Prioritize My Home Renovation Tasks

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 10:52 am
[OP]
Sep 18, 2019
904 posts
776 upvotes

Prioritize My Home Renovation Tasks

With the 4 home renovation tasks below, which one I should do first and last. Can you help me to put them in order? I have a semi-detach with 2000 sq

Renovate front porch and new door (include demolition of the existing concrete porch and steps)
Replace carpet with hardwood floor
Renovate kitchen and bathroom
Paint the whole house inside.

Thanks in advance
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Do the easiest first so you can get them out of the way quick and feel that you accomplished something. Tackling the big stuff like kitchen and bath will be huge and suck up your time, effort and money which you may not have the energy to do the rest if you start with the big stuff first.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6946 posts
2894 upvotes
Do whatever would you make you happiest to come home and see every day.

Do them all in order of most to least.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4469 posts
3852 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you're running flooring into the kitchen, or changing the layout of the floor, they're all independent of each other.

Biggest bang for the buck will be paint - a fresh coat of paint (including trim) is always great.

Otherwise, flooring, then kitchen and bathrooms (major expense). A new front door will be an easy $3,500 or so, and reworking your steps probably a couple grand more.
May 25, 2020
52 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
Do the kitchen in the summer, easier to BBQ outside while your kitchen is unusable

Other than that I agree with all of the other comments
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1301 posts
800 upvotes
GTA
paint before you change the floor. also consider putting in new trim and mouldings along with the new floor
Mar 10, 2004
799 posts
292 upvotes
I guess it depends on your timeline. Assuming you will be there for a while i would do the bigger items 1st as they can impact the smaller items. I would do the front porch and door 1st. Then kitchen. Then bathroom. Then flooring. Then painting.
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
My thinking is to do indoor work first - reason being you will be bringing lots of stuff in and out of the front door/up and down porch. There is a chance the door could get dinged up, whether it be from an appliance delivery or just bringing lots of stuff in and out. If you wait till the end to do the door, then you don't have to worry as much about damaging it while the other work goes on.

My personal order would be:

1) paint
2) kitchen and bathroom
3) floors
4) front door and porch

Then at the end, paint touch ups for walls, baseboards.

Edit: thought about it more... I'd swap 1 and 2, so bath/kitchen first then paint 2nd.
Last edited by gfnstew on Jul 29th, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8167 posts
5084 upvotes
Mississauga
Do the painting/trim last. Any major indoor renos going on run the risk of scratching/denting/wrecking walls.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2236 posts
1257 upvotes
GTA
All depends on if this is DIY or you're hiring out the work.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2019
904 posts
776 upvotes
Thanks for everyone's input. I can see we all have difference preference.

What will be your order if I am hiring people to do the work?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2236 posts
1257 upvotes
GTA
This would be my order of operations if you're hiring out.

1. Kitchen & Bathroom
2. Replace Carpet with hardwood floor
3. Paint the house.

This one does not specifically affect the others as it is outside, but you can't renovate the interior if your front porch is torn up so you either do this first or after all the others are done - Renovate front porch and new door (include demolition of the existing concrete porch and steps)

Reason for my order. Kitchen & Bathroom = tearing out stuff, possibly down to the studs, so it'll make a mess. You don't want new hardwood to get damaged during the renovations. Paint is always finishing work, so do the dirty, messy stuff first and then paint afterwards to finish it all off and make it clean and fresh.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1956 posts
1689 upvotes
GTA
Sunway wrote: Renovate front porch and new door (include demolition of the existing concrete porch and steps)
Replace carpet with hardwood floor
Renovate kitchen and bathroom
Paint the whole house inside.
The real question is are you hiring these out, or are you going DIY some of them.

The front porch and door are basically completely independent of everything else. Sure when you demo stuff you *could* mark up a new front door, but lets assume whoever is doing the work is competent.

As others have said, it makes a lot more sense to do the kitchen and bathroom first, as this probably causes the most destruction and traffic. If you can just not worry about your floors being impacted, all the better.

In regards to the flooring vs painting, I think this just depends on DIY vs hiring, and what everyones schedule looks like. I'll just assume that new baseboard is going in, and that it will need to be filled and painted.

Also, what timeline are these tasks being completed in? If you're going to reno your kitchen and bathroom, you probably can't really stay in your house all that much, so could just do a portion of the other work while you're at it. Just depends on timeline and more so budget.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)