Automotive

Private Parking: Ticket... should I pay?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 5:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2007
743 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Private Parking: Ticket... should I pay?

Last week I parked at a private parking lot and got a ticket.. however it is not from the city but some private company.

Now my understanding is it holds no legal obligation and really it is down to hte person if they pay or not.

Can anyone affirm this?

Do I need to pay this ticket?

Location was DT on a private lot. NOT issued from the CITY.
68 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6404 posts
57 upvotes
you have to pay it..they send credit companies after you...

Your best luck is to call the company and try to plea it down.
- Private Investigator...
[OP]
May 28, 2007
743 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
According to this.. Private parking tickets are illegal.

http://www.pragmatic.ca/2004/08/tdot-ba ... ckets.html

http://www.torontotamil.com/news/publis ... 1172.shtml

There is no way for Private Parking company to verify if the ticket is real or not.. if one was to oppose it.

The difference with the city hte ticket agents are sworn in city employees.

However I am not sure if ths city will help private companies collect $ via collections.. (providing motor/info)

Anyone?
Jul 7, 2005
685 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
throw it out.... got one of those lame tickets and just threw it out, nobody went after me and that was 2 years ago
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2034 posts
45 upvotes
It's not worth the paper it's printed on.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1727 posts
38 upvotes
Maple
if it is private, it use junk, as long as u dun park there again
it is fine
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
ygtgxi wrote: if it is private, it use junk, as long as u dun park there again
it is fine

+1

Most places have a time limit as to when you pay it. If you dont pay, just don't go there. But if you do and its been a while since you got the ticket, prepared to be towed
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7353 posts
1414 upvotes
Ottawa
I read in one of the citynews article that if the ticket is by Impark, that you have to pay?

EDIT: Link is here http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18649.aspx

"There is one exception to this rule - any tickets issued at Impark, which sports a red, white and black sign, are legal and you will have to pony up the money if you're fined at one of those spaces."
Jan 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote
i got a ticket at Waterloo University and i didn't pay it..... i would probably get anothe rone if i parked there again and i still won't pay them....

(as long as i don't transfer and study there....)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12435 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto
jeeva86 wrote: I read in one of the citynews article that if the ticket is by Impark, that you have to pay?

EDIT: Link is here http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18649.aspx

"There is one exception to this rule - any tickets issued at Impark, which sports a red, white and black sign, are legal and you will have to pony up the money if you're fined at one of those spaces."
Any reason why Impark is immune to the private ticket deal? Curious.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
32 upvotes
If you don't pay it and park there again, they might tow it (it is private property after all and you are technically trespassing)

If you never plan to go there again (or use another lot owned by the same company), just disregard it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Clish wrote: i got a ticket at Waterloo University and i didn't pay it..... i would probably get anothe rone if i parked there again and i still won't pay them....

That and you DON;t park there again, because they CAN tow you based on private property legal stuff..
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
153 upvotes
Clish wrote: i got a ticket at Waterloo University and i didn't pay it..... i would probably get anothe rone if i parked there again and i still won't pay them....

usually they tow your car when you have like ~5 tickets +

then they force you to pay your tow charge and all of the tickets at regular price. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1541 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Tomy wrote: usually they tow your car when you have like ~5 tickets +

then they force you to pay your tow charge and all of the tickets at regular price. :cheesygri
pfft.... RFD'er don't like paying regular price... Can I pricematch parking ticket with Toronto Parking Authority, pricematch towing with CAA, and pricematch impound lot fee with a storage facility? :cheesygri :lol:
Jan 21, 2008
14 posts
let's make this clear!

I have been given tickets by private companies, guess wt, I never paid it, never had any prob and im still parking at the same private place where it says unauthorized vehicle will be tagged or towed.
oh by the way iv been parking there for over 6 months now
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7353 posts
1414 upvotes
Ottawa
nissari wrote: let's make this clear!

I have been given tickets by private companies, guess wt, I never paid it, never had any prob and im still parking at the same private place where it says unauthorized vehicle will be tagged or towed.
oh by the way iv been parking there for over 6 months now
They could tow it if they wanted to, but don't they have to pay something also to get the tower down?
I guess, if you're causing more loss than the towing fees, they'll call em up?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2002
1432 posts
266 upvotes
Did some research on this and found this old thread, info regarding Calgary though:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-32349.html

Do a search, this topic came up awhile ago and someone posted a great story that Global did on this subject. This is from the global website.

Private Parking Rights
When someone receives a violation notice from a private parking company, they want to know two things:

Do you have to pay the violation fee?

Can the parking company tow your car from their lot?

