[Princess Auto] Volcano 2000 Portable Jump Starter - 20800 mAh - $70

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 12:47 am
[OP]
Sep 11, 2004
436 posts
176 upvotes

[Princess Auto] Volcano 2000 Portable Jump Starter - 20800 mAh - $70

****I received my Jump starter and it is NOTHING like the description on the Princessauto website. It is NOT 20800 mAh but only 8000 mAh. My two will be going back.
I left a one star review on the PA website so no one else gets duped. It is the 1st time I have seen PA make a mistake like this, they are going to get a ton of returns!

Ignore...
OK, this is a warm and potentially hot-ish deal for a large capacity Jump Starter/Power bank. You would have to search pretty hard for even a 10,000 mAh unit at this price point. I have ordered two, but have NOT actually looked one over yet to give it a full seal of approval. If anyone has one, please chime in on its quality. Searches indicate the Volcano 2000 has good reviews, but the pics from PA and Amazon.com look a bit different. It may be old stock, although that should not matter too much with lithium batteries. While a unit like this could have many uses, I plan to use it as a back up power source on my boat for powering a fish finder, phone and even a trolling motor in a pinch. I figure with 20800mAh I could run my trolling motor at half thrust for 20 to 30 minutes -- enough to get me out of a jam if my outboard fails.

Here are the specs:
Package (L x W x H) 10 x 8.2 x 3.3 in.
Weight 1.9 lbs
Wattage (W) 10
Number of Outlets USB Type-C and DC ports
Battery Type 20800 mAh Lithium
Type Volcano 2000
Amperage Rating (A) 2000 Peak
Voltage Rating (V DC) 12

The USB C is in and out, so you have some good charging options. If you have a solar panel and charge controller with a usb port, it should be easy to keep one of these topped up in many outdoor situations.

I get delivery on Monday and will have a better idea of just what kind of deal this really is. Keep that in mind before getting your claws out...
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 21st, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best jump starters!
62 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16413 posts
2807 upvotes
GTA
and folks this is how you write up a hot deal... thank you so much for sharing this deal and calling out the fact that you haven't personally tested it yet.
Bob123456 wrote: I have ordered two, but have NOT actually looked one over yet to give it a full seal of approval. If anyone has one, please chime in on its quality.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
3560 posts
6803 upvotes
Laval
Avery83 wrote: Judging by the reviews on Amazon US, this is a pretty solid unit, good find!
link to reviews
May 22, 2014
414 posts
282 upvotes
always seems like a good idea to keep one of these in my car but....
1. i have caa
2. seems like a bad idea in the heat of the summer to keep one of these battery packs
Sep 18, 2008
211 posts
338 upvotes
Guess the one on Amazon US seems like a newer model like the OP said, pictures on Princessauto weren't loading for me
Sep 4, 2015
333 posts
301 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
davidqbp wrote: always seems like a good idea to keep one of these in my car but....
1. i have caa
2. seems like a bad idea in the heat of the summer to keep one of these battery packs
I've had similar unbranded one of these straight from Alibaba for over 7 years now. Always left it in my car - no problems so far. Still does well.

I've helped quite a few people jump start their cars/trucks/boats/lawn mowers and bring it travelling camping etc. Having it just for travelling and camping alone was worth it.

Just about any 12v appliance works great (think inflator, speakers, stereos, HDDs etc)

I'm not and engineer though so feel free to double check on keeping it in a hot car.
Aug 25, 2019
656 posts
679 upvotes
davidqbp wrote: always seems like a good idea to keep one of these in my car but....
1. i have caa
You would think so...BUTTT I lived in Fl for 20 years and you would be AMAZED Face Screaming In Fear by how many people are out boosting a battery when it is 80+ degrees F Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
"It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live." — Mae Jemison
Jul 7, 2013
827 posts
1171 upvotes
Thx for the share, OP - upvoted of course!

Anyone familiar with these know if it's better to keep in the house (guessing mostly car won't start at home) or just leaving in the car is fine (outlier temps here some -40C days to +35C)?

Been on the lookout for one since I hesitated and missed the BF Amazon ones - IIRC ~$60. Figured it would be good to have without having to wait for roadside service, esp since been driving less with the lockdown. Try to get out 1/wk but never know.

cheers,
:)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7075 posts
1582 upvotes
BC
klamchowder wrote: Thx for the share, OP - upvoted of course!

