• Apr 16th, 2009 5:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 9, 2009
4 posts

Problem with $450 ticket last week loblaws

hello everyone,

I parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot for 2 miniutes to load my grocceries in the vehicle, once I came out i noticed a ticket for guess how much.... $450, i went to their customer service desk and they told me it would be the city that issues the ticket and not them... anyways I am absoloutly broke and I have no clue how iam going to pay $450.00, if anyone knows of a way to help me please let me know.

what I know so far,

I can go to court and a new fine might be set if i explain my situation on that day. is it possible to appeal the judges decison? for example the judge says i will have to pay 300 instead of 450.. can I appeal this and go for a second trial to further explain my action or is it a done deal.

any help is appreciated,

I am new to this site and I have been driving for 10 year without a single ticket of any kind. this is my first and hopefully last (knock on wood)
Share:
189 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2014 posts
234 upvotes
Lol what a noob. Quit crying you deserved it hahaha
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7848 posts
1020 upvotes
Ask someone to break your legs. If you were just loading groceries, then there's no way you would have gotten a ticket (not that this condones parking in the handicap spot anyway).
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1767 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto & north …
I think the "problem" would be for the handicapped person looking for a parking spot and finding none. Cough it up and don't do it again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8850 posts
5331 upvotes
If you `just parked it for 2mins to load groceries` you would have seen the guy give the ticket, no? Or did you perhaps park it there longer ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10707 posts
4066 upvotes
Corrolla265 wrote: hello everyone,

I parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot for 2 miniutes to load my grocceries in the vehicle, once I came out i noticed a ticket for guess how much.... $450, i went to their customer service desk and they told me it would be the city that issues the ticket and not them... anyways I am absoloutly broke and I have no clue how iam going to pay $450.00, if anyone knows of a way to help me please let me know.

what I know so far,

I can go to court and a new fine might be set if i explain my situation on that day. is it possible to appeal the judges decison? for example the judge says i will have to pay 300 instead of 450.. can I appeal this and go for a second trial to further explain my action or is it a done deal.

any help is appreciated,

I am new to this site and I have been driving for 10 year without a single ticket of any kind. this is my first and hopefully last (knock on wood)
you DESERVE the ticket
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12218 posts
144 upvotes
parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot

You deserve that ticket. Suck it up.

if you are broke, maybe you shouldnt be taking such risks.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27837 posts
7980 upvotes
Hamilton
no idea why you would park in a handicap spot, oh wait
Jan 23, 2005
133 posts
19 upvotes
Wow, people can be pretty harsh. If I was you I'd take to court. You should be able to sue for the anguish this has caused you.

I'd tell the judge you probably just took the spot from some jackass with a handicap sign that they got from their elderly parent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8999 posts
1954 upvotes
Honestly and not trying to be funny the only way that I can see around this is to say that you were handicapped by not being able to read. Other than that I'd say your goose is cooked.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1306 upvotes
Sauga
Corrolla265 wrote: I parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot for 2 miniutes to load my grocceries in the vehicle, once I came out i noticed a ticket
:confused: "came out"? Weren't you already outside if you were just loading groceries into the car?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1270 posts
136 upvotes
Beamsville
OK I'll ask the obvious questions....

1)Did you park in a Handicap spot?
2)Do you have a handicap parking permit?

If the answer to the first is Yes and the second question is No I would think they answer to your problem is quite obvious. Pay the damn ticket that you deservedly were given.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19143 posts
2863 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lesson learned. Go to court and see if they will lower the fine.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
I don't see why you should get any reduction in the ticket amount. You parked in a handicap spot. There is no reason why it is "OK" for you to do so unless you are handicapped. Also parking in front of any store in a fire route is not acceptable before you try that. Turning on your four way flashers while committing an offence is not "OK" either. You will have to pony up the cash, or place the amount on your credit card. From now on, you should walk to your car parked in the parking lot. The rest of us do it without harm.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
Just fight it dude
You'll win 100%
it's a toronto ticket but the issuing officer is probably some security guard who works for loblaws, you think he's gonna show up?
easiest excuse is, you found the ticket on the floor beside your car, it wasn't on your windshield. nobody will be there to defend against this.
Nov 18, 2004
538 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I would take the reactions of most of the people on this thread as a good indication of the general public's opinion - don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.
Banned
Apr 6, 2009
21 posts
Please accept full responsibility for the ticket.

We can't always win in life.

Regards,
Dec 31, 1969
Responsibility is conformity - Stick it to the Man! :D
[OP]
Apr 9, 2009
4 posts
some very harsh comments here,

this is exactly what happend, i told my daughter who is 8 by the way to wait near the door with the grocerries so I can pull up the car to the front, our car was way back and I dont think my 8 year old child can push 2 full carts all the way to the back of the lot, also there is bars that restrain you from taking the carts at all. when I came back and parked the car in the handi cap spot my daughter was inside fooling around with the vending machines, I than purchased some ice, this all took no more than 2-3 minuites tops, I came out and saw there was a ticket and it was mine cause there was obvioisly my licence number on that ticket. anyways whats done is done, now my question as i asked before, instead of bashing people like 5 year olds why dont you give some positive feedback.
and the reason i do not want to pay the ticket is due to the fact that councillors in city hall can sit on their fat ass and have citizens like us pay for their vications, and aspirin pills. you all know what I am talking about and how corrupt most of them are so please dont tell me to pay a 450 dollar ticket so some person can go to a 5 store hotel in shanghai

Can I appeal the judges decison?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20082 posts
3953 upvotes
Toronto
To answer your question, no, you probably can't. A ticket for parking in a handicapped spot is a pretty binary situation, you're either guilty or not. There really isn't much grey area. Since you admitted you parked in the spot you'll have to pay it, personal feelings about city council aside.