Automotive

Locked: Problem with $450 ticket last week loblaws

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2009 5:50 pm
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2008
667 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
The judge will laugh at you because you knew it was a handicap spot so you knew the consequence... My parents parked at a handicap spot once by mistake but my dad got the ticket thrown out because my mom was sick and he got a handicap permit for her anyways after so the judge took all of that into consideration.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2007
582 posts
12 upvotes
Grocery shopping is not easy.

All the best with fighting the ticket.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: What grocery stores don't let shoppers take a cart to their car?? I mean, seriously?
Areas which customers are prone to taking them off the store property. Cities levy a charge to the store for each stray cart they find. Although now the problem is solved with wheels that lock as soon as they leave the store perimeter.
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
1 upvote
If you are NOT handicapped, then it should NOT have been a problem for you to park in a spot NOT designated for the handicapped.

So many times I see people taking handicapped spots only because they are just too lazy to park a few spaces away. Every time I wish that they could be caught doing it. You knew the risks.
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
1 upvote
Corrolla265 wrote: some very harsh comments here,

this is exactly what happend, i told my daughter who is 8 by the way to wait near the door with the grocerries so I can pull up the car to the front, our car was way back and I dont think my 8 year old child can push 2 full carts all the way to the back of the lot, also there is bars that restrain you from taking the carts at all. when I came back and parked the car in the handi cap spot my daughter was inside fooling around with the vending machines, I than purchased some ice, this all took no more than 2-3 minuites tops, I came out and saw there was a ticket and it was mine cause there was obvioisly my licence number on that ticket. anyways whats done is done, now my question as i asked before, instead of bashing people like 5 year olds why dont you give some positive feedback.
and the reason i do not want to pay the ticket is due to the fact that councillors in city hall can sit on their fat ass and have citizens like us pay for their vications, and aspirin pills. you all know what I am talking about and how corrupt most of them are so please dont tell me to pay a 450 dollar ticket so some person can go to a 5 store hotel in shanghai

Can I appeal the judges decison?
Why would your 8-year-old child have to push both carts of groceries? What would YOU be doing? Who pushed both carts through the store?
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
506 posts
HighFlyer wrote: Although now the problem is solved with wheels that lock as soon as they leave the store perimeter.
do you know what makes the wheels lock? it doesn't look like the carts have transponders and electric brakes in them.
Member
May 5, 2007
271 posts
3 upvotes
Fight it.

Whether you were wrong or not (you were wrong, just don't do it again next time), fight the ticket because there is a chance you get the fine reduced or thrown out completely.

Don't listen to those people that say you were wrong, own up to it bla bla bla, it's your money and your right to challenge the ticket.

I recently got a reduced speeding ticket to 10 over last summer, fought it a few weeks back, and luckily the copper didn't show up. It's always better to fight it then not to, even if you get a reduced fine. This depends if you have to go through too much effort though to do it (ie. if you're losing money during the day at work etc)

To the chumps that say, "please please please don't fight it, it's a waste of my taxpayer money", please, listen to yourself. The services of the judges, JP, prosecutors, court workers etc are already budgeted. If you don't fight your ticket, the next person will anyways. Traffic courts are always clogged regardless. How much taxpayer money is it for you anyways for something that has already been budgeted? For the government to make good use of taxpayer money, they'd have to spend more wisely on all fronts, not just traffic court.

So next time you get a ticket Jon Lai, please be a chump and go pay it.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1296 upvotes
Sauga
_protege_ wrote: To the chumps that say, "please please please don't fight it, it's a waste of my taxpayer money", please, listen to yourself. The services of the judges, JP, prosecutors, court workers etc are already budgeted. If you don't fight your ticket, the next person will anyways. Traffic courts are always clogged regardless. How much taxpayer money is it for you anyways for something that has already been budgeted? For the government to make good use of taxpayer money, they'd have to spend more wisely on all fronts, not just traffic court.
:lol: What a silly argument. The resources have been allocated to the court system because there are so many people fighting their tickets. Budgets don't get created out of thin air. If more people owned up to their mistakes and paid the fines they earned instead of feeling entitled to a reduction, then the budget allocated to these resources would be reduced.
If you don't fight your ticket, the next person will anyways.
Yeah, because of the stupid advice from people that say "fight every ticket!". :rolleyes: It's easy to see here who pays taxes and who mooches off others' contributions. Guess what -- the world doesn't actually revolve around you! Shocker, isn't it?

How about not doing dumb things to get that ticket in the first place?? Save us ALL some time and resources.
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
1 upvote
_protege_ wrote: Fight it.

Whether you were wrong or not (you were wrong, just don't do it again next time), fight the ticket because there is a chance you get the fine reduced or thrown out completely.

Don't listen to those people that say you were wrong, own up to it bla bla bla, it's your money and your right to challenge the ticket.

