[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada

[Princess Auto] Various Hitch Mount Deals Starts May 26th

Perfect timing for anyone who got a hitch ordered from uhaul

u-haul-potential-pricing-error-deal-u-h ... s-2377648/

Princess auto has a sale starting on May 26th for various trailer hitch items/accessories.

1. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8304974e

Will be on sale for 129.99 save 130

2. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8780025e

Will be on sale for 129.99 save 60

3. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8663866e

Will be on sale for 99.99 save 50

4. Not a hitch accessory but still a good deal

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8681835e

Will be on sale for 89.99 save 60

5. Various ratchet straps and other straps are on sale as well.

Images attached from next week's flyer I got in the mail.
Images
  • IMG_20200524_080033.jpg
  • IMG_20200524_080056.jpg
  • IMG_20200524_080107.jpg
"Buy now...think later...You can always return it."
31 replies
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada
I personally am torn between number one and number three.

Number one seems like a better deal/build and has a ramp included but doesn't fold up.

Number three has no ramp but folds up when not in use.

Looking forward to an open discussion here and any suggestions
Oct 14, 2017
683 posts
734 upvotes
I'm giving a thumbs up just for the awesome Post!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4089 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto
For people who are buying their first carrier, please keep in mind that you have to look up your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight (max total weight including PASSENGERS and cargo) and tongue weight (max weight on your hitch the vehicle's frame can support) to figure out how much you can safely carry. Just because a carrier itself is rated for 750 lbs doesn't mean you can safely carry that much.

Most small/mid-size SUVs have a tongue weight of only 150 lbs. Subtract the weight of the carrier itself and you're left with less than 100 lbs of cargo you can safely carry. Sure, you see some people load up tons of bags of cement mix at the big box hardware store parking lot, but it's not safe if they have to do some emergency maneuvers and it's not good for their rear suspension.

OK, this classic photo doesn't show a cargo carrier, but main point about overloading is the same:

Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2904 posts
2554 upvotes
Oakville
jm1 wrote: For people who are buying their first carrier, please keep in mind that you have to look up your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight (max total weight including PASSENGERS and cargo) and tongue weight (max weight on your hitch the vehicle's frame can support) to figure out how much you can safely carry. Just because a carrier itself is rated for 750 lbs doesn't mean you can safely carry that much.

Most small/mid-size SUVs have a tongue weight of only 150 lbs. Subtract the weight of the carrier itself and you're left with less than 100 lbs of cargo you can safely carry. Sure, you see some people load up tons of bags of cement mix at the big box hardware store parking lot, but it's not safe if they have to do some emergency maneuvers and it's not good for their rear suspension.

OK, this classic photo doesn't show a cargo carrier, but main point about overloading is the same:

Yup this rules out carrying large freezers and heaps of solid wood planks and many other things for my sedan.

Basically by having this I can't carry heavier items, I'm just gaining more volume to carry with me and lighter loads below 100lbs.

Even with my quattro all wheel drive and 380HP, none of that matters as my Audi's load capacity is limited.

Good point something everyone should consider .
-ZdpZ... ;)
Mar 21, 2009
15 posts
5 upvotes
Giorgiodethrifty wrote: I personally am torn between number one and number three.

Number one seems like a better deal/build and has a ramp included but doesn't fold up.

Number three has no ramp but folds up when not in use.

Looking forward to an open discussion here and any suggestions
I own the equivalent of number 3, bought it at Costco for what this is in sale for last year.

DK2 Hitch-mounted Cargo Carrier

https://www.costco.ca/dk2-hitch-mounted ... 21569.html

I dont need a ramp, I use it to get to the lake and stack Rubbermaid roughnecks in it and tie them down with straps.

Unless you are loading something like a lawnmower in and out constantly, I don't see the benefit of a ramp given the weight it will add.

Hope this helps!
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada
The Peg wrote: I own the equivalent of number 3, bought it at Costco for what this is in sale for last year.

I dont need a ramp, I use it to get to the lake and stack Rubbermaid roughnecks in it and tie them down with straps.

Unless you are loading something like a lawnmower in and out constantly, I don't see the benefit of a ramp given the weight it will add.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate it makes sense you're right. Have you noticed any structural issues since owning it? Any warping or bending?

Also the fact that it folds up when not in use have you noticed any issues with rattling is it a good solid fit for your hitch?

Thanks in advance for your additional opinion
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada
The Peg wrote: I own the equivalent of number 3, bought it at Costco for what this is in sale for last year.

Hope this helps!

People on Costco saying this rusted easily. Nothing a can of Rust-Oleum can't fix but how's yours looking?
Mar 21, 2009
15 posts
5 upvotes
Giorgiodethrifty wrote: Appreciate it makes sense you're right. Have you noticed any structural issues since owning it? Any warping or bending?

