• Apr 22nd, 2020 6:40 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
14 posts
1 upvote
Montreal

privacy in backyard

hello!

Since summer months are coming up, I am looking at how to get more privacy in my backyard for the best price..I have a pool and I like to have a bit more privacy than what I currently have.

I have fencing like in the picture attached but they are see through (almost).. how can I block this off?

Second issue is, all 3 of my neighbors have elevated balconies, so my backyard practically has no privacy despite the fencing. What do you suggest, given my yard is actually not that large.

Thanks in advance!

26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3215 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Can't do anything about your neighbor's elevated decks, aside from building your own, and then erecting a wall on the deck facing the neighbor.

Put up the tallest fence you're allowed to, but bottom line is small lots = no privacy. My lot in the Junction is 17 feet wide and the houses are 3 stories tall. Everybody can see everything. Just gotta suck it up.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
Need to see some pics of your actual yard. Lots of narrow evergreen options out there, obviously they will need some years to grow to block anything out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13083 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
This is why most people who have big backyard pools opt for hedges
Municipalities have height restrictions on fences
Be that 6, 7 or 8 feet high
There are very few limitations on hedges / vegetation
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1658 posts
1338 upvotes
AriM69445 wrote: hello!

Since summer months are coming up, I am looking at how to get more privacy in my backyard for the best price..I have a pool and I like to have a bit more privacy than what I currently have.

I have fencing like in the picture attached but they are see through (almost).. how can I block this off?

Second issue is, all 3 of my neighbors have elevated balconies, so my backyard practically has no privacy despite the fencing. What do you suggest, given my yard is actually not that large.

Thanks in advance!
Check with your municipality as to what can be installed over the pool. Some 20 years ago I knew a guy who had a large inground pool and wanted privacy from his close by neighbors. So he installed a steel hangar over the pool.

Something similar to this.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
14 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
and how are these with wasps? do they attract nests?
Apr 8, 2013
126 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
You might also consider Hybrid Willows – they can grow up to 8’ per year. The only challenge is that they are deciduous and won’t provide year round privacy. They may not look as nice as a fully grown cedar / evergreen hedge.

Another option to consider is the Thuja Green Giant, an evergreen shrub that can grow up to 3’ per year.
May 22, 2007
484 posts
253 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Build a wooden frame of PT 4x4 posts and PT lattice - 8 ft tall and plant virginia creeper, it grows like wildfire and you cannot see through it and it looks good.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
14 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
You can see the images below.

The tree on the left is not growing at all but I'm assuming it was planted to block the neighbor on the left hand side.

As you can see you can see right through my dark brown fencing..maybe I should add a tarp or something..
Images
  • 20200404_090424.jpg
  • 20200404_090358.jpg
  • 20200404_090329.jpg
  • 20200404_090406.jpg
  • 20200404_091555.jpg
  • 20200404_091833.jpg
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, I have never seen a pool in such a densely built up spot! Sorry OP but I think you are not going to be able to achieve what you want. You need a 20 foot barrier to keep those top floors out of sight lines and no space to plant trees. In any case, it would take 30 years for trees to grow to the size you need anyway.

No more skinny dipping unless you're into the whole voyeur scene.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3215 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Straight off in the area by the clothesline pole, I'd take out a chunk of that concrete and put in more trees/shrubs/plants to soften the place up a bit. The summer photos look not too bad.

I'd raise the height of the wood fence section - it looks shorter than you might be allowed. All along the chainlink fence I'd plant vines etc. You might consider slicing 8" of the concrete out of there too. Not sure how tree roots potentially impact inground pools - never had a pool.

I'm sure in the corner with the shed/clothesline, there might be some creative pergola/sail type setup you could put in pretty simply to provide some shade and privacy in that area, but you'll never create a spot in the yard that is completely private from all sides.

Never thought about it before, but they seem to be a 'thing' people do.

[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
14 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
I like some of your suggestions there..

How would one go about raising their fences though. I think I need to speak to the neighbor as it's shared fencing but my neighbor is renting his place out so he couldn't care less.

Also, I like those triangles but I need to be careful not to block the sun too much..
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13083 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
AriM69445 wrote: I like some of your suggestions there..

How would one go about raising their fences though. I think I need to speak to the neighbor as it's shared fencing but my neighbor is renting his place out so he couldn't care less.

Also, I like those triangles but I need to be careful not to block the sun too much..
Difficult to raise fences ...as there are Municipal Bylaws that set the height restriction

But USUALLY nothing wrong with adding a tall poll on your side of the fence / property to attach the sails to as illustrated by pics # 2 & # 4 that @torontotim posted in Reply # 14 above (again you’d have to check bylaws)

Alternatively, you can attach the sails to preexisting structures like a fence, or your house
As shown in pics # 1 & # 4

One company that makes these sails is Coolaroo ... they made a wide assortment of outdoor shades & blinds
Extremely good quality
And available at Lee Valley, Lowe’s, Home Depot etc

There are of course other Cos.
Some even with a big Cdn presence ... like ShelterLogic

Again, you’ll find a wide assortment of products at the Big Box DIY Stores
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3215 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
AriM69445 wrote: I like some of your suggestions there..

I've never looked at them, but I'd imagine they come in a variety of fabrics which allow lots of light to pass through while at the same time obscuring/blurring the view from onlookers. A mix of materials, colors and strategic placement should improve things a lot. I mean as much as you want some of your neighbors' views blocked, I'd imagine it would be nice to not be looking at them from your vantage point either.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12475 posts
7252 upvotes
Markham
Those houses all around you are 3 storeys tall. Only fix to your problem is likely to move IMO because once you do something, it might be OK for a while and then one of you neighbour wants to do it and eventually someone complains and they will reference your property and so eventually it all comes down.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1395 posts
110 upvotes
Ontario
What are some other evergreen or thin trees that can make a good 8-10’ high fence. I’ve seen hybrid poplars being popular.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
14 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
I think in my case I need to know what I can plant right next to the pool so that I don't damage it. It's like 2 feet away.

I checked with the city..I can go as high as 7.5 ft or so with hedges in my backyard.