• Jul 13th, 2016 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1227 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
zerotwo wrote: so what would u prefer? someone driving off and paying u zero, or someone trying to be honest and leaving a few hundred? if any one of the 3 ppl who hit my car left $300-$500 i would be super happy
If they left you $300 and the cost of the repair was $800, you would be super happy?
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes
Jenuine wrote: If they left you $300 and the cost of the repair was $800, you would be super happy?
do you realize the other side of the coin is they can just drive off and pay you zero?
and yes i would be ecstatic if they left $300 its better than them hitting my car, leaving, and paying ZERO
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes
Jenuine wrote: You actually do have to provide your info lol. Just because people didn't provide you with their info, it doesn't mean that it isn't against the law. Go hit someone's car, then when they ask for your information, refuse to give it to them and see how that works for you. You realize if they call the cops, the cops will come and tell you to give your information to the other driver, right? What would you do then, continue to refuse and insist that you know the law when you're clearly very ignorant of it?
under the law you're supposed to but no one does in parking lot hit and runs. get over it dude, the odds of someone hitting a car in parking lot and no ppl in that car, and leaving a note or sticking around is like 15-20%
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1227 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
zerotwo wrote: under the law you're supposed to but no one does in parking lot hit and runs. get over it dude, the odds of someone hitting a car in parking lot and no ppl in that car, and leaving a note or sticking around is like 15-20%
Oh, so now you admit that you're supposed to provide your information under the law LOL.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1073 posts
1106 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
zerotwo is basically saying it's 100% OK to commit crimes as long as you dont get caught.. Thanks for the great insight...
Apr 24, 2011
389 posts
156 upvotes
Scarborough
zerotwo wrote: ok but axis, can you explain to me this; if the "honesty" he did brought him to this end result, where the other party is now trying to scam him over some minor paint cosmetic damage probably worth a few hundred, what good was it to be honest?

people have hit my car in parking lots maybe 3-4 times in my life, you know how many times they left a note saying i did it? a big fat zero.
So you attack him and laugh at his misfortune because he tried doing the right thing? Hindsight is 20/20 and what you're advocating is behaviour nobody should be promoting. Nobody is arguing the fact that there are shitty ppl out there, but that doesn't mean everyone should aspire to encourage that shoddy behaviour because "everyone else does it".

Nobody held the door for me this morning, should I make sure the door slams into grandma's face behind me next time? Why would I bother wasting my time holding a door for someone behind me?

Being cautious to ensure that nobody screws you over is one thing, but it sounds like you assume everyone is dishonest and is purposely out to get you. That sounds poisonous to me and I hope you don't teach your children that sort of attitude.

I'm not some world-peace hippy either. I've experienced my share of being screwed over and there have been many times where I wish I had the opportunity to get even with trash. But I've also experienced a lot of good and the idiots shouldn't diminish the effect of good people.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
isChrissehh wrote: Context: scratched the paint off the bumper of a parked car. Nothing serious, left a note on their windshield.

At this point, the other driver has given me an estimate from their garage (they also had an inspection). Asked if I can pay their garage directly and they said okay. I saved their emails and went to pay the mech. I kept my receipt and the invoice.

I did everything how they want it and never argued with them on how to repair the car. I asked the mech and he said it's just a paint scratch, nothing more. Paid like $500 because they wanted car rental too. I said I paid for everything already, and they're good to go for bringing their car in for repairs. But they're not happy with me because I said that I finished paying the bill, because they say its not the final bill could be more damage that I did and I said no there is no more you had an inspection already. Then they say how dare I imply they are trying to scam me, if I don't listen to them they can give me my money and then we go through insurance.

Since I already paid, can I tell them to go away? Is there anything more I need to do to protect myself? I don't think they're going to sign anything for me at this point. Rather not go through insurance since I'm a young driver, and my rates will kill my wallet.
Estimates are just estimates - there can always be additional damage that was not seen. For example, when I was rear-ended I had my evap canister slightly cracked, which initially shows up as a loose gas cap code (and didn't show up right away) so it takes a little bit of troubleshooting (since the first step is to tighten the gas cap and drive for a bit).

If all they are doing is asking for you to pay the final bill then I do not see the problem - you will be able to see what the repair was for and ensure there is nothing extra added on (such as a dent you did not cause).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8546 posts
4917 upvotes
ON
TrevorK wrote: Estimates are just estimates - there can always be additional damage that was not seen. For example, when I was rear-ended I had my evap canister slightly cracked, which initially shows up as a loose gas cap code (and didn't show up right away) so it takes a little bit of troubleshooting (since the first step is to tighten the gas cap and drive for a bit).

If all they are doing is asking for you to pay the final bill then I do not see the problem - you will be able to see what the repair was for and ensure there is nothing extra added on (such as a dent you did not cause).
They did an inspection and gave a quote according to OP.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: They did an inspection and gave a quote according to OP.
An estimate is an estimate - it is not a final bill. There can be a difference in price between and estimate and the final price, and because the OP was at fault, this is their responsibility to cover.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8546 posts
4917 upvotes
ON
TrevorK wrote: An estimate is an estimate - it is not a final bill. There can be a difference in price between and estimate and the final price, and because the OP was at fault, this is their responsibility to cover.
By my limited experience with collision shops, once I have taken the vehicle there and they looked it over to their satisfaction, they give me a price quotation or estimate whatever you want to call it and that is the price I pay them for the work. This is a very simple paint and blend ,by their definition after inspection, so I don't see what would make the price go up save for the other guy waiting a year and then asking them to honour the quote.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: By my limited experience with collision shops, once I have taken the vehicle there and they looked it over to their satisfaction, they give me a price quotation or estimate whatever you want to call it and that is the price I pay them for the work. This is a very simple paint and blend ,by their definition after inspection, so I don't see what would make the price go up save for the other guy waiting a year and then asking them to honour the quote.
It's not always the case.

When I was rear-ended I obtained a quote for the other party - but the end price was $300 higher because they decided they needed to blend more, which required the removal of the rear windows (the fixed windows) and it was sub'ed out to a glass shop.

Another example is a shop that does a glue pull to remove a dent. The glue pull may remove paint - someone will have to pay for the repaint of that panel and it certainly will not be the shop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most of the time their quotes are pretty solid (within 10%). And this is why I do not understand the OP not wanting to pay the final bill - it seems that he is just wanting to pay the amount of the estimate, which may differ from the final bill. Someone will have to pay the difference, if there is a difference. The shop will not eat the cost.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)