Expired Hot Deals

[Pro Hockey Life] Skate Sharpening card $29.99 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 5:03 pm
[OP]
Dec 11, 2003
850 posts
1037 upvotes
Ottawa

[Pro Hockey Life] Skate Sharpening card $29.99 (50% off)

PRO HOCKEY LIFE HOCKEY SKATE SHARPENING CARD - 10X SHARPENING'S
$29.99

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/ ... ening-card

[ UPDATE ] The last day of the sale is December 12, Thursday.
Last edited by ravine on Dec 9th, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Jul 6, 2010
707 posts
1487 upvotes
Toronto
Does this card have an expiration date? Would I be able to spread out its usage over 2-3 years?
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2521 posts
262 upvotes
Winnipeg
Keep in mind the wait times and travel distance at Pro Hockey for skate sharpening vs your old timer sharpener at your local ring where you are going to skate or play hockey anyways.

Hours to days vs 15 minutes.

That said, it's a decent deal per sharpening. I pay about $7 at the rink and he takes off any blemishes and fixed any blade issues for free.
Last edited by BravoDeltaRomeo on Dec 6th, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2013
568 posts
118 upvotes
Oshawa
umopapisdnwei wrote: Does this card have an expiration date? Would I be able to spread out its usage over 2-3 years?
Yes...
Nov 26, 2006
62 posts
10 upvotes
Is anyone else getting charged $10 for shipping?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1591 posts
466 upvotes
If you buy in store when you're having your skates sharpened, they usually give you a free sharpening.

BTW, I've never seen an expiry date on these cards.
Feb 5, 2015
56 posts
64 upvotes
Nowhere
umopapisdnwei wrote: Does this card have an expiration date? Would I be able to spread out its usage over 2-3 years?
There's no expiry date on these cards.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2003
850 posts
1037 upvotes
Ottawa
[ UPDATE ] The last day of the sale is December 12, Thursday.
Aug 27, 2008
930 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
Genblue wrote: If you buy in store when you're having your skates sharpened, they usually give you a free sharpening.

BTW, I've never seen an expiry date on these cards.
Yes they do give you your first sharpening for free. I usually get 5 pairs done (2 for me and one for each of the kids and the wife) when getting the card. That's 15 sharpenings for $30... Essentially $2/pair. Pretty damn good deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3503 posts
1765 upvotes
Waterloo
Hope it's ok that I ask my questions here...
So I don't skate often, maybe a couple times per winter on an outdoor rink. How many hours of casual skating would it take on average before skates need to be sharpened again?

Does anyone know what the regular price to get skates sharpened once (without any card) is at places like pro hockey life, Canadian tire, sportchek, national sports, etc?

I guess I'm wondering if it's just better for me to get individual sharpenings at regular price since I don't skate much. A skate card could potentially last me a lifetime but then I'd have to remember to bring it, not lose the card, and the inconvenience of using only that store.
Dec 21, 2009
430 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: Hope it's ok that I ask my questions here...
So I don't skate often, maybe a couple times per winter on an outdoor rink. How many hours of casual skating would it take on average before skates need to be sharpened again?

Does anyone know what the regular price to get skates sharpened once (without any card) is at places like pro hockey life, Canadian tire, sportchek, national sports, etc?

I guess I'm wondering if it's just better for me to get individual sharpenings at regular price since I don't skate much. A skate card could potentially last me a lifetime but then I'd have to remember to bring it, not lose the card, and the inconvenience of using only that store.
You definitely don't need a sharpen card, and having well sharpened skates is less of a necessity on outdoor rinks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York
Is this unlimited skate sharpenings for life?
Nov 12, 2012
713 posts
431 upvotes
Calgary
dankup wrote: Is this unlimited skate sharpenings for life?
That would be a melt your face off lava hot deal, but no, this is for 10x skate sharpenings
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3503 posts
1765 upvotes
Waterloo
bbmello wrote: You definitely don't need a sharpen card, and having well sharpened skates is less of a necessity on outdoor rinks
How often do skates need to be sharpened though?
Feb 17, 2017
20 posts
4 upvotes
This place has the worst customer service. Never respond to emails and never answer the phone. Placed an order over a week ago and have received nothing comfirming purchase or shipping besides a statement from PayPal.
Feb 7, 2007
225 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: How often do skates need to be sharpened though?
Hard to say really. When you feel your edges starting to slip, then it's probably time to sharpen.

I've gone an entire men's league season on one sharpening but when I played competitively it'd be more like every couple of weeks because I'd be on the ice 4-5 times a week.
Dec 12, 2009
404 posts
205 upvotes
DudebuD wrote: Hard to say really. When you feel your edges starting to slip, then it's probably time to sharpen.

I've gone an entire men's league season on one sharpening but when I played competitively it'd be more like every couple of weeks because I'd be on the ice 4-5 times a week.
That's true, I get mine sharpened every yr or 2 even though I play hockey in a outdoor rink with the kid twice a week. I don't need aggressive edges. Whereas my kid gets his skates sharpened every 2-3 wks because he plays competitive hockey.
Feb 12, 2002
734 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
Does Sportchek honor the sharpening card? We only have 1 store at Tswwassen Mills but several Sportcheks around Vancouver area
Oct 28, 2019
158 posts
110 upvotes
Thanks for posting this. I just popped in and grabbed a card... at $3 for a sharpening that’s hard to beat, and this should last me through this season as well as the next.
Apr 26, 2009
706 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
bhp wrote: Does Sportchek honor the sharpening card? We only have 1 store at Tswwassen Mills but several Sportcheks around Vancouver area
I wouldn’t trust my skates at sport chek. Especially if you play any type of hockey.