener can also be used to melt ice. Is it as effective as the other salts? I already have a bunch of these. Costco also sells them.
I think the only issue is the size of the pellets. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I read elsewhere that because water softener salt isn't as fine, it doesn't work as well, and the larger, smoother pieces roll off the driveway more easily in the wind. But again, I could be wrong. I only have a few bags of water softener and so driveway salt, so may try it out at some point to see. Maybe crush a few pieces with a hammer prior to applying.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5023 posts
1700 upvotes
sspick wrote: I just get 20kg(?) bags of water softener for <$6 at HD. It's sodium chloride, and really clean. It doesn't leave a mess in the driveway. And it's always in stock when you need it.

Water Softener from HD
How does this hold up in a bucket that may get a little wet?
Let's hug it out
Feb 28, 2019
95 posts
126 upvotes
xmanofsteel69 wrote: I think the only issue is the size of the pellets. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I read elsewhere that because water softener salt isn't as fine, it doesn't work as well, and the larger, smoother pieces roll off the driveway more easily in the wind. But again, I could be wrong. I only have a few bags of water softener and so driveway salt, so may try it out at some point to see. Maybe crush a few pieces with a hammer prior to applying.
Agreed. They could roll off the driveway. Since those pieces are big, who knows, some might even trip over. Good to know still.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3354 posts
3406 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RenoDeopt has the Marco branded Yukon ice melter 20kg for $5.49. It's a mix of Sodium and Calcium chloride, seems to work well so far. Rated to -30C.

Picked up a few bags a few weeks ago. At this price, it is pretty close to the same price as plain rock salt.
Nov 6, 2011
139 posts
68 upvotes
PORTUGAL COVE-ST PHI…
The Sifto Water Softener bag I linked to is flaky and in smaller pieces, not pellets. Some the user reviews comment on such as well. I've only used it in the bag so I can't really comment on how it behaves if it gets damp, but it's salt. Also safe enough for your household water system so I would imagine it's pet safe. I like the fact it doesn't have any grit in it so there no mess to clean up in the Spring. Rain will wash any residue away. It works well for me in our relatively milder climate.
Jun 11, 2006
123 posts
216 upvotes
Lakefield
Any recommendation for salt on concrete. I've got 20 year old concrete that is still in good shape perhaps because I've never used salt on it before. Don't want to start using salt and find it is harmful to the concrete.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2370 posts
1586 upvotes
Kitchener

Water Softener from HD
This seems to be fine unless its on concrete. Did this for an emergency when I ran out ice melt and it left some nice size divots in my concreate between house and workshop.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5071 posts
1023 upvotes
jet blue is pretty good I cant remember but they use this at the airport and I snagged a few bags during the ice storm a few years back and it was phenomenal
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Nov 6, 2011
139 posts
68 upvotes
PORTUGAL COVE-ST PHI…
keyser-soze wrote: This seems to be fine unless its on concrete. Did this for an emergency when I ran out ice melt and it left some nice size divots in my concreate between house and workshop.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Only using it on asphalt here.
Oct 23, 2005
641 posts
233 upvotes
harshivb wrote: Interesting! So, you use this water softener on your driveway and pathways? I buy them since we have a Kinetico Water Filtration system at home. But, it never occurred to me that this water softener can also be used to melt ice. Is it as effective as the other salts? I already have a bunch of these. Costco also sells them.
I never use water softener salt in driveway or main pathway, as i see them as tripping hazard. However, one of previous home's west facing garage door has no overhang above. It often took hit of freezing rain or afternoon sun that led to frozen-shut door. We took advantage of bulkier water softener salt that has slow/longer lasting (reduce reapplication) melting properties. By putting at where the garage door gasket sit, it was just enough to keep the gasket from freezing.
Oct 13, 2016
392 posts
410 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
radeonboy wrote: Free shipping coming back in time for Christmas at PA?
on 50 lb bags. *not likely.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10592 posts
2272 upvotes
Nowhere
I try to avoid the blue stuff because I ended up with a big blue puddle in my garage when the colour separated from product.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1881 posts
1245 upvotes
So whats the verdict on this? There were other cheaper options listed/suggested... are those the same thing or is this one better? Thanks in advance.
Feb 28, 2019
95 posts
126 upvotes
dasiuyan wrote: I never use water softener salt in driveway or main pathway, as i see them as tripping hazard. However, one of previous home's west facing garage door has no overhang above. It often took hit of freezing rain or afternoon sun that led to frozen-shut door. We took advantage of bulkier water softener salt that has slow/longer lasting (reduce reapplication) melting properties. By putting at where the garage door gasket sit, it was just enough to keep the gasket from freezing.
Definitely a tripping hazard. I might do the same with my garage doors. Good tip!
Dec 24, 2017
71 posts
142 upvotes
Noticed there's a 30% off purchases over $100 at PA automatically applied at checkout, Shipping was about $32, but I had a few large items in addition to 2 of these ice melter bags, so not complaining here!
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10637 posts
3308 upvotes
shane65 wrote: Any recommendation for salt on concrete. I've got 20 year old concrete that is still in good shape perhaps because I've never used salt on it before. Don't want to start using salt and find it is harmful to the concrete.
i use salt on my concrete all the time and nothing happens.
Oct 7, 2007
329 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
No stock in coquitlam according to stocktrack - bummer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)