Expired Hot Deals

Private Internet Access VPN: 3-Yr Subscription US$60

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 11:20 pm
Jul 15, 2009
455 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
dealxtremeleecher wrote: I run SOCKS5 and VPN at the same time for a fail safe. Is that ok? does it deteriorate protection?

Asking because this site said to use SOCKS5 and the VPN at the same time. So if my VPN is on can my ISP still see what I'm doing because of the SOCKS5?
For the love of god, don't do this. Ugh. Just use a VPN. Adding a SOCKS proxy on top of that will NOT increase your security AT ALL and will just add hellish latency and exponentially increase the likelihood of dropped connections. It literally makes my head hurt to think about it. Don't do it.

The "best" way to run a torrent client through a VPN is to use something like Binhex's deluge-vpn docker. Basically it runs the torrent client in a network isolated docker container that can only access the internet through a second gateway container running the openVPN client. If the VPN tunnel drops, your torrent client automatically loses internet connection. Even if someone somehow manages to hack into your torrent client (e.g. through a torrent client vulnerability) it won't reveal your IP address because the container the torrent client is in doesn't know your real IP (the isolated container only sees your internal LAN IP). Best of all, Binhex's docker automatically maintains connection to your chosen server, requests port forwarding (if using PIA), and automatically sets deluge to use the correct forwarded port. Awesome!

Last edited by anatman on Jun 5th, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4528 posts
6152 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: Not sure where you get this information. Many people use a workplace provided VPN to gain access to the work network.
These are huge numbers of VPN users, and that is exactly for protection…
Pavel wrote: The vast majority (there's always exceptions) use a paid VPN for Netflix, P2P, and gaining access to geo-restricted content. If people were using a premium VPN just for protection, there are many decent free VPN options out there that do this well, which keep logs of course.
…also geolocation spoofing might be for protection as well. Even these free VPN would be used for protection… and very small numbers – compared to the majority mentioned above – are using VPN for torrenting and netflixing. So use of protection dominates. Which is irrelevant and off topic anyways.
Pavel wrote: If you're one of those people who access the dark and deep web, then of course you need a premium VPN.
You are confused here.
First, “Deep Web” and the” Dark Web” are two different things.
Second, you mistaking VPN connection for anonymity. And for [never a 100%] anonymity you need Tor, not VPN. Using Tor through the VPN helps tho.

Anyways, it’s all off topic, I’m out.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1659 upvotes
Is stacksocial canadian?

So basically I jut sign up, buy it through stacksocial and I get a login/pass?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4367 posts
1628 upvotes
GTA
Pavel wrote: Correct. One will only have a different IP address but there's no encryption. So what's the point then? Your data is not secure.

In summary. It's simply dumb to use SOCKS5. No reputable VPN provider (who has SOCKS5 support) will recommend using SOCKS5 for P2P, However, it seems many people these days like to have options so they want this feature.
This is all dependent on what the threat is. SOCKS5 is good enough in a lot of cases. Encryption is not necessarily needed with bittorrent.

People need to stop spreading the idea about how it's the ISP who is the one tracking your bittorrent activity when it's actually the agencies acting on the copyright holders behalf. They do this by joining the torrent swarm and collecting IP addresses which is why SOCKS5 works fine and also why encryption plays no part in protecting you here.

VPN is indeed better in general compared to a SOCKS5. But SOCKS5 can be just fine and can be more convenient to use.
Dec 11, 2008
879 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
My account shows as "Trial". Should I be concerned?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41266 posts
6435 upvotes
RFD_Paul wrote: My account shows as "Trial". Should I be concerned?
Same here but shows it expires next year. I signed up for a year membership
Proud to be an Indian.
103 posts
64 upvotes
vancouver
I bought a $15 Humble Bundle last year and PIA was one of the programs included. It has 20 days left and I bought the Fastestvpd for $20 lifetime to replace it.

It also said trial but worked fine including a couple of updates.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13030 posts
6849 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Mine does too but it expires in 2024, not to worry.
Sep 25, 2007
82 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
are you refering to unblock-us? I thought it no longer worked on US netflix? Again, i want to set up the ip on the modum/router.
TeateaM wrote: Yes, with a VPN from Richmond Hill, Ontario. It works on my Samsung TV's, Windows computers, Android tablets and phones. I never had a single outage on US Netflix since October 2018. Speed is about 70 mbps (when connected router-based to ISPNet LLC ) on a 75/10 internet service. I also have IvacyVPN and FastestVPN but they don't support US Netflix very well.
Jan 29, 2013
78 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
aquariaguy wrote: Is stacksocial canadian?

They are based in the US I believe - prices are in USD

So basically I jut sign up, buy it through stacksocial and I get a login/pass?
You get a code and go to PIA website to enter this code to sign up there to get login/pass
Feb 23, 2014
897 posts
430 upvotes
hmm, doesn't seem to work with the NHL app - it still comes up with the Rogers branding, so I'm guessing blackouts will apply for Canucks games.
Oct 1, 2013
869 posts
837 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Got an email today that my accounts have merged. Basically, the end result is that my existing account has been extended by 3 years, and the newly created account is deleted. I had to send them info about the old account, and the purchase code from the deal after creating a new account off of it.
ahammad wrote: Just to confirm, these are the steps from my understanding:
  1. Create a new account and redeem the code
  2. Send an email to support with the following info: new account, old account, and the code used to redeem the deal
Is that correct? I am guessing this is not a typical thing they do, so they don't have the option on the webpage and must go through support...
dpw198 wrote: To confirm, I was able to merge my existing account with the 3 years I just purchased. They needed the activation # from Stack Social in order to merge the accounts.
Sopranos wrote: Thanks OP.

PIA merged my existing account into the new one, no issues. Looks like they knew exactly what was happening and they were quite fast.
rejeanc wrote: Got it Thanks.

They merge to my existing account.
What does your account show for the renewal price? Right now I'm on the $29 USD a year rate and don't want to lose that but also this offer for 3 years is too good to pass up.

If I purchase the code do I need to activate it right away? I still have 144 days left on my current subscription.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1025 posts
476 upvotes
GTA
dealxtremeleecher wrote: What does your account show for the renewal price? Right now I'm on the $29 USD a year rate and don't want to lose that but also this offer for 3 years is too good to pass up.

If I purchase the code do I need to activate it right away? I still have 144 days left on my current subscription.
Mine doesn’t have a renewal price so it will renew at the then prevailing market price.

You have 1 month to activate the new code but you VP can just ask PIA customer service to add it to your existing account so you don’t lose your days remaining.

The way I see it is that there will be another sale in 3 yrs time. I’ve been buying renewals from various sales other past couple of years and the deals have been pretty good so I’m not worried about keeping an existing rate.
Oct 26, 2015
561 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto,ON
When does this promo expire?
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(