Expired Hot Deals

Private Internet Access VPN: 3-Yr Subscription US$60

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 11:20 pm
Feb 23, 2014
938 posts
449 upvotes
Doesn't want to work with an apple TV. that's going to be a problem come hockey season. (I pay for NHL GameCenter and don't need all this Rogers shit, nor blackouts)

any good VPN work with Apple TV out there?

I could get a mac mini... and run it from there... but too expensive.
Jan 27, 2007
769 posts
203 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP.

PIA merged my existing account into the new one, no issues. Looks like they knew exactly what was happening and they were quite fast.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
1000 posts
109 upvotes
canucks4life wrote: OP tried to setup a group buy however a couple members backed out...if there is enough interest I might start one.
I’m down pm me
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4620 posts
6474 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: You all might want to consider Windscribe Premium. They often have flash promos. They even go so far as to state how many times they receive DMCA requests: https://windscribe.com/transparency
I would stay away from Windscribe. Very slow, very expensive and - most importantly - unreliable. Their "Kill switch" didn't work. [Posted about it in previous Windscribe threads..]
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1140 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
I’ve been on $31/year for a few years now and got the following from customer service when I asked for them to merge my accounts;

“Unfortunately, since you have had the account for some time now it is using an older version of Paypal's payment processing system which does not allow these types of changes (upgrades, extensions, etc.). I sincerely apologize for inconvenience this causes.

However, what we can do is merge the old account into your new one.”

I’m waiting to hear back what happens when the 3 years + remainder of my current subscription are up. Has anyone been in the same position?
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Dec 16, 2007
41 posts
220 upvotes
What's the name of the company?
TeateaM wrote: Yes, with a VPN from Richmond Hill, Ontario. It works on my Samsung TV's, Windows computers, Android tablets and phones. I never had a single outage on US Netflix since October 2018. Speed is about 70 mbps (when connected router-based to ISPNet LLC ) on a 75/10 internet service. I also have IvacyVPN and FastestVPN but they don't support US Netflix very well.
Nov 24, 2014
90 posts
61 upvotes
ndiniwachojeff wrote: I’ve been on $31/year for a few years now and got the following from customer service when I asked for them to merge my accounts;

“Unfortunately, since you have had the account for some time now it is using an older version of Paypal's payment processing system which does not allow these types of changes (upgrades, extensions, etc.). I sincerely apologize for inconvenience this causes.

However, what we can do is merge the old account into your new one.”

I’m waiting to hear back what happens when the 3 years + remainder of my current subscription are up. Has anyone been in the same position?
Same thing happened to me and here is what they told me:

"Assuming you would like to keep your legacy rate, the only option is to wait until the week of your renewal and get back in touch with us. We can then provide a link for you to make payment with the new PayPal or a different method and keep your username and legacy rate"
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1140 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
Dyklone wrote: Same thing happened to me and here is what they told me:

"Assuming you would like to keep your legacy rate, the only option is to wait until the week of your renewal and get back in touch with us. We can then provide a link for you to make payment with the new PayPal or a different method and keep your username and legacy rate"
I followed up and they told a similar thing;

"What will happen is the account will not auto-renew, but at the time of expiration we will offer you the ability to renew at your grandfathered pricing using a special link."

Accounts are now merged.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4620 posts
6474 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: They're not the worst, though. I find their speeds faster than PIA and they work with Netflix. They're not as "common" as PIA so they're no blocked as often. However, they have a limited number of servers. The most important thing to remember is they're inexpensive (when they have their deals) and worthy of a consideration. Their kill switch wont work on Socks5 and the protocol should be avoided.
However, when talking about WINDSCRIBE:

Their Kill switch didn't work through their own application. Nuff said, not worth considering. Unreliable. [Just imagine finding your torrent client connected to a few servers, unprotected, with Windscribe app turned off despite "Kill switch" being turned on... Would you give them a second chance? I didn't either.]

And actually it is VERY expensive; if you need Port Forwarding [and you do, if you want fast torrenting] it will cost you a lot. Must buy Static IP Address. [Their "free" PF is ridiculous with resetting every 24 hours. No, you can not reset it BEFORE the whole 24 hours passed...] Oh, if you figure out how to set it up in the first place... Which brings me to the next point: Customer support is non-existent. Except sporadic help trough their "fan base" on forums and Reddit. "Gary"??? What a joke. It's not even a Public Mobile type of "support" .

And every decent web site doing e-commerce [Staples, BestBuy, your bank...] will block your access. And if you turn their stupid "ROBERT" on, you will be hardly able to connect at all...

Not going to get into any arguments - just stating this from my [extensive] experience with Windscribe PRO, before I ditched them. Fortunately, wasted just $12 US for 3 years.

You've been warned.
Last edited by max011 on May 28th, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Dec 30, 2010
95 posts
55 upvotes
Nanaimo
Never had VPN before, but thinking of it now. The third-party seller concerns me. Would PIA's 7-day money-back guarantee still apply?

EDIT: "Unredeemed licenses can be returned for store credit within 15 days of purchase. Once your license is redeemed, all sales are final."

But upon reflection, it seems worth the gamble.
Last edited by dsjstc on May 28th, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1209 posts
647 upvotes
Ajax
Pavel wrote: I use a third party kill switch in addition to WIndscribe's. Everyone's needs are different. Most people don't need or use Port Forwarding. I got Windscribe at $1.00 a month for 12 months. They recently had a promo where you get 50 GB free for a year.

Sounds like you probably want a premium VPN like Express VPN. For others, they should do their research and read the reviews and comments here before committing to any VPN. And I would never suggest anyone buy an annual sub unless it's dirt cheap like the one I got.

As far as PIA goes. Here's something to keep in mind. The CTO of PIA is Mark Karpeles, a convicted criminal involved in the infamous Mt. Gox collapse and Bitcoin heist.
I've been with PIA for 6 years now. No issues whatsoever...please stop fear mongering. I would rather rely on real experience...
Mar 12, 2008
622 posts
119 upvotes
Windsor
Is PIA better than "Smartdnsproxy"? I have using this SmartDNS and it has been running quite good and they offered me one year for 17.99 US. Is this even worth switching?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
max011 wrote: However, when talking about WINDSCRIBE:

Their Kill switch didn't work through their own application. Nuff said, not worth considering. Unreliable. [Just imagine finding your torrent client connected to a few servers, unprotected, with Windscribe app turned off despite "Kill switch" being turned on... Would you give them a second chance? I didn't either.]

And actually it is VERY expensive; if you need Port Forwarding [and you do, if you want fast torrenting] it will cost you a lot. Must buy Static IP Address. [Their "free" PF is ridiculous with resetting every 24 hours. No, you can not reset it BEFORE the whole 24 hours passed...] Oh, if you figure out how to set it up in the first place... Which brings me to the next point: Customer support is non-existent. Except sporadic help trough their "fan base" on forums and Reddit. "Gary"??? What a joke. It's not even a Public Mobile type of "support" .

And every decent web site doing e-commerce [Staples, BestBuy, your bank...] will block your access. And if you turn their stupid "ROBERT" on, you will be hardly able to connect at all...

Not going to get into any arguments - just stating this from my [extensive] experience with Windscribe PRO, before I ditched them. Fortunately, wasted just $12 US for 3 years.

You've been warned.
PIA's kill switch is more reliable but isn't 100% either. I can make both windscribe and pia leak my real IP address through just 5 mins of testing on either one. On several computers with updated networking drivers. The trick is to use your windows firewall as a fail safe to allow access to your torrenting program only if it is in Windows Public network zone, and another rule to disable torrenting program if it is in your private network zone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)