I recently got a reduced speeding ticket to 10 over last summer, fought it a few weeks back, and luckily the copper didn't show up. It's always better to fight it then not to, even if you get a reduced fine. This depends if you have to go through too much effort though to do it (ie. if you're losing money during the day at work etc)

To the chumps that say, "please please please don't fight it, it's a waste of my taxpayer money", please, listen to yourself. The services of the judges, JP, prosecutors, court workers etc are already budgeted. If you don't fight your ticket, the next person will anyways. Traffic courts are always clogged regardless. How much taxpayer money is it for you anyways for something that has already been budgeted? For the government to make good use of taxpayer money, they'd have to spend more wisely on all fronts, not just traffic court.

So next time you get a ticket Jon Lai, please be a chump and go pay it.

AGREED...always fight it and NEVER just admit guilt. Do you think the government ever would? It IS possible that you are not guilty of what you were accused of.

If you want to just hand over money to everybody who accuses you of something and want to help the insurance companies who are looking for any excuse to up your rates, then by all means, just pay it and stick your head in the sand...for the rest of your life.
Sr. Member
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
glacierice wrote: Wow, people can be pretty harsh. If I was you I'd take to court. You should be able to sue for the anguish this has caused you.

I'd tell the judge you probably just took the spot from some jackass with a handicap sign that they got from their elderly parent.
How are people being harsh? There is no excuse for parking in a handicap spot unless you are handicapped.

Go a head and challenge it if you want as people have mentioned. It's your right. But it's people with attitudes like yours who would park there in the first place that are a major problem with society today. As others mentioned, you deserve the ticket.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
Corrolla265 wrote: I have been driving for 10 year without a single ticket of any kind.
Better yet, how many times have you illegally parked, but got caught only this once....

Echoing what others have said, you deserve the ticket.
Member
May 5, 2007
271 posts
3 upvotes
Rehan wrote: :lol: What a silly argument. The resources have been allocated to the court system because there are so many people fighting their tickets. Budgets don't get created out of thin air. If more people owned up to their mistakes and paid the fines they earned instead of feeling entitled to a reduction, then the budget allocated to these resources would be reduced.

Yeah, because of the stupid advice from people that say "fight every ticket!". :rolleyes: It's easy to see here who pays taxes and who mooches off others' contributions. Guess what -- the world doesn't actually revolve around you! Shocker, isn't it?

How about not doing dumb things to get that ticket in the first place?? Save us ALL some time and resources.
Silly argument? Why don't you learn to think for yourself?

The reality of the situation is that most people already do not own up to their fine and pay it. The ones that do are a doormat. Most people would rather dispute it. Disputing a traffic ticket is a part of our legal process. The government anticipates this and the money is budgeted for it regardless. Yes, less people disputing their ticket would mean less taxpayer money put towards traffic court. Will this be a significant amount? Probably not. What kind of backwards thinking is this? To think "hmmm if I own up to it, hopefully everyone else will, and our taxpayer money won't be wasted". How naive are you? Come back down to earth. People will take advantage of whatever they can to help themselves out of a situation like a traffic ticket. For every 3 people that own up to their ticket, theres gonna be 15 others that are willing to fight it. If this if that, please. If we all stopped driving cars the environment would be better off.

To generalize who pays their taxes and who "mooches off others' contributions" based on who/who doesn't pay their traffic tickets is ******** thinking. I pay a lot of taxes, and if I get a ticket I will damn well make sure I fight it because a couple dollars of my taxes have gone into the legal system. I'd better damn well use the legal system. Just because one fights a traffic ticket means they're mooching off other people's taxes? How pathetic.

Yes, it is stupid to fight a traffic ticket. Stupid to get it thrown out. Stupid to not get your insurance rate increased. Please.
Yes, if I fight a traffic ticket, the world revolves around me. hahaha.
I'm sure taxpayer money put towards fighting traffic tickets is at the bottom of the list of inefficient government spending.

Do yourself a favour. If you ever get a traffic ticket please always pay for it. The ticket and cop indicate that you are guilty, therefore you should be. If you don't fight your ticket I will love you to death because you'll be saving us taxpayers so much money! yay! you saved us a few dollars. But wait, theres 20 other people fighting that same ticket.

Peace out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5669 posts
1389 upvotes
_protege_ wrote: Silly argument? Why don't you learn to think for yourself?

The reality of the situation is that most people already do not own up to their fine and pay it. The ones that do are a doormat. Most people would rather dispute it. Disputing a traffic ticket is a part of our legal process. The government anticipates this and the money is budgeted for it regardless. Yes, less people disputing their ticket would mean less taxpayer money put towards traffic court. Will this be a significant amount? Probably not. What kind of backwards thinking is this? To think "hmmm if I own up to it, hopefully everyone else will, and our taxpayer money won't be wasted". How naive are you? Come back down to earth. People will take advantage of whatever they can to help themselves out of a situation like a traffic ticket. For every 3 people that own up to their ticket, theres gonna be 15 others that are willing to fight it. If this if that, please. If we all stopped driving cars the environment would be better off.

