Toronto

Princess Cruises suspends operations for 2 months

Ye wife is in me dms baby.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8960 posts
4806 upvotes
It must be tough for the cruise companies but I think this is probably a smart move. The savings of not running partially filled ships while dealing with continuing fears of outbreaks probably outweighs the reduced profits they might make during the same time.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10170 posts
1640 upvotes
Smart move, should have been done a bit sooner but it is the right move both financially and for the health of its passengers.

No reason to run risk of workers and guests and have cancellation and costs etc of running ships that may not be at capacity.

The industry is hurting with performers, servers etc all out of work, but in this crisis there is no real alternative since you want to reduce how fast it spreads
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7444 posts
3473 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Also get the brand name out of bad press.

FWIW, VIking did the same yesterday.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5013 posts
1618 upvotes
Mississauga
Disney Cruise Line stopping operation till end of the month as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4366 upvotes
Just the Princess line is shutting down but not the rest of the Carnival portfolio? Theoretically the chances of catching a virus is much worse on a Carnival ship given how many more people they cram in (via smaller cabins and larger vessels overall).
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11234 posts
6275 upvotes
Markham
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Just the Princess line is shutting down but not the rest of the Carnival portfolio? Theoretically the chances of catching a virus is much worse on a Carnival ship given how many more people they cram in (via smaller cabins and larger vessels overall).
Either they shut down or no customer, same thing
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2651 posts
1880 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
All Med ports are closed.

They have disembarked some MSC Cruises early (very large ships- italian / swiss owned) and sent all crew & pax home. Happened suddenly today in Barcelona as new passengers embarked and then an announcement was made everyone had to disembark by 11.

Have to find the article but saw it on RAI news
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20055 posts
17924 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Disney, Viking and Virgin Voyages also announced today they are “pausing” for Coronovirus

Like @EastGTARedFlagger I am surprised that thus far it’s just Princess ... considering they are owned by Carnival Corp the largest Cruise Co in the world ...

They certainly have other lines in their portfolio that would be just as much at risk ... if not more ... due to home ports or the demographics they serve :
AIDA - Carnival - Costa - Cunard - Holland America - Princess - P&O - Seabourn

I expect to see Royal Caribbean Corp, and Norwegian follow suit soon

Especially in light of all the high profile health officials saying a Cruise right now is a bad choice ... that’s certainly not good for Biz, or alleviate fears

I am predicting we will see a real slowdown in the cruise Biz cuz of all this that will play out over the next 6 months to 2 years (anyone’s guess how long) ... and there will be mega sales in the aftermath to try to win customers back
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8960 posts
4806 upvotes
It seems to me that now is the time for most everyone to take a time out because everyone else is taking a time out. In other words, by all taking our time out at the SAME TIME we should be able to stop the spread of this thing much faster than if we allow it to keep lurking and spreading while not being able to truly quarantine people. It seems that the self-isolation system is not enough to stop the spread. It is still concerning to me that flights are arriving in Canada daily from virus hotspots and it appears that we are not really taking any precautionary members to protect the national population from what might be coming in with these flights. I guess in the end our statistics will speak for themselves and be a true measure of how well we were able to manage this problem. Personally, I like Israel's approach where anyone coming into the country must be quarantined for 14 days before entering the population. It is drastic but protective and I am guessing that their statistics will reflect this as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7444 posts
3473 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Costa shut down from today until 3 April. Probably begrudgingly because Italy is home for them.

Parent Carnival still prefers you to go on Carnival (via BC bribes). I standby my statement that Carnival Corp (and RCL and Norwegian) will only suspend cruises if it hurts their image or if they have to.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ep-sailing
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1437 posts
539 upvotes
Oakville
My Mediterranean cruise is still slotted to sail mid-May as it's just outside the cancellation window.

I have the option to cancel before March 31 for a future cruise credit. I inquired with the booking TA the logistics of canceling. Next day I was given a cabin upgrade of several categories lol.

Cruise was in high demand and sold out early. Currently my initially booked cabin category is selling for 60% of what I paid.

On another note, back in 2012 I bought 100 shares of CCL (Carnival Cruise Lines) for US$32 after the Costa Concordia disaster to get the shareholder OBC's. I watched the share price go as high as US$70. It's currently trading around US$17.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20055 posts
17924 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As of yesterday ...
Royal Caribbean Corp (RCL - Celebrity - Azamara) and Norwegian Cruise Lines announced they would suspend their US Cruises for 30 Days

Then after the US Govt made an appeal for all cruise lines with US Ports of call to do the same
MSC & Carnival Corp (AIDA - Carnival - Costa - Cunard - Holland America - Princess - P&O - Seabourn) followed suit

The PAUSE in operations varies by cruise line

With some announcing 30 Days (until mid April)
With others extending that out to the end of April, or beyond

Each Cruiseline has also stated on their websites what their compensation rate will be

With most offering 100% Refund ... or a 125% Future Cruise Credit

IF YOU HAVE A CRUISE UPCOMING ... check your Cruise Cos website for how to proceed / process a claim

So all in, much easier to deal with than say the airlines during these changing times in light of Coronovirus travel
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8960 posts
4806 upvotes
I heard that Vancouver will not allow any cruise ships to dock here until July 2020. I think this is the first positive move I have seen on this front to protect our citizens.