• Apr 16th, 2009 5:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2001
1417 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
originalnutta wrote: parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot

You deserve that ticket. Suck it up.

if you are broke, maybe you shouldnt be taking such risks.
+1 I'm all for taking tickets to court and fighting them (speeding, parking tickets, etc) but you parked in a handicap spot..You definitely deserved that ticket.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1101 posts
9 upvotes
First of all, I say always fight a ticket, even if what you did was pretty low.

However, if you are broke why are you spending money on ice - to make rum and cokes? And why would you knock someone up if you have no money, do you expect taxpayers to pay for your daughter's education too?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5729 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Why should you deserve ANY positive feedback??

You 5 year old will remember that you parked in that spot, so you are teaching your kid a VERY bad thing.

And there is NO "problem" with the $450 ticket, parking in a handicapped spot is about the WORST thing you can do. We have veterans(among many others) that use these spots, you know the ones that went to war so YOU can enjoy this beautiful country.

Pay the ticket, and act for like somebody with a conscience!

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Corrolla265 wrote: hello everyone,

I parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot for 2 miniutes to load my grocceries in the vehicle, once I came out i noticed a ticket for guess how much.... $450, i went to their customer service desk and they told me it would be the city that issues the ticket and not them... anyways I am absoloutly broke and I have no clue how iam going to pay $450.00, if anyone knows of a way to help me please let me know.

what I know so far,

I can go to court and a new fine might be set if i explain my situation on that day. is it possible to appeal the judges decison? for example the judge says i will have to pay 300 instead of 450.. can I appeal this and go for a second trial to further explain my action or is it a done deal.

any help is appreciated,

I am new to this site and I have been driving for 10 year without a single ticket of any kind. this is my first and hopefully last (knock on wood)
A parking ticket is a municipal issue, so you'll have to go to where it says on the ticket. Call the number to set up an appointment to dispute the ticket. At first you won't be going in front of a judge but some schmuck at the enforcement office. They'll typically reduce the fine for you, especially if it's your first ticket, and if the reduced amount is too much for you to pay, you can make payment in installments. I don't think they'll even charge you interest to pay in installments.

Bottom line is you screwed up. Act nicely when you deal with them and they'll work with you. If you're not happy with the settlement they've offered you, the case will go to trial. If the ticket was issued in Toronto you may get lucky because they have a really big back log. I'm not so sure in other municipalities. The court option may prove more expensive. If the case gets to trial and you lose, you'll have to pay court costs too.
Aug 3, 2006
790 posts
1 upvote
Which Loblaws doesn't allow you to take a shopping cart within the parking lot?

Too bad stupidity isn't a handyicap, eh?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1306 upvotes
Sauga
If you go fight your ticket, don't make two of the mistakes you made here:

1) Claiming all you did was loading your groceries when in reality you went to buy something too.

2) Claiming there are no other options. If "there is bars that restrain you from taking the carts at all", then there must be some sort of loading area. And if carts can be taken out then all you had to do it take one cart by yourself while your daughter watched the other one, and then come back to get her and the second cart. Parking illegally was not your only option.

If you make your case in the same way you did in your first post, it will make you look disingenuous and probably hurt your chance of getting leniency.

Which Loblaws location was it, by the way?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2014 posts
234 upvotes
Just because you drive a corrolla it doesn't give you the right to run roughshod over parking rules lol
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2803 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Corrolla265 wrote: I can go to court and a new fine might be set if i explain my situation on that day. is it possible to appeal the judges decison? for example the judge says i will have to pay 300 instead of 450.. can I appeal this and go for a second trial to further explain my action or is it a done deal.
If Toronto has first attendance meetings with the prosecutor for parking offences, you can possibly have it reduced from $450.

In some specific circumstances, a Justice's decision can be appealed by the defendant or the prosecutor, where the Justice made an error or an error in law occurred. There are also costs involved for an appeal, for transcripts, legal repsesentaiton, etc. But that does not always turn out well, as I have seen penalties increased on appeal.

