Private Internet Access VPN: 3-Yr Subscription US$60

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 11:20 pm
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1209 posts
647 upvotes
Ajax
Pavel wrote: Obviously you haven't been paying attention. I am basing my comment by my experience and independent review sites.
Your post contained gossip and fear mongering with a biased review. Again I will stick to MY REAL WORLD experience and consider yours as irrelevent gossip.
Let's stay on topic and avoid scaring people away from PIA VPN. If you are so negative against the company and service why are you even here commenting? Don't listen to this guy. Please try VPN for yourselves as his review is biased. He clearly has some personal issues that he needs to come to terms with.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2001
1444 posts
139 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Purchased and going through merging account process now.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1675 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
Pavel wrote: By using SOCKS, your speeds will be faster when torrenting but third parties know what you're downloading. Don't be surprised if you get a copyright infringement letter.
I’m using SOCKS while still leaving the VPN connected. That should be fine, right? I’m still new to all this.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13261 posts
7021 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Pavel wrote: Not usually. However, your ISP can monitor your activities when using SOCKS5,
I tried to do some reading on SOCKS5, I’m still not clear as the VPN is always running along side it (if it’s employed). The kill switch has worked for years, I haven’t come back to see the network running and the VPN off. This is a computer that does no browsing. How does my ISP monitor that machine’s activities if both are running?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Curious, by using SOCKS5, do people end up revealing their true IP even if they’re behind a VPN?
Your bittorrent program might not have implemented socks5 properly, leading to leak IP address even when it's on. It happened with uTorrent for years before they kinda fixed it. Running a VPN session is safest. There is little point in running socks5 with your vpn on. It'll be slow as hell.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
And in case you were wondering, a certain well known ISP advertising on RFD does monitor your traffic, but mainly only if you complain about their speeds. They have the means of looking at what you're doing and aren't shy about it.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13261 posts
7021 upvotes
Southern Ontario
badOne wrote: Your bittorrent program might not have implemented socks5 properly, leading to leak IP address even when it's on. It happened with uTorrent for years before they kinda fixed it. Running a VPN session is safest. There is little point in running socks5 with your vpn on. It'll be slow as hell.
Alright, I’ll leave it off then, thanks. Either way, speed has never been a priority for us.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41492 posts
6511 upvotes
Debating between this and CyberGhost.
Proud to be an Indian.
1209 posts
647 upvotes
Ajax
djemzine wrote: Debating between this and CyberGhost.
Stay far away from cyberghost. I was with them for 2 years prior to PIA and speeds were terrible.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41492 posts
6511 upvotes
covabwoy wrote: Stay far away from cyberghost. I was with them for 2 years prior to PIA and speeds were terrible.
Thanks for the heads up. How recent was this?

That being said, is Private VPN better than Nord?

Others I’ve heard of that are promoted heavily is Express VPN.
Proud to be an Indian.
1209 posts
647 upvotes
Ajax
djemzine wrote: Thanks for the heads up. How recent was this?

That being said, is Private VPN better than Nord?

Others I’ve heard of that are promoted heavily is Express VPN.
It's not recent. Prob about 3 years ago.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41492 posts
6511 upvotes
covabwoy wrote: It's not recent. Prob about 3 years ago.
Oh okay. Ya I guess its just a decision between the four. Nord, PrivateVPN, CyberGhost and Express VPN. I do have VPN from work, but I'd rather not use that lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 25, 2003
4607 posts
6283 upvotes
Vancouver
AncasterRFD wrote: I tried to do some reading on SOCKS5, I’m still not clear as the VPN is always running along side it (if it’s employed). The kill switch has worked for years, I haven’t come back to see the network running and the VPN off. This is a computer that does no browsing. How does my ISP monitor that machine’s activities if both are running?
Let me jump in here and make a few points, hoping to help in understanding of the process:

Your ISP cannot monitor your activities if you are using encrypted VPN connection that is working properly. All they can do is measuring the volume of your traffic but could not differentiate between, say, 4K video streaming and torrenting.

If your VPN is working as it should, it protects you well enough in the most of situations.

In case of Torrenting it would help a lot if your VPN of choice also allows for Port Forwarding. This would make you accessible to all the peers and highly improve your torrenting speed. Also your Up/Download Ratio will suffer greatly if you don't have P.F. enabled. Again, without Port Forwarding yes, you will be able to download Torrents, but at lower speeds and with bad Ratio [if it's important to you].

SOCKS5 will be faster at the expense of some security. This protocol will not encrypt your traffic so it will be faster, but obvious to your ISP that you are torrentig. And no, ISP will NOT KNOW what exactly you are downloading.... Linux ISO or some new movie... BUT - if they have such policy in place - they could throttle your traffic tho...

And lastly - if you want an 100% sure Kill switch while torrenting - bind your Torrent client to your VPN IP Address! [You will have to Google this; it is simple but depends on the Torrent client you are using]. Basically it is done in Torrent app advanced settings. In case that VPN craps on you for whatever reason, Torrent client will not be able to re-establish outgoing connection. I learned this lesson the hard way [see my post above.]

EDIT: Oh, BTW, to answer your question: VPN and SOCKS5 are two different entities; even if provided by the same VPN provider they connect to 2 different servers [most often different log-in and password as well.] SO no, if you run VPN SOCKS5 will not run automatically, and the other way around...
Last edited by max011 on Jun 2nd, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)