Here's what you need to know.

This information does not pertain to public parking lots run by the Calgary Parking Authority.

There are two main private parking companies in Calgary: Imperial Parking (Impark) & Sterling Parking.

When you park in a "self-serve", hourly parking lot,(lots with ticket dispensers)you have to pay in advance for the amount of time you intend to park. You take the receipt(s) and place them inside your vehicle on the dashboard, face up.

Private parking companies hire attendants to patrol the lots and if the time on the receipt has expired or the receipt isn't visible, they will put a violation notice on your windshield.

It is not a ticket and can't be called a ticket. Only the Police or the City Parking Authority can issue tickets.

In the case of Impark, if you don't pay $37.45 within 7 days, the cost increases to $69.55 and if you ignore that you may be contacted by the City Collection Company.

In the case of a Sterling Parking notice, if you don't pay $30.00 within 72 hours, the violation fee increases to $65.00 and if you don't pay that you will hear from their collection company, Calgary City Collections.

Do you have to pay the violation fee?

You have parked on private property and as long as the rates are posted, it is your responsibility to read the terms and conditions and pay for the time you intend to park.

Since it's private property the parking companies can set their own penalties for anyone who parks without paying or exceeds their time limit.

However "the only way" they can collect the money is to sue you in Small Claims Court. It is a private matter between the parking company and you.

However our legal expert Don Dear, researched Small Claims cases and could not find a single case where a parking company won.

"We've looked across Canada for decisions where a court has said that a parker has to pay the penalty and we haven't been able to find any decision.

In fact all the decisions that we've found say just the opposite. Their penalty is to pay what they should have paid in the first place and nothing beyond that.

The damages suffered by the parking lot owner are the amount of whatever the parking charge was. So for example if you didn't pay your $1.25 for parking for that hour, your damages that you owe are $1.25, not some sort of penalty of $69.00 or whatever the amount is. So it is limited to what you were supposed to pay."

In the past, Impark and Sterling have admitted they don't go to Small Claims court to collect violation fees.

Instead they both say they use a collection agency to try and encouragement payment.

By the way the fee to file a Small Claims debt in Alberta is $100.

All this doesn't mean you shouldn't pay anything.

Our legal expert suggests you can offer to pay for the time you were overdue or at the very most the daily rate posted for that lot. (ie:$10 or $12)

Can the parking companies tow your car from their lot?

We have discussed this question with several lawyers, the Calgary City Police Traffic unit and the Calgary Parking Authority.

A private parking lot is private property and the operator has the right to tow a vehicle however the owner of the vehicle can't be forced to pay any of the towing costs.

If you show up while it is being towed, they have to drop it and give the vehicle to you without any charges. If they don't you can call the Police and report a theft.

If the vehicle is towed before you return and taken it to an impound lot, again they can't hold the vehicle and force the car owner to pay any of the towing or impound/storage charges.

The company which ordered the towing has to pay those costs and then go after the car owner in small claims court.

If the towing company refuses to return the car, the owner can call the police and have them charged with theft or tampering with a vehicle.

However if a car is parked illegally on private property, which means if it is violating a section of the Highway Traffic act or a City bylaw, then it could be tagged and towed by city police or parking control and then the car owner is responsible for all the costs.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
23 upvotes
Where does this apply? Is this true at parking lots like the one at sheppard and yonge behind the pizza pizza and many resturants?
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1271 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Well, in Toronto, our main municipal parking lot is called GreenP (hence the Green Ps most people would see around town), or the Toronto Parking Authority (TPA). Well, I work for them and I'm not totally sure about how it works here but, I know definitely it is nothing like a real ticket. Never any demerit points taken off if you do not pay, or any other kind of serious problem. In fact, a lot of 'scamming customers' if you will, not saying that they're bad customers because parking really is expensive in Toronto, I wouldn't pay either to be honest, they regularly make excuses up saying "Oh ****, I left my wallet at home..." or "I don't have any money on me..." etc. I've heard mixed responses of like, when it is time to renew your license, they have record of your private parking tickets and will force you to pay them or you cannot renew your license. I've also heard that that is false. So to be very honest, I'm not sure, just really sharing you what I know about in Toronto. Maybe you won't be in any kind of situation like that at all (cannot renew license because of tickets), as the TPA as I have mentioned, is a Municipal parking lot. Meaning, run by the city. Sterling or the other one, I'm guessing they are not run by the city, so you should be fine. I'm not sure if that's considered stealing though. You're basically renting a parking spot and not paying. Don't movie rental stores eventually nail you? I'm not sure, but hopefully it's alright.

Edit: I'm just an attendant!