Anyone familiar with these know if it's better to keep in the house (guessing mostly car won't start at home) or just leaving in the car is fine (outlier temps here some -40C days to +35C)?

Been on the lookout for one since I hesitated and missed the BF Amazon ones - IIRC ~$60. Figured it would be good to have without having to wait for roadside service, esp since been driving less with the lockdown. Try to get out 1/wk but never know.

cheers,
Technically it is better to keep them indoors, but of course doing that means you probably won't have it when you need it. Heat isn't ideal for lithium batteries as it degrades their overall lifespan. Cold doesn't damage them, but does reduce the power output, this review of several unrelated models should give you an idea of how much cold affects these kinds of boosters:

Anecdotally, I have two boosters that stay in the cars, average winters down to -15C and summers to 35C. One 500A Aukey and one 4000A Gooloo. At -10C to -15C the 500A struggled to start a 4-cyl and was not enough to start a V6, while the 4000A was able to start both without issue.
Nov 16, 2019
127 posts
47 upvotes
Tempting. It’s got a pretty large footprint tho: 10 x 8.2 x 3.3 in.

Can jump up to 8l diesel, that’s pretty cool. Can’t tell what the battery capacity is. 20ah at what voltage?
Feb 17, 2008
282 posts
30 upvotes
If you need to use one and it's cold, just stick it inside your jacket for a bit and warm it up with your body heat.
Jan 13, 2009
398 posts
300 upvotes
Well, a quicker way to warm it up is putting it in a grocery bag and peeing on it. The heat from your urine is much hotter than the surface of your skin. You kill two bird with one stone using this method.
Sep 9, 2016
283 posts
588 upvotes
Leask
1. i have caa
CAA is great and I have roadside as well, but if this saves me from sitting in a parking lot for an hour in the cold or the heat waiting for a boost, it is worth every penny. I'd buy one if I hadn't recently bought the Motomaster equivalent, although it is still tempting to keep one in the boat.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2179 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
Avery83 wrote: Guess the one on Amazon US seems like a newer model like the OP said, pictures on Princessauto weren't loading for me
Seems PA's website is a bit glitchy at the moment. If the page fails to load in full on first attempt, try to reload it a few times.
Aug 7, 2011
789 posts
359 upvotes
Specs appear to be outstanding for the price but struggling to find any other information on this model from another site..

I placed the order so let's see what ends up arriving. Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8396 posts
9053 upvotes
The Prairies
leebee wrote: If you need to use one and it's cold, just stick it inside your jacket for a bit and warm it up with your body heat.
Won’t be much body heat in -40 temperatures, the most likely case where you’ll need one of these.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8396 posts
9053 upvotes
The Prairies
Sypher006 wrote: Well, a quicker way to warm it up is putting it in a grocery bag and peeing on it. The heat from your urine is much hotter than the surface of your skin. You kill two bird with one stone using this method.
Why put it in a bag? Seems like a waste of a bag no?
Those things are 5 cents each, could get costly over time.
Jun 29, 2019
21 posts
33 upvotes
I've used a similar lithium jump starter on my trolling motor and it did work but completely destroyed the cells after and it stopped working. So I'd only use it in an emergency as it might break after.
Jul 7, 2013
827 posts
1171 upvotes
Much appreciate the vid & DPs @Kwirky - I didn't really know what all the numbers meant at first but the later comparison after they were put in the freezer was very clear - thanks!

Glad I jumped on this - now OOS at my store so saved $8 delivery.
ETA: Store phoned saying OOS - but free shipping on min $50 orders so can just get this delivered! Note shipping charge shows but once you choose your shipper (courier or CP), the shipping charge is deducted.

cheers,
Last edited by klamchowder on Apr 18th, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2004
436 posts
176 upvotes
Madstinge wrote: I've used a similar lithium jump starter on my trolling motor and it did work but completely destroyed the cells after and it stopped working. So I'd only use it in an emergency as it might break after.
Good to know. I have a deep cycle battery I use when using my trolling motor specifically, but it is heavy and cumbersome, so not ideal for "just in case" use. How many times did you use the your jump starter on your trolling motor and at what level of thrust -- also what was the mAh rating and peak output of your jump starter? Interested to know the limitations of a jump starter as a backup for this purpose. For sure they are not designed for continuous output, but the higher the output rating (2000 peak for the Volcano 2000), the longer the circuitry should hold up under continuous use at a lower power output.

RFD is a great knowledge base!