And for your other comments about Council, they set the penalty high enough to act as a deterrent to drivers abusing disabled parking, but it still gets abused, and some drivers get caught.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20886 posts
5464 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
You deserved that one.

Actually, getting out of City of Toronto parking tickets is pretty easy and has been discussed extensively on this board, but I won't post any info on it because you really did deserve this one. :|
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4157 posts
1107 upvotes
You parked on a handicap spot and got a ticket. You should've considered yourself lucky. Because you can be ticketed AND towed if you left it there long enough.

I'd seen ppl parked on handicap spot without plate at private mall/plaza many times even spots particularly for cars with infants. They are for the convenience of others who really need them and not for the selfish kind.

I don't know what kind of advice you are looking for in here besides fighting the ticket. Another choice is move out to a country where ppl only care about themselves. Then you don't have to pay the ticket.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Apr 9, 2009
2 posts
Milton/Mississuga
You know everyone is always in a rush. Basically if you dont have $$$ and you drive, you dont park where it says NO PARKING, you dont SPEED, and you DONT park in a handicap zone for any reason. I feel sorry you had to pay that, but there is no excuse for parking in a handicap zone what so ever!!! It is clearly marked on the road that it is a handicap zone! You were too lazy to bring your groceries to your car. So all you can do is hope that you have a sincere judge. HOWEVER, your completely at fault and i hope you take this as a learning experience. Get some common sense! That is why we have traffic laws and you knowingly broke one. Sorry better think twice next time and dont be lazy!
Dec 31, 1969
[QUOTE]now my question as i asked before, instead of bashing people like 5 year olds why dont you give some positive feedback.[/QUOTE]

You did nothing wrong.
You are a good person.
You can do whatever you like - rules are for other people.
The posters here are immature because they don't understand.

There now, do you feel better about yourself.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1079 posts
49 upvotes
Thornhill
Life is balanced. You gain some, you lose some, and vice versa.

You can fight and get your fine reduced (I agree with liorsyncro).

Or you can pay your ticket, and tell you daughter that you made a mistake and you're correting it. For your daughter, this lesson is worth much more than the $450.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
362 upvotes
Etobicoke
nx2k wrote: Just fight it dude
You'll win 100%
it's a toronto ticket but the issuing officer is probably some security guard who works for loblaws, you think he's gonna show up?
easiest excuse is, you found the ticket on the floor beside your car, it wasn't on your windshield. nobody will be there to defend against this.
You are joking right?
Corrolla265 wrote: some very harsh comments here,

this is exactly what happend, i told my daughter who is 8 by the way to wait near the door with the grocerries so I can pull up the car to the front, our car was way back and I dont think my 8 year old child can push 2 full carts all the way to the back of the lot, also there is bars that restrain you from taking the carts at all. when I came back and parked the car in the handi cap spot my daughter was inside fooling around with the vending machines, I than purchased some ice, this all took no more than 2-3 minuites tops, I came out and saw there was a ticket and it was mine cause there was obvioisly my licence number on that ticket. anyways whats done is done, now my question as i asked before, instead of bashing people like 5 year olds why dont you give some positive feedback.
and the reason i do not want to pay the ticket is due to the fact that councillors in city hall can sit on their fat ass and have citizens like us pay for their vications, and aspirin pills. you all know what I am talking about and how corrupt most of them are so please dont tell me to pay a 450 dollar ticket so some person can go to a 5 store hotel in shanghai

Can I appeal the judges decison?
As to 'exactly what happened', thousands of people do it all the time, every day of the week. We all have to find a way to get our groceries to the car. Cry me a freakin' river dude. Even my handicapped mother when she can't get a handicapped parking spot cuz some jerk just like you is too freakin' lazy to carry your groceries to your car.