Also the fact that it folds up when not in use have you noticed any issues with rattling is it a good solid fit for your hitch?

Thanks in advance for your additional opinion
No warping or bending, there is a threaded bolt that goes into your receiver that fixed the rattling issue so it doesn't rattle at all. I'm happy with it. Rust wise it has been stored in my garage all winter, but its not rusted more than I would have expected it to, very minor. One thing to keep in mind is clearance. I use it on a santa fe and I will occasionally bottom out in and out of parking lots depending on the slope. No issues on highway or roads but worth being aware. If you know its coming you can mitigate but anything other than a truck will have clearance issues on any of these cargo racks.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada
The Peg wrote: No warping or bending, there is a threaded bolt that goes into your receiver that fixed the rattling issue so it doesn't rattle at all. I'm happy with it. Rust wise it has been stored in my garage all winter, but its not rusted more than I would have expected it to, very minor. One thing to keep in mind is clearance. I use it on a santa fe and I will occasionally bottom out in and out of parking lots depending on the slope. No issues on highway or roads but worth being aware. If you know its coming you can mitigate but anything other than a truck will have clearance issues on any of these cargo racks.
Perfect thanks very much will definitely keep that in mind and be careful for bottoming issues. Will grab this next week :)
Mar 15, 2005
634 posts
458 upvotes
Ive had the 3rd rack for about 5 years now. On the back of a Santa fe. Like someone else mentioned if stored in the garage there is next to no wear and tear

Great for camping trips or trips to the cottage, basically gives the equivilant of a second trunk. Anything I put back there will be in Rubbermaid bins or a cooler.

Be sure to also pick up some straps to secure everything down. Somthing like this
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8020679e
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
561 posts
417 upvotes
Strong/Free Canada
The Peg wrote: No warping or bending, there is a threaded bolt that goes into your receiver that fixed the rattling issue so it doesn't rattle at all. I'm happy with it. Rust wise it has been stored in my garage all winter, but its not rusted more than I would have expected it to, very minor. One thing to keep in mind is clearance. I use it on a santa fe and I will occasionally bottom out in and out of parking lots depending on the slope. No issues on highway or roads but worth being aware. If you know its coming you can mitigate but anything other than a truck will have clearance issues on any of these cargo racks.
discoblues wrote: Ive had the 3rd rack for about 5 years now. On the back of a Santa fe. Like someone else mentioned if stored in the garage there is next to no wear and tear

Great for camping trips or trips to the cottage, basically gives the equivilant of a second trunk. Anything I put back there will be in Rubbermaid bins or a cooler.

Be sure to also pick up some straps to secure everything down. Somthing like this
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8020679e
Apparently this carrier+ Santa Fe owners is meant to be haha thanks for the additional info/usage experience!

One thing I wanted to ask both of you actually what's the situation like for getting in and out of your trunk? I guess it depends on vehicle but with it folded down can you have access to everything or you have to physically remove the carrier to be able to step in that area behind your vehicle?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1756 posts
1231 upvotes
GVRD
jerrypaulick wrote: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8681835e
This was a good deal even at full price, as I was looking into these earlier this year and the branded ones (Thule, Yakima etc.) were over $200 USED.
Although I'm also interested in the $89 PowerFist Rooftop Basket Carrier, it does appear to be a re-branded generic product with a limited number of reviews. I thought I saw many ebay generics for well under $100. Here's one for about $32 with free shipping that's larger and doesn't look that different: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/64-Roof-Rack-Ca ... 3576932979?

The other brands, even used, do offer tons of reviews, replacement parts if needed, even a user community. Their models are pretty stable so they wouldn't want them getting a "rusting out" reputation after a few years. Those companies sometimes are pretty good too at service and support even beyond the warranty date. I think that's somewhat why many will pay much more (even used) for the famous branded names. After using it for a year or two, you could also re-sell those branded names more easily.
Mar 15, 2005
634 posts
458 upvotes
Giorgiodethrifty wrote: Apparently this carrier+ Santa Fe owners is meant to be haha thanks for the additional info/usage experience!

One thing I wanted to ask both of you actually what's the situation like for getting in and out of your trunk? I guess it depends on vehicle but with it folded down can you have access to everything or you have to physically remove the carrier to be able to step in that area behind your vehicle?
Answer : it depends.

If I use smaller bins there is still clearance and the lift gate is able to open... However if items are piled up (and I've stacked in the past) there is no way you will get the lift gate to open without removing the items in the carrier.

That's another advantage of using Rubbermaid bins with those ratchet straps. It makes quick work of removing and re-securing if need be