• Dec 19th, 2020 12:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
2579 posts
1601 upvotes
Kelowna
@expresspotato That's a draft bill and only likely for the most egregious cases. Grey area cases are good-faith; any judge worth their salt would toss the case so fast and slap the federal government for prosecutorial misconduct.

This isn't even a grey area case; @Kiraly is not only good-faith, but, from my reading, is eligible for at least several weeks of CERB, at minimum.

Cheers,
Doug
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15824 posts
21570 upvotes
Vancouver
Update. My EI claim was closed in October. I received $8,500 total in CERB payments. Logging in to Service Canada shows only $6,500 in payments. Who knows why I got an extra $2k. I have not been asked to repay any of it. It's still sitting in a HISA. Will repay if I am asked to. If I get to keep it I will most likely put it in RRSP. Any suggestion on how long to wait before doing that? 6 months? 12?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1340 posts
849 upvotes
Waterloo
Kiraly wrote: Update. My EI claim was closed in October. I received $8,500 total in CERB payments. Logging in to Service Canada shows only $6,500 in payments. Who knows why I got an extra $2k. I have not been asked to repay any of it. It's still sitting in a HISA. Will repay if I am asked to. If I get to keep it I will most likely put it in RRSP. Any suggestion on how long to wait before doing that? 6 months? 12?
If you want to be safe, then wait til after you submit your tax return next and it gets assessed by the CRA, so probably 5-8 months?

Keep in mind the CRA can go back and audit past years, but as you’ve received the CERB in good faith I wouldn’t worry about it after their initial assessment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Yes, for people who applied for CERB fraudulently. I didnt apply for CERB fraudulently, in fact I didn’t even apply for it at all; I applied for EI and was given CERB anyway.
When you applied for EI after March 15, they gave you CERB, which is correct. But as you admitted that you earned more than $1K during those period. DID YOU report it on your bi-weekly reporting ? ?

Even if your EI claim is closed already, they can still do an audit down the line.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15824 posts
21570 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes I reported all my income in my biweekly EI report. Not the CERB income of course, because if that were reportable as income, everyone receiving CERB would be over $1k/month and ineligible. Catch-22.
Last edited by Kiraly on Dec 18th, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5750 posts
1785 upvotes
Toronto
no audit

scammers are free to keep EVERYTHING:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federa ... udeau.html

no one will have to pay a single PENNY back.

people have made $2K a month this year.... potentially $18 - $20K FOR FREE

read the article. This is taxpayers money that multiple ppl across the nation have taken advantage of (scammer, not ppl who needed the money obvi).

When was the last time the guv gave you a free cool $20K ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15824 posts
21570 upvotes
Vancouver
ez_86 wrote: no audit

scammers are free to keep EVERYTHING:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federa ... udeau.html

no one will have to pay a single PENNY back.

people have made $2K a month this year.... potentially $18 - $20K FOR FREE

read the article.
I read the article. It doesn’t say what you claim it says.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5750 posts
1785 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I read the article. It doesn’t say what you claim it says.
okay nvm

ppl will still have to re-pay but no interest then
Jun 18, 2015
565 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: I read the article. It doesn’t say what you claim it says.
lmao

just another momo to add to the ignore list