Wheels and Tires

[Pro Move] Add Winter Tire Discount in May, remove in November ==> Profit??

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 7:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1872 posts
1784 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Pro Move] Add Winter Tire Discount in May, remove in November ==> Profit??

Any issues with adding winter tire discount in May and removing in November?

Is this against the rules?

The savings are not small!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10438 posts
4546 upvotes
I would suspect the discount is based on 12-month renewal.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1842 posts
934 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Why not just buy winter tires and use them? Then you can get the savings, and benefit from safer winter driving.

Or just buy a set of winter rated all seasons/all weathers if you don’t want to change wheels?
Sep 25, 2018
867 posts
1617 upvotes
No it is not against the rules... except that usually insurance will only allow you to add winter tire discount, but not remove, during the 1 year contract. Yes you can break the contract and find another insurer, but the penalty isn't cheap.

Chieftain insurance offer month-to-month contract, so you can practice this method. However, from my 2 years of experience with them, they usually raise the rate significantly every 6 months.

Here's another Pro-er move: sell your car and stop your auto insurance ==> Profit!
The savings will be even bigger.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14622 posts
8889 upvotes
Toronto
some people really are pathetic.

:facepalm:

Clearly a SCAM.

IBTL
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29741 posts
10462 upvotes
Swerny wrote: some people really are pathetic.

:facepalm:

Clearly a SCAM.

IBTL
LOL I would say more fraud than scam, but either way yeah don't think this is a "pro tip" or "pro move" as OP put it. As others mentioned it's unlikely you can do this either, or if you can it might only be a one-time allowance, and they won't allow you to continually switch it.

On a side note somehow when I added a second car (which is only summer driven) when I look at the policy it shows it also setup for winter tyres--I'm pretty sure they did because I basically asked them for same coverage on my other car? So I guess I might get a discount there? Not really sure if there's any actual discount in this case but I'm technically not violating the terms because I wouldn't be driving on non-winter tyres during those months...because I won't be driving the car during those months, period. I.e. for the months the "winter tyre discount" is setup for, the insurance would be "paused" anyway.

Also I'm unsure of this "savings are not small" bit from OP. Isn't the discount like 3-5% depending on insurer? If 5% is "not small", OP must already be paying some exorbitant insurance amount, no?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5095 posts
2001 upvotes
Clearly ... the troubles of even thinking of the scam path ...

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING IT!

And then ... the end result is getting yourself on the black list ... ending up being a HIGH RISK client and paying HIGH PREMIUMS because of the stupidity.

hahahahah
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2