To generalize who pays their taxes and who "mooches off others' contributions" based on who/who doesn't pay their traffic tickets is ******** thinking. I pay a lot of taxes, and if I get a ticket I will damn well make sure I fight it because a couple dollars of my taxes have gone into the legal system. I'd better damn well use the legal system. Just because one fights a traffic ticket means they're mooching off other people's taxes? How pathetic.

Yes, it is stupid to fight a traffic ticket. Stupid to get it thrown out. Stupid to not get your insurance rate increased. Please.
Yes, if I fight a traffic ticket, the world revolves around me. hahaha.
I'm sure taxpayer money put towards fighting traffic tickets is at the bottom of the list of inefficient government spending.

Do yourself a favour. If you ever get a traffic ticket please always pay for it. The ticket and cop indicate that you are guilty, therefore you should be. If you don't fight your ticket I will love you to death because you'll be saving us taxpayers so much money! yay! you saved us a few dollars. But wait, theres 20 other people fighting that same ticket.

Peace out.
+ 1

We are all allowed due process no matter how guilty we think/know we are.

We all pay taxes, some more than others (not bragging), so taking advantage of any and all LEGAL means to contest the ticket and work within the system is our right and duty.

Although I believe what the OP did was disgusting, he/she is entitled to the same due process as others.
___________________________________________
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1296 upvotes
Sauga
mystery wrote: We all pay taxes, some more than others (not bragging), so taking advantage of any and all LEGAL means to contest the ticket and work within the system is our right and duty.
It may be a right, but it's certainly not a duty. It's perfectly legal to be an idiot...it is within your right. But it's not your duty, and it's usually not advisable.

The same applies to fighting tickets when you know your guilt. It's within your right, but it's not your duty and it's not always advisable.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1296 upvotes
Sauga
_protege_ wrote: Do yourself a favour. If you ever get a traffic ticket please always pay for it. The ticket and cop indicate that you are guilty, therefore you should be. If you don't fight your ticket I will love you to death because you'll be saving us taxpayers so much money! yay! you saved us a few dollars.
Yup, I've paid the two tickets that I got because I was guilty (and no, my insurance didn't go up as a result). Of course you love me, because what I did was good for you and everything DOES revolve around you... you just showed it with your post. :razz:
_protege_ wrote: I pay a lot of taxes, and if I get a ticket I will damn well make sure I fight it because a couple dollars of my taxes have gone into the legal system. I'd better damn well use the legal system.
Thankfully not the whole world feels so self-centered and self-entitled.

Let's add a fine for those that abuse the system, and then we'll see how far the "fight every ticket" advice goes.
Member
May 5, 2007
271 posts
3 upvotes
Rehan wrote: Yup, I've paid the two tickets that I got because I was guilty (and no, my insurance didn't go up as a result). Of course you love me, because what I did was good for you and everything DOES revolve around you... you just showed it with your post. :razz:

Thankfully not the whole world feels so self-centered and self-entitled.

Let's add a fine for those that abuse the system, and then we'll see how far the "fight every ticket" advice goes.
You're talking out of your ass! 2 tickets (guilty) = 2 convictions. Ask any insurance agent or anyone that knows what they're talking about and they will say that 2 convictions on your record mean an insurance increase. Unless these were parking tickets, then yeah you're just a doormat.

Again, fighting a ticket (even if guilty) does not mean one is self-centred and self-entitled. It means they are using some of their brain. You might want to try that sometime. Try to think like this: it would take a substantial amount of people to not fight their ticket to make any significant dent into tax payer money NOT going into traffic court.

Maybe step away from your computer, post a couple thousand times less, use your brain, drive around, and get caught in a speedtrap.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1296 upvotes
Sauga
Corrolla265 wrote: I will bet my house that all the people thay say pay the ticket have never paid a ticket in their life
Be careful...you wouldn't want to lose your house in addition to the $450!
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1296 upvotes
Sauga
_protege_ wrote: You're talking out of your ass! 2 tickets (guilty) = 2 convictions. Ask any insurance agent or anyone that knows what they're talking about and they will say that 2 convictions on your record mean an insurance increase.
Umm...ever think that those tickets could be more than 3 years apart? I'm just stating a fact -- I have received two tickets, and my rates did not go up.
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
Avatar wrote: ... Another choice is move out to a country where ppl only care about themselves. Then you don't have to pay the ticket.
Or move to Manitoba, but they'd probably still make you pay the ticket...

Top