As to your city councillors and all that crap, would you mind explaining what that has to do with my handicapped mother having to get her groceries to her car in a non-handicapped spot, with a cane in one hand, cuz some jerk like you....well, you get it? I personally don't give a crap what your city councillors are doing, I care about my handicapped mom, who those spots are for!
Apr 11, 2008
281 posts
Nikita wrote: ........Cry me a freakin' river dude. Even my handicapped mother when she can't get a handicapped parking spot cuz some jerk just like you is too freakin' lazy to carry your groceries to your car.
....my handicapped mother having to get her groceries to her car in a non-handicapped spot, with a cane in one hand, cuz some jerk like you....
Wow! Cool it Nikita..... been a while since you lost it like that :o

OP: Fight the ticket is the most positive feedback anyone can give you.
As for the corrupt people in the corridors of power, it is not right to take your frustrations or inequalities in life out on your fellow (handicapped) citizens
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
362 upvotes
Etobicoke
bobby5 wrote: Wow! Cool it Nikita..... been a while since you lost it like that :o

OP: Fight the ticket is the most positive feedback anyone can give you.
As for the corrupt people in the corridors of power, it is not right to take your frustrations or inequalities in life out on your fellow (handicapped) citizens

LOL...sorrrrry! But yeah, I got this image in my head of my mom struggling with her groceries while this perfectly capable young guy is taking up a spot that would.....anyway, yeah, I'm a little overprotective when it comes to my mom. Just didn't realize it showed so much... :o
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
To be honest, I feel that the handicapped parking space rules need to be enforced strictly. Able bodied people that park in those spaces, have a certain mentality that can be very dangerous,

Anyways, to the OP.... Plead guilty with an explanation and ask for a reduced fine due to your financial situation. If you have a good sob story the JP will probably have the decency to ease the fine up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
Corrolla265 wrote: hello everyone,

I parked my car in loblaws in toronto the other day in the handicap spot for 2 miniutes to load my grocceries in the vehicle, once I came out i noticed a ticket for guess how much.... $450, i went to their customer service desk and they told me it would be the city that issues the ticket and not them... anyways I am absoloutly broke and I have no clue how iam going to pay $450.00, if anyone knows of a way to help me please let me know.

what I know so far,

I can go to court and a new fine might be set if i explain my situation on that day. is it possible to appeal the judges decison? for example the judge says i will have to pay 300 instead of 450.. can I appeal this and go for a second trial to further explain my action or is it a done deal.

any help is appreciated,

I am new to this site and I have been driving for 10 year without a single ticket of any kind. this is my first and hopefully last (knock on wood)
I am one of those persons who has a permit to park in one of those spots....it is nothing more than a huge frustration when someone without a permit parks in one of those spots and you have to walk from the other end of a parking lot....sorry my friend, but the ticket was warranted, be glad it was for that small amount, if you ask me, should have been a higher fine!
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
camber wrote: To be honest, I feel that the handicapped parking space rules need to be enforced strictly. Able bodied people that park in those spaces, have a certain mentality that can be very dangerous,

Anyways, to the OP.... Plead guilty with an explanation and ask for a reduced fine due to your financial situation. If you have a good sob story the JP will probably have the decency to ease the fine up.
I agree, but he should just pay the fine and learn from this.....
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6366 posts
245 upvotes
Like most others, I have no patience for people who park in handicapped spots when they're not entitled. There is no excuse.

Another thing people need to watch out for is to park too close to a handicapped spot, especially if there is a vehicle parked there already. Reason being, many years ago I walked out a restaurant and was approaching my car and these 4 guys in wheelchairs asked me if I could move their van for them. They were parked in a handicapped spot but a car was parked real close to it and they could not get into it because there wasn't enough room for their wheelchairs to get into the van. It was a specially equipped on with the hydraulics and all but I felt so bad for these guys as there was no way they could get into their van.

Was one of those things that you just don't often think about but ever since that day I'm careful. I think it's less apt to happen these days though as they make some pretty big spots now.

As most on here have said, pay the ticket and don't ever do it again. It's just not right, plain and simple.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)