Private Health insurance- help

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 10:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2015
6 posts
Toronto, ON

Private Health insurance- help

Hello, was hoping someone could help me with this.
So I recently signed up for individual green shield health insurance on 14th July.
I was informed that my insurance coverage would only take effect in August. But I would be billed on the day I signed up for the month of August.
I was also told that on August 1st I would be billed for the month of September and so on. Basically they would bill me in advance.
I realized that I did not want this coverage anymore and when I called in to cancel today I was told that I had already paid for September, soI would have coverage until then.
They also told me that since I did not call in 10 business days prior to the next payment date I would also be billed on September 1st for the month of October since this was stated in the their benefit booklet.
I informed them that I don’t want to be billed on September 1 , it’s a pre authorized credit card payment, they said it was too late for that and there was no way to prevent that.
I asked to escalate the matter and I am awaiting a call from a manager.
Is this legal. If I want to cancel my service today, August 28th, shouldn’t I get a refund for September and also not be billed on September 1st.
Do I have to pay for insurance that I don’t need.
I understand that they cannot stop payment at such short notice , but then I should be refunded for September and October.
It’s pre authorized on my credit card. , will it affect my credit score if I cancel my credit card.please advise.
4 replies
Jun 10, 2016
374 posts
271 upvotes
Brampton
what do the terms and conditions you signed say??
[OP]
Jan 13, 2015
6 posts
Toronto, ON
The booklet I received says 10 days notice before payment date is required. Just 1 line. But the rep that signed me up stated that as long as I call in before the payment date I would not be charged.
They told me they cannot stop payment unless I give 10 business days notice and I asked them to refund me but they are refusing.
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
74 posts
33 upvotes
icarus5148 wrote: Hello, was hoping someone could help me with this.
So I recently signed up for individual green shield health insurance on 14th July.
I was informed that my insurance coverage would only take effect in August. But I would be billed on the day I signed up for the month of August.
I was also told that on August 1st I would be billed for the month of September and so on. Basically they would bill me in advance.
I realized that I did not want this coverage anymore and when I called in to cancel today I was told that I had already paid for September, soI would have coverage until then.
They also told me that since I did not call in 10 business days prior to the next payment date I would also be billed on September 1st for the month of October since this was stated in the their benefit booklet.
I informed them that I don’t want to be billed on September 1 , it’s a pre authorized credit card payment, they said it was too late for that and there was no way to prevent that.
I asked to escalate the matter and I am awaiting a call from a manager.
Is this legal. If I want to cancel my service today, August 28th, shouldn’t I get a refund for September and also not be billed on September 1st.
Do I have to pay for insurance that I don’t need.
I understand that they cannot stop payment at such short notice , but then I should be refunded for September and October.
It’s pre authorized on my credit card. , will it affect my credit score if I cancel my credit card.please advise.
Its totally illegal 1000% tbh. You can also dispute it thru your credit card company which will have to fight on your behalf. They will refund you the amount on the card and also bil the insurance company to get whatever amount they refunded you. Which insurance company is this? I have a neighbor who is currently looking for private medical insurance and she is shocked at all the terms and conditions etc.

If i were you, i would contact a good law firm who deals with claims with medical insurance and definitely sue for damages... Youd be surprised just how much this happens to a lot of people and what suing will do to help your own pocket and help change scummy tactics that are blantantly illegal by these big companies, especially insurance companies.

PM me for more details...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8554 posts
2328 upvotes
Mississauga
icarus5148 wrote: The booklet I received says 10 days notice before payment date is required. Just 1 line. But the rep that signed me up stated that as long as I call in before the payment date I would not be charged. They told me they cannot stop payment unless I give 10 business days notice and I asked them to refund me but they are refusing.
I feel for your situation but if the booklet said they cannot stop payment unless you give 10 business days notice then I think your stuck. Looks like the rep wanted to make a sale and told you what you wanted to hear. Ask if they have a recording of the call.