Expired Hot Deals

Private Internet Access VPN: 3-Yr Subscription US$60

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 11:20 pm
Feb 23, 2014
882 posts
415 upvotes
artofwar wrote: Are you watching US-Based netflix in Canada with PIA? Are you watching through your pc browser, smartphone/tablet or android TV? How are the speeds for streaming US-Based video? (1080p or 4k? consistent speeds?)
Yep. Browser. Can we get this through Android TV? I'll have to check. I know I can't get it working on my Apple TV.
Speed is shit. I have Shaw 150 and I'm getting 3.1 mb/s
Feb 19, 2018
107 posts
74 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Thoughts on PIA vs NordVPN?
Mar 26, 2008
58 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah I was running this on shield and a minix, like other users have mentioned, you can usually find a source to watch US Netflix.
Dec 26, 2018
58 posts
67 upvotes
@qrosbmi: https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/296955/th ... n-services

I've been running PIA for a while for security/privacy purposes rather than accessing blocked content and since I haven't seen anyone indicate its suitability for that purpose, my personal experience is that it's a bit of a mixed bag. In general it works fine and is surprisingly fast (I have Bell 50Mb; it typically peaks at 70-75Mb for some reason, I just did a speed test which came out at 53Mb/s with VPN enabled through Toronto; I'm generally connected to Toronto; I'll occasionally connect to Montreal or Chicago as necessary) but I do experience minor issues daily with general Internet use. Redirections (as when clicking links in RFD) work maybe 75% of the time, the rest come back with a connection issue like "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at go.redirectingat.com". Canadian Youtube sometimes won't play videos when the VPN is enabled with various different areas (not available in your country, video not available, etc). Other times, the VPN (even Toronto) will allow viewing of videos that are regionally blocked when the VPN is disabled. It's odd. There are also sites and services that simply block access from VPNs with a suitable message. I'm generally unable to send e-mail from a desktop client due to blocked IP addresses although occasionally they go through. Receiving e-mails works fine.

Regardless, though, disabling the VPN temporarily is trivial via the UI and has resolved any of those issues that I can recall. Re-enabling it afterward generally works fine once I have access to the page I was originally accessing or after sending an e-mail.

If I was to start over I'd probably go with NordVPN but PIA has been a generally positive experience and it's certainly better than not running a VPN at all.
May 20, 2019
45 posts
33 upvotes
Sorrylol wrote: Anyone know if the 3 years would stack on top of a current subscription? Have a few months left on my current one.
If anyone knows the answer I'm curious too. I already have a PIA subscription and this is a great deal
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12509 posts
6356 upvotes
Southern Ontario
supad00pz wrote: If anyone knows the answer I'm curious too. I already have a PIA subscription and this is a great deal
PIA live chat, they do that by creating a unique to you trial account adding your remaining days with 1095 days, setting an expiry in the future, therefore it’ll also be a new login and password.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1387 upvotes
Toronto
Wrestlemania wrote: Attention everyone who's interested in using a VPN for netflix/hulu.

Register with Torguard and sign up for their VPN and dedicated IP service. I'd suggest a group buy, because you're allowed up to five connections.
How is their speed?
Multi Millionaire in Points
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1617 posts
917 upvotes
condo
https://stacksocial.com/sales/private-i ... on-3-years#

Seems like the OP's link has some sort of advertisement or referral (?) embedded at the end of the link...

The one I just posted was taken straight from the webpage and it seems different. Could there be some sort of referral going on here?... Just wondering and a FYI... Seems like it's an 'aID' = advertisement? vs a 'rID' = referral?
Last edited by tmonies on May 26th, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2016
80 posts
31 upvotes
Alberta
My sub also expiring in a few months (previous 2 yr deal aug/2017) and would like to like to jump on this. Emailed support just to confirm what others have stated and it does appear that PIA will in fact extend/merge your remaining months to a new PIA account. PIA's reply to my inquiry:

"Thank you for contacting PIA customer support. I hope all is well and I'll be happy to offer what information I can today. Yes, if you take advantage of this deal please redeem it under the same email as your active account and provide us the below verification for the new purchase. (and please provide it for the older purchase as well if you still have the code.)

After redeeming your new account on our site please provide the 16 digit License ID. It would look similar to "1234-5678-9012-3456."

Once we receive this, we will be happy to proceed with your request.

Regards,
Jon S.Customer Support Agent"
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12509 posts
6356 upvotes
Southern Ontario
So as suggested, my kids are watching US NF again, except they’ve removed all the Disney TV shows, probably because DN+ is coming. D’s really gonna take a chunk off NF being cheaper and all the parents with them. Or people will have both.

Is there an easy way to check which city will work? When NF cuts out, I usually just put it back to off and wait til I stumble onto a working US one again.

Anyway, I find PIA is good for connecting to public networks, their app is pretty easy.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2004
734 posts
412 upvotes
Mississauga
tmonies wrote: https://stacksocial.com/sales/private-i ... on-3-years#

Seems like the OP's link has some sort of advertisement or referral (?) embedded at the end of the link...

The one I just posted was taken straight from the webpage and it seems different. Could there be some sort of referral going on here?... Just wondering and a FYI... Seems like it's an 'aID' = advertisement? vs a 'rID' = referral?
No Sir, I am not getting any referral credit.
Maybe I was logged into my Stack social account, therefore a different link!!
Nov 20, 2017
371 posts
516 upvotes
paul29m wrote: Anyone figure out how to get this running on an apple tv yet? I'm on Shaw with a Hitron? modem.
I tried getting one running on my apple router, turns out they hardcoded it to block using VPNs. The suggestions online were to flash a non-apple firmware that permits using VPNs. Grrr....
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1038 posts
512 upvotes
Ajax
AncasterRFD wrote: PIA live chat, they do that by creating a unique to you trial account adding your remaining days with 1095 days, setting an expiry in the future, therefore it’ll also be a new login and password.
They no longer seem to have a live chat option